The hot stove season continues. There was a flurry of transactions as the Phillies set their 40-man roster before the November 20th deadline.
The Phillies added an assistant hitting coach to the major league staff.
Former Phillies RHP Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez was killed in a car accident in his native Cuba.
The commissioner levied penalties against the Atlanta Braves for international signing violations.
Organizational News and Changes
The Phillies added four pitching prospects to their 40-man roster – RHP Seranthony Dominguez, Franklyn Kilome, Jose Taveras, and LHP Ranger Suarez. They also claimed infielder Engelb Vielma off waivers. To make room, they designated RHP Mark Appel and Alberto Tirado for assignment and outrighted LHP Elniery Garcia. The 40-man roster stands at 40 players.
The Phillies announced that Pedro Guerrero will be the assistant hitting coach. Guerrero joins Dusty Wathan (third base coach), John Mallee (hitting coach), and Jim Gott (bullpen coach) as new members of the coaching staff. Assistant pitching coach Rick Kranitz has been retained in an as yet unspecified role.
The Phillies confirmed the death of Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez in this report.
The Braves were stripped of their rights to 12 prospects, will be capped at $10K per player for the 2019-20 signing period, will not be allowed to sign Robert Puason whom they had made an improper deal, will have Ji-Hwan Bae’s contract disapproved due to extra compensation, and will be limited to only half of its international spending cap for the 2020-21 period. Additionally, Atlanta will lose their third round pick in the 2018 draft for offering extra benefits to a 2017 draft pick. Former GM John Coppolella was handed a lifetime ban and former special assistant Gordon Blakeley was suspended for one year. Kevin Maitan is the most notable among the 12 prospects they lost (full story).
This week the Phillies are reported to have interest in LHP Jake McGee, (story).
And, this week’s Stanton news from MLB Trade rumors’ Kyle Downing.
Winter ball stats are available here.
The Liga de Béisbol Profesional Roberto Clemente will play a shortened, 21-game schedule with 4 teams beginning on January 6, 2018.
About half of the 37 players are still playing in the other winter leagues as you can see by the Last Date column below.
|Cabral, Edgar||Nov. 15||GDD||AFL||0.298||14||47||2||14||2||0||0||4||3||13||0||0||0.353||0.340||0.693|
|Green, Zach||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0.258||18||62||10||16||4||0||2||6||4||20||0||0||0.324||0.419||0.743|
|Randolph, Cornelius||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0.239||19||71||10||17||4||1||0||8||7||20||2||1||0.308||0.324||0.632|
|Campbell, Derek||Nov. 25||CAI||COL||0.278||17||72||4||20||2||1||0||6||4||17||0||2||0.316||0.333||0.649|
|Martin, Kyle||Nov. 25||CAI||COL||0.297||17||64||8||19||3||0||1||5||8||10||0||1||0.392||0.391||0.783|
|Alfaro, Jorge||Nov. 24||TOR||COL||0.375||9||32||4||12||1||0||1||7||3||8||0||0||0.444||0.500||0.944|
|Cumana, Grenny||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||0.266||17||64||6||17||2||0||0||8||3||6||0||0||0.310||0.297||0.607|
|Gamboa, Arquimedes||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||0.214||17||56||2||12||3||0||0||6||7||15||1||1||0.302||0.268||0.570|
|Williams, Luke||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||0.268||17||71||9||19||2||0||0||3||10||19||2||1||0.366||0.296||0.662|
|Alvarez, Eliezer||Nov. 25||ESC||DWL||0.158||10||19||4||3||0||0||0||0||1||7||1||0||0.238||0.158||0.396|
|Moore, Logan||Nov. 24||EST||DWL||0.154||11||26||6||4||1||0||0||2||4||11||0||0||0.267||0.192||0.459|
|Perkins, Cameron||Nov. 1||GIG||DWL||0.258||9||31||9||8||3||0||0||3||5||3||1||0||0.351||0.355||0.706|
|Quinn, Roman||Oct. 22||TOR||DWL||0.125||6||16||2||2||1||0||0||0||2||5||0||0||0.222||0.188||0.410|
|Walding, Mitch||Nov. 12||MOC||LMP||0.228||23||79||9||18||4||0||3||10||16||23||0||2||0.365||0.392||0.757|
|Blanco, Andres||Nov. 25||MAG||LVBP||0.341||32||123||25||42||7||1||3||10||18||28||2||3||0.456||0.488||0.944|
|Alastre, Jesus||Nov. 5||ARA||VWL||0.176||13||17||3||3||0||0||0||0||1||4||0||0||0.222||0.176||0.399|
|Vielma, Engelb||Nov. 24||ARA||VWL||0.179||12||28||3||5||0||1||0||0||3||5||0||0||0.281||0.250||0.531|
|Gomez, Jose||Nov. 25||LAG||VWL||0.158||16||38||3||6||0||0||1||4||2||5||2||0||0.220||0.237||0.456|
|Tromp, Jiandido||Oct. 24||MAG||VWL||0.185||11||27||2||5||1||0||0||2||5||8||1||1||0.313||0.222||0.535|
|Duran, Carlos||Oct. 26||MAR||VWL||0.250||11||36||8||9||0||0||0||3||3||9||0||2||0.300||0.250||0.550|
|Rivas, Raul||Nov. 8||MAR||VWL||0.250||12||36||6||9||0||0||0||1||0||6||0||1||0.250||0.250||0.500|
|Brito, Daniel||Nov. 4||ZUL||VWL||0.273||16||44||3||12||0||1||0||4||4||11||0||1||0.333||0.318||0.652|
|Bettencourt, Trevor||Nov. 14||GDD||AFL||0||1||10.13||8||0||0||1||1||8||10||9||9||0||3||9||1.63||0.294|
|Brown, Aaron||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0||0||3.00||3||0||0||0||0||3||5||1||1||0||2||2||2.33||0.385|
|Cleavinger, Garrett||Nov. 16||GDD||AFL||0||1||6.35||11||0||0||0||0||11.1||14||10||8||0||4||10||1.59||0.311|
|Garcia, Elniery||Oct. 28||GDD||AFL||1||2||5.79||4||4||0||0||0||14||15||9||9||1||4||13||1.36||0.268|
|Hammer, J.D.||Nov. 15||GDD||AFL||0||0||0.66||10||0||0||3||3||13.2||4||1||1||0||7||11||0.80||0.093|
|Campbell, Derek||Nov. 25||CAI||COL||0||0||9.00||1||0||0||0||0||1||1||1||1||1||1||0||2.00||0.250|
|Brown, Casey||Nov. 21||TOR||COL||1||0||2.01||4||4||0||0||0||22.1||20||7||5||0||5||14||1.12||0.233|
|Paulino, Felix||Nov. 25||TOR||COL||1||1||3.80||5||4||0||0||0||21.1||24||10||9||1||3||30||1.27||0.279|
|Casimiro, Ranfi||Nov. 7||AGU||LIDOM||0||0||0.00||1||0||0||0||0||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||1.00||0.333|
|Kilome, Franklyn||Nov. 22||ESC||LIDOM||0||4||7.64||6||6||0||0||0||17.2||26||15||15||3||7||17||1.87||0.347|
|Windle, Tom||Nov. 7||ESC||LIDOM||1||2||7.20||10||0||0||0||1||5||7||4||4||0||4||3||2.20||0.318|
|Garcia, Edgar||Nov. 25||EST||LIDOM||0||0||0.00||3||0||0||0||0||4||1||0||0||0||1||3||0.50||0.083|
|Dominguez, Seranthony||Nov. 21||GIG||LIDOM||1||0||4.91||6||0||0||0||0||7.1||7||5||4||1||7||8||1.91||0.259|
|Curtis, Zac||Nov. 19||LIC||LIDOM||4||2||4.05||16||0||0||0||1||13.1||13||7||6||0||6||17||1.43||0.277|
|Rivero, Alexis||Nov. 24||ara/zul||LVBP||0||1||8.59||8||0||0||0||0||7.1||9||7||7||1||2||7||1.50||0.300|
|Llovera, Mauricio||Nov. 17||ORI||LVBP||1||1||4.91||11||0||0||0||1||14.2||10||8||8||0||8||9||1.23||0.200|
The Phillies’ spring training schedule has been released. Since last week, another date has been added, a March 19th game against Boston at Fort Myers. The remaining two open dates are now being called Off Days, March 6th and 15th.
- Thursday, February 22 v. University of Tampa at Spectrum Field
- Friday, February 23rd at Toronto in Dunedin
- Saturday, February 24th v. Baltimore at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, February 25th v. New York at Spectrum Field
- Monday, February 26th at New York in Tampa (night)
- Tuesday, February 27th v. Detroit at Spectrum Field
- Wednesday, February 28th at Toronto in Dunedin
- Thursday, March 1st v. New York at Spectrum Field
- Friday, March 2nd at Tampa in Port Charlotte
- Saturday, March 3rd v. Baltimore at Spectrum Field (split squad)
- Saturday, March 3rd at Pittsburgh in Bradenton (split squad)
- Sunday, March 4th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field
- Monday, March 5th v. Minnesota at Spectrum Field
- Tuesday, March 6th TBA or Bye
- Wednesday, March 7th v. Boston at Spectrum Field
- Thursday, March 8th at New York in Tampa
- Friday, March 9th v. Pittsburgh at Spectrum Field
- Saturday, March 10th v. Tampa at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, March 11th at Baltimore in Sarasota(night)
- Monday, March 12th at Atlanta in Orlando (night)
- Tuesday, March 13th v. Tampa at Spectrum Field
- Wednesday, March 14th at Atlanta in Orlando
- Thursday, March 15th TBA or Bye
- Friday March 16th at Detroit in Lakeland (split squad)
- Friday March 16th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field (split squad)
- Saturday, March 17th v. Atlanta at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, March 18th at Minnesota in Fort Myers
- Monday, March 19th at Boston in Fort Myers
- Tuesday, March 20th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field
- Wednesday, March 21st at Toronto in Dunedin
- Thursday, March 22nd v. Detroit at Spectrum Field
- Friday, March 23rd at Pittsburgh in Bradenton
- Saturday, March 24th at Detroit in Lakeland
- Sunday, March 25th v.Baltimore at Spectrum Field
- Monday, March 26th at Pittsburgh in Bradenton
- Tuesday, March 27th v. Pittsburgh at Spectrum Field
- December 1, 8:00 PM EST – Deadline for teams to tender contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, including arbitration-eligible players. Non-tendered players become free agents. Tendered players who are arbitration eligible who do not accept the tender proceed to the arbitration process in February.
- December 10-14 – Winter Meetings at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Orlando, Florida.
- December 14, 9:00 AM EST – Rule 5 draft.
- January 9, 2018 – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- January 12, 2018 – Salary arbitration figures exchanged
- January 29 – February 16, 2018 – Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix, Arizona
- February 13, 2018 – earliest date for pitchers/catchers to report to Spring Training
- February 18, 2018 – earliest date for all other players to report for full squad workouts
- February 22, 2018 – Tentative date for the start of Grapefruit League games
- March 29, 2018 – Opening Day for the 2018 season
- March 29, 2018 – Phillies opening game in Atlanta
- April 5, 2018 – Phillies home opener v. Miami
April 15, 2018 – Jackie Robinson Day
April 17-18, 2018 – Twins v. Indians at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, PR
May 13, 2018 – Mother’s Day events, all host ballparks
- June 4-6, 2018 – 2018 MLB Draft
June 17, 2018 – Father’s Day events, all host ballparks
July 13-17, 2018 – All-Star Week
- July 17, 2018 – 89th All Star Game, at Nationals Park
- August 19, 2018 – Phillies v. Mets in the Little League Classic in Williamsport.
- December 10-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
Off Season Transactions (recently reported transactions in bold): (40-man stands at 40)
11/20 – Phillies claimed SS Engelb Vielma off waivers from San Francisco Giants
11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Franklyn Kilome from Lehigh Valley
11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Seranthony Dominguez from Clearwater
- 11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Ranger Suarez from Clearwater
- 11/20 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Jose Taveras from Reading
- 11/20 – Phillies designated RHP Mark Appel for assignment
- 11/20 – Phillies designated RHP Alberto Tirado for assignment
- 11/20 – Phillies sent LHP Elniery Garcia outright to Lehigh Valley
- 11/14 – Williamsport Crosscutters released CF Juan Luis
- 11/6 – RHP Jesen Therrien elected free agency
- 11/6 – CF Herlis Rodriguez elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Brock Stassi elected free agency
- 11/6 – C Nick Rickles elected free agency
- 11/6 – LHP Cesar Ramos elected free agency
- 11/6 – SHP Pat Venditte elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Michael Mariot elected free agency
- 11/6 – 3B Hector Gomez elected free agency
- 11/6 – SS Angelo Mora elected free agency
- 11/6 – LF Christian Marrero elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Colton Murray elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Miguel Nunez elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Harold Martinez elected free agency
- 11/6 – C Chace Numata elected free agency
- 11/6 – 1B Wilson Garcia elected free agency
- 11/6 – RHP Jesen Therrien elected free agency
- 11/6 – CF Pedro Florimon elected free agency
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Vince Velasquez from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Jerad Eickhoff from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies activated RHP Zach Eflin from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/6 – Phillies sent RHP Jesen Therrien outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 11/6 – Phillies sent CF Pedro Florimon outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 11/2 – RF Hyun Soo Kim elected free agency
- 11/2 – LF Daniel Nava elected free agency
- 11/2 – 3B Andres Blanco elected free agency
- 11/2 – RHP Clay Buchholz elected free agency
- 11/2 – Phillies activated RHP Jesen Therrien from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/2 – Phillies activated CF Pedro Florimon from the 60-day disabled list
- 10/30-11/6 – Logan Moore re-signed with the Phillies
- 9/30-10/13 – Ranfi Casimiro re-signed with the Phillies
- 10/13 – Pedro Beato elected free agency
- 10/5 – Kevin Segrist elected free agency
- 10/5 – Ty Kelly elected free agency
- 10/4 – Philadelphia Phillies sent LHP Kevin Siegrist outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 10/4 – Philadelphia Phillies sent 2B Ty Kelly outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 9/16-29 – Mitch Walding re-signed with the Phillies
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list retains the injuries at the end of the 2017 season. All are expected to be okay by the start of spring training except Jesen Therrien. He is expected to miss the entire 2018 season.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.