The hot stove season continues, but there has been little action on the trade front.
The Phillies tendered contracts to their arbitration eligible players and announced some additional changes to the major league coaching staff. They also announced a lot of front office promotions and hires.
Shohei Ohtani has finally posted and has identified the some of the teams he has and hasn’t interest in.
The Stanton situation has moved to a new level of discourse.
Teams prepare for the Winter Meetings next week.
Organizational News and Changes
The Phillies tendered contracts to Freddy Galvis, Cesar Hernandez, Mauikel Franco, Cameron Rupp, and Luis Garcia. The five players represent the only players who are arbitration eligible this off season. Todd Zolecki broke the news Friday.
Mark Appel and Alberto Tirado cleared waivers and were outrighted to Lehigh Valley. Zolecki broke that story early last week.
The Phillies announced separate stories that Mickey Morandini and Dick Allen will be team ambassadors and a bunch of promotions and hires within baseball operations. A lot of the new hires were scouts who were trained at the Complex this summer. One notable hire is Corinne Landrey. The former writer/managing editor at Crashburn Alley was hired as an R&D analyst. She had interned in the same role for the Phillies last season.
The Phillies will be announcing the hiring of Yankees bench coach Rob Thomson in the same role for manager Gabe Kapler. They also announced Friday that Rick Kranitz will be their pitching coach and the hiring of Chris Young as his assistant pitching coach. Most recently, Young was a scout with the Astros. I think that leaves just the first base coaching position open. The manager’s position in Lehigh Valley also remains vacant. And their have been no announcements regarding the Phillies’ second GCL team.
Mark Polishuk writes for MLBTR that the Cesar Hernandez (Angels) and Freddy Galvis (Padres) are drawing trade interest.
According to Zolecki, the Phillies will make their pitch to Otani. Considered a long shot, at least the Phillies haven’t been eliminated like the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, A’s, Pirates, Mets, Brewers, and Diamondbacks. Still, the remaining west coast teams have an advantage with the Rangers and Cubs possibility still in the mix. It’s kind of neat to see Yankees fans whining about their team’s early exclusion in the Ohtabi sweepstakes.
And, this week’s Stanton news includes revelations that the Marlins have the framework for agreements in place with the Cardinals and Giants. Stanton’s people have met with representatives from the teams. I don’t know the Cardinals’ offer but an early report I read had the Giants surrendering 27-year old 2B Joe Panik (2011, first round, 29th overall), and their #2 and #3 prospects, and OF/1B Chris Shaw (2015, 1st round, 31st overall) and RHP Tyler Beede (2014, 1st round, 14th overall). My Twitter blew up with criticism of what sounds like a poor return for Stanton.
Several former Phillies’ prospects have found jobs. Williams Astudillo and his meager K and BB rates are on the move again, he signed with the Twins. Michael Mariot signed with the Padres. Joely Rodriguez, Angelo Mora, and Perci Garner signed with the Orioles. Chace Numata signed with the Yankees. Jesen Therrien (2-years) and Pat Venditte signed with the Dodgers. Twenty-seven year olds Cody Asche and Kelly Dugan are available.
Winter ball stats are available here.
The Liga de Béisbol Profesional Roberto Clemente will play a shortened, 21-game schedule with 4 teams beginning on January 6, 2018.
Less than half of 38 players (like maybe 13) are still active in winter ball as you can see by the Last Date column below. Abdullah Aris mad his first appearance this weekend,
|Cabral, Edgar||Nov. 15||GDD||AFL||0.298||14||47||2||14||2||0||0||4||3||13||0||0||0.353||0.340||0.693|
|Green, Zach||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0.258||18||62||10||16||4||0||2||6||4||20||0||0||0.324||0.419||0.743|
|Randolph, Cornelius||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0.239||19||71||10||17||4||1||0||8||7||20||2||1||0.308||0.324||0.632|
|Campbell, Derek||Dec. 2||CAI||COL||0.247||22||89||5||22||2||2||0||7||9||24||0||4||0.323||0.315||0.638|
|Martin, Kyle||Dec. 2||CAI||COL||0.272||22||81||9||22||4||0||1||9||14||17||1||2||0.388||0.358||0.746|
|Alfaro, Jorge||Dec. 2||TOR||COL||0.333||14||51||4||17||3||0||1||14||3||13||0||0||0.382||0.451||0.833|
|Cumana, Grenny||Dec. 2||TOR||COL||0.274||22||84||8||23||4||0||0||11||4||8||0||0||0.315||0.321||0.636|
|Gamboa, Arquimedes||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||0.214||17||56||2||12||3||0||0||6||7||15||1||1||0.302||0.268||0.570|
|Williams, Luke||Dec. 2||TOR||COL||0.258||22||89||12||23||2||0||0||4||13||25||2||1||0.359||0.281||0.640|
|Alvarez, Eliezer||Dec. 2||ESC||LIDOM||0.150||15||20||6||3||0||0||0||0||4||7||1||1||0.320||0.150||0.470|
|Moore, Logan||Nov. 30||EST||LIDOM||0.148||13||27||6||4||1||0||0||2||4||11||0||0||0.258||0.185||0.443|
|Perkins, Cameron||Nov. 1||GIG||LIDOM||0.258||9||31||9||8||3||0||0||3||5||3||1||0||0.351||0.355||0.706|
|Quinn, Roman||Oct. 22||TOR||LIDOM||0.125||6||16||2||2||1||0||0||0||2||5||0||0||0.222||0.188||0.410|
|Walding, Mitch||Nov. 12||MOC||LMP||0.228||23||79||9||18||4||0||3||10||16||23||0||2||0.365||0.392||0.757|
|Alastre, Jesus||Nov. 5||ARA||LVBP||0.176||13||17||3||3||0||0||0||0||1||4||0||0||0.222||0.176||0.399|
|Vielma, Engelb||Dec. 3||ARA||LVBP||0.176||19||51||4||9||1||1||0||0||4||10||0||0||0.250||0.235||0.485|
|Blanco, Andres||Nov. 30||MAG||LVBP||0.314||36||137||27||43||7||1||3||10||22||30||2||3||0.440||0.445||0.886|
|Gomez, Jose||Dec. 2||LAG||LVBP||0.179||22||56||5||10||0||0||1||5||2||5||2||0||0.220||0.232||0.452|
|Tromp, Jiandido||Oct. 24||MAG||LVBP||0.185||11||27||2||5||1||0||0||2||5||8||1||1||0.313||0.222||0.535|
|Duran, Carlos||Oct. 26||MAR||LVBP||0.250||11||36||8||9||0||0||0||3||3||9||0||2||0.300||0.250||0.550|
|Rivas, Raul||Nov. 8||MAR||LVBP||0.250||12||36||6||9||0||0||0||1||0||6||0||1||0.250||0.250||0.500|
|Brito, Daniel||Nov. 4||ZUL||LVBP||0.273||16||44||3||12||0||1||0||4||4||11||0||1||0.333||0.318||0.652|
|Bettencourt, Trevor||Nov. 14||GDD||AFL||10.13||0||1||8||0||1||1||8.0||10||9||0||3||9||1.63||0.294|
|Brown, Aaron||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||3.00||0||0||3||0||0||0||3.0||5||1||0||2||2||2.33||0.385|
|Cleavinger, Garrett||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||6.35||0||1||11||0||0||0||11.1||14||8||0||4||10||1.59||0.311|
|Garcia, Elniery||Oct. 28||GDD||AFL||5.79||1||2||4||4||0||0||14.0||15||9||1||4||13||1.36||0.268|
|Hammer, J.D.||Nov. 15||GDD||AFL||0.66||0||0||10||0||3||3||13.2||4||1||0||7||11||0.80||0.093|
|Campbell, Derek||Nov. 25||CAI||COL||9.00||0||0||1||0||0||0||1.0||1||1||1||1||0||2.00||0.250|
|Brown, Casey||Dec. 22||TOR||COL||2.01||2||1||6||4||0||0||31.1||31||7||0||9||19||1.12||0.258|
|Paulino, Felix||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||3.80||1||1||5||4||0||0||21.1||24||9||1||3||30||1.27||0.279|
|Casimiro, Ranfi||Nov. 7||AGU||LIDOM||0.00||0||0||1||0||0||0||1.0||1||0||0||0||0||1.00||0.333|
|Kilome, Franklyn||Nov. 22||ESC||LIDOM||7.64||0||4||6||6||0||0||17.2||26||15||3||7||17||1.87||0.347|
|Windle, Tom||Nov. 7||ESC||LIDOM||7.20||1||2||10||0||0||1||5.0||7||4||0||4||3||2.20||0.318|
|Garcia, Edgar||Dec. 1||EST||LIDOM||7.11||1||1||6||0||0||0||6.1||9||5||0||1||8||1.58||0.333|
|Dominguez, Seranthony||Nov. 21||GIG||LIDOM||4.91||1||0||6||0||0||0||7.1||7||4||1||7||8||1.91||0.259|
|Curtis, Zac||Nov. 19||LIC||LIDOM||4.05||4||2||16||0||0||1||13.1||13||6||0||6||17||1.43||0.277|
|Aris, Abdallah||Dec. 1||ARA||LVBP||9.00||0||0||1||0||0||0||1.0||2||1||1||0||0||0.20||0.400|
|Rivero, Alexis||Dec. 3||ara/zul||LVBP||9.58||0||2||11||0||2||3||10.1||15||11||2||3||10||1.74||0.333|
|Llovera, Mauricio||Nov. 17||ORI||LVBP||4.91||1||1||11||0||0||1||14.2||10||8||0||8||9||1.23||0.200|
The Phillies’ spring training schedule has been released. Since last week, another date has been added, a March 19th game against Boston at Fort Myers. The remaining two open dates are now being called Off Days, March 6th and 15th.
- Thursday, February 22 v. University of Tampa at Spectrum Field
- Friday, February 23rd at Toronto in Dunedin
- Saturday, February 24th v. Baltimore at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, February 25th v. New York at Spectrum Field
- Monday, February 26th at New York in Tampa (night)
- Tuesday, February 27th v. Detroit at Spectrum Field
- Wednesday, February 28th at Toronto in Dunedin
- Thursday, March 1st v. New York at Spectrum Field
- Friday, March 2nd at Tampa in Port Charlotte
- Saturday, March 3rd v. Baltimore at Spectrum Field (split squad)
- Saturday, March 3rd at Pittsburgh in Bradenton (split squad)
- Sunday, March 4th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field
- Monday, March 5th v. Minnesota at Spectrum Field
- Tuesday, March 6th TBA or Bye
- Wednesday, March 7th v. Boston at Spectrum Field
- Thursday, March 8th at New York in Tampa
- Friday, March 9th v. Pittsburgh at Spectrum Field
- Saturday, March 10th v. Tampa at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, March 11th at Baltimore in Sarasota(night)
- Monday, March 12th at Atlanta in Orlando (night)
- Tuesday, March 13th v. Tampa at Spectrum Field
- Wednesday, March 14th at Atlanta in Orlando
- Thursday, March 15th TBA or Bye
- Friday March 16th at Detroit in Lakeland (split squad)
- Friday March 16th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field (split squad)
- Saturday, March 17th v. Atlanta at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, March 18th at Minnesota in Fort Myers
- Monday, March 19th at Boston in Fort Myers
- Tuesday, March 20th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field
- Wednesday, March 21st at Toronto in Dunedin
- Thursday, March 22nd v. Detroit at Spectrum Field
- Friday, March 23rd at Pittsburgh in Bradenton
- Saturday, March 24th at Detroit in Lakeland
- Sunday, March 25th v.Baltimore at Spectrum Field
- Monday, March 26th at Pittsburgh in Bradenton
- Tuesday, March 27th v. Pittsburgh at Spectrum Field
- December 10-14 – Winter Meetings at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Orlando, Florida.
- December 14, 9:00 AM EST – Rule 5 draft.
- January 9, 2018 – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- January 12, 2018 – Salary arbitration figures exchanged
- January 29 – February 16, 2018 – Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix, Arizona
- February 13, 2018 – earliest date for pitchers/catchers to report to Spring Training
- February 18, 2018 – earliest date for all other players to report for full squad workouts
- February 22, 2018 – Tentative date for the start of Grapefruit League games
- March 29, 2018 – Opening Day for the 2018 season
- March 29, 2018 – Phillies opening game in Atlanta
- April 5, 2018 – Phillies home opener v. Miami
April 15, 2018 – Jackie Robinson Day
April 17-18, 2018 – Twins v. Indians at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, PR
May 13, 2018 – Mother’s Day events, all host ballparks
- June 4-6, 2018 – 2018 MLB Draft
June 17, 2018 – Father’s Day events, all host ballparks
July 13-17, 2018 – All-Star Week
- July 17, 2018 – 89th All Star Game, at Nationals Park
- August 19, 2018 – Phillies v. Mets in the Little League Classic in Williamsport.
- December 10-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
Off Season Transactions (recently reported transactions in bold): (40-man stands at 40)
- 11/27 – Phillies sent Alberto Tirado outright to Lehigh Valley
- 11/27 – Phillies sent Mark Appel outright to Lehigh Valley
11/20 – Phillies claimed SS Engelb Vielma off waivers from San Francisco Giants
11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Franklyn Kilome from Lehigh Valley
11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Seranthony Dominguez from Clearwater
- 11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Ranger Suarez from Clearwater
- 11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Jose Taveras from Reading
- 11/20 – Phillies designated RHP Mark Appel for assignment
- 11/20 – Phillies designated RHP Alberto Tirado for assignment
- 11/20 – Phillies sent LHP Elniery Garcia outright to Lehigh Valley
- 11/14 – Williamsport Crosscutters released CF Juan Luis
- 11/6 – RHP Jesen Therrien elected free agency
- 11/6 – CF Herlis Rodriguez elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Brock Stassi elected free agency
- 11/6 – C Nick Rickles elected free agency
- 11/6 – LHP Cesar Ramos elected free agency
- 11/6 – SHP Pat Venditte elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Michael Mariot elected free agency
- 11/6 – 3B Hector Gomez elected free agency
- 11/6 – SS Angelo Mora elected free agency
- 11/6 – LF Christian Marrero elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Colton Murray elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Miguel Nunez elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Harold Martinez elected free agency
- 11/6 – C Chace Numata elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Wilson Garcia elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Jesen Therrien elected free agency
- 11/6 – CF Pedro Florimon elected free agency
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Vince Velasquez from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Jerad Eickhoff from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Zach Eflin from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies sent RHP Jesen Therrien outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 11/6 – Phillies sent CF Pedro Florimon outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 11/2 – RF Hyun Soo Kim elected free agency
- 11/2 – LF Daniel Nava elected free agency
- 11/2 – 3B Andres Blanco elected free agency
- 11/2 – RHP Clay Buchholz elected free agency
- 11/2 – Phillies activated RHP Jesen Therrien from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/2 – Phillies activated CF Pedro Florimon from the 60-day disabled list
- 10/30-11/6 – Logan Moore re-signed with the Phillies
- 9/30-10/13 – Ranfi Casimiro re-signed with the Phillies
- 10/13 – Pedro Beato elected free agency
- 10/5 – Kevin Segrist elected free agency
- 10/5 – Ty Kelly elected free agency
- 10/4 – Philadelphia Phillies sent LHP Kevin Siegrist outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 10/4 – Philadelphia Phillies sent 2B Ty Kelly outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 9/16-29 – Mitch Walding re-signed with the Phillies
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list retains the injuries at the end of the 2017 season. All are expected to be okay by the start of spring training.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.