The Phillies were on their way to another horrendous week, losing 3 of 4 to Marlins. But, as so often happens in the baseball world, we learned why you must play the games. The Phillies won 2 of 3 games and salvaged the week with a 3-4 record. And, although the Cubs outscored the Phillies 21-15 on the strength of a 17-2 rout in the middle game of the set, the Phillies easily handled the Cubs in 7-1 and 6-3 victories. They have a 48-81 record and a .372 PCT.
The Phillies host the Braves for three games then are off on an 11-game road trip that starts with 4 games in Miami. They continue with series in New York and Washington. The Phillies play 26 of the next 33 games against East Division opponents. The exceptions are a 3-game series against the A’s and a 4-game series against the Dodgers, both at CBP. They finish the season with 16 of 19 games at CBP.
The Phillies are 30.0 games out of first place in the East Division, with an elimination number of four. They are 8.5 games behind the fourth place Mets. They are 22.50 games behind the Rockies in the Wild Card race, with an elimination number of eleven.
Now, the race we might have a chance to win –
|Bottom 10 Teams||W||L||PCT||GB||L10||STRK||PCT 8/20||Net Gain/Loss|
|Chi White Sox||52||77||0.403||4.0||6-4||W1||0.388||-1.5|
In spite of the 2 wins over the Cubs, the Phillies remain 2.5 games ahead of their closest competitors. They retain their notoriety as the worst team in baseball for another week.
Rhys the Beast
- .297/.408/.828/1.236 in his first 18 games, 76 plate appearances, 64 AB
- 19 H, 12 XBH, 1 double, 11 HR, 24 RBI (4 more than Nava who has over 100 more AB)
- 11 BB, 14.5 BB%, 13 K, 17.1 K%, 1 HBP
- Tied with Freddy for 6th on the team with 11 HR
- Quickest to 11 HR to start career in MLB history, 18 games. (According to Elias Sports Bureau, he reached the 11 HR in 17 fewer at-bats than any player in history.)
- Fastest player to reach 10 home runs in major league history, 17 games
- Tied Carlos Delgado (1993-94) and Trevor Story (2016) for the most homers through a player’s first 15 games (8)
- Is one of just three players to hit eight homers within his first 50 career at-bats. (According to Elias Sports Bureau, Hoskins hit his eighth in his 49th at-bat. He joins Trey Mancini (eight homers in 47 at-bats), and Carlos Delgado (eight homers in 48 at-bats)
- Tied Ryan Howard for most HR in a month by a Phillies rookie, 10 in September 2005
- And, he started a triple play.
Another New Prospect
I have spotted another new pitcher at the Complex. His name is Carlos De La Cruz. He was signed recently and showed up in Clearwater last week. I thought he might be the De La Cruz from the DSL White team (Jonas). But he is a recent signee. He may have been from NY, but he is clearly LA, he doesn’t speak English. He’s a teenager. Seventeen, I think. There has been no announcement from the team. I am still trying to find out more. For now, picture a Franklyn Kilome clone. De La Cruz is tall (6’6 , 6’7 ish) with a thin frame, like Kilome when he came stateside.
Key dates remaining:
- August 31st, 11:59 PM EST – Waiver Trade Deadline
- December 10-14th – Winter Meetings in Orlando
- December 14th – Rule 5 Draft
Last Week’s Transactions:
- 8/25 – Phillies activated LF Daniel Nava
- 8/25 – Phillies optioned RHP Jake Thompson to Lehigh Valley
- 8/25 – RHP Tommy Bergjans assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
- 8/25 – RHP Henderson Alvarez assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/25 – Reading placed LHP Austin Davis on the 7-Day DL retroactive to August 24, 2017. Left elbow strain
- 8/24 – Phillies optioned RHP Ricardo Pinto to Lehigh Valley
- 8/24 – Phillies recalled RHP Jake Thompson from Lehigh Valley
- 8/24 – Reading activated 3B Mitch Walding from the 7-Day DL
- 8/24 – RHP Mauricio Llovera assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/23 – Phillies optioned RHP Nick Pivetta to Lehigh Valley
- 8/23 – Phillies optioned CF Cameron Perkins to Lehigh Valley
- 8/23 – Phillies recalled RHP Drew Anderson from Lehigh Valley
- 8/23 – Reading sent RHP Alberto Tirado on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 8/22 – Phillies signed free agent RHP Henderson Alvarez to a minor league contract
- 8/22 – Phillies placed RHP Zach Eflin on the 10-Day DL. Right shoulder strain
- 8/22 – Phillies placed RHP Vince Velasquez on the 60-Day DL. Right middle finger
- 8/22 – Phillies recalled Nick Pivetta from Lehigh Valley
- 8/22 – Phillies recalled Yacksel Rios from Lehigh Valley
- 8/22 – Reading sent 3B Mitch Walding on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 8/22 – Lehigh Valley activated SS Matt Williams from the temp. inactive list
- 8/22 – RHP Drew Anderson assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.