Here is the box score recap.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB..
Lehigh Valley fell short and lost to Syracuse, 5-4. Dylan Cozens (.215) showed signs of life with 2 hits, a double, and 2 RBI.
Reading lost to Bowie, 7-3. Jake Waguespack (1-2, 5.09) gave up 4 runs on 7 hits in six innings. He struck out six. Ranfi Casimiro (3.83) gave up a run on 3 hits in one inning of work. Garrett Cleavinger (6.43) gave up the final 2 runs on a HR in his one inning. Jiandido Tromp (.291) had 3 hits and 2 RBI.
Clearwater lost and fell further out of the North Division playoff race. A 98 minute rain delay in the bottom of the first inning, knocked starter JoJo Romero out of the game. When the game resumed, Aaron Brown (0-1, 2.25) was on the mound. He lasted 2.2 innings and gave up his first 3 runs as a Threshers’ pitcher. Blake Quinn (4.56) added 3 runs in 3.1 innings and that was enough to beat Clearwater. J.D. Hammer (0.71) struck out 3 in two innings.
The Threshers kept it close with a run in the third on a force out, a run in the fourth on an RBI single by Emmanuel Marrero, and 2 runs in the fifth on two-out RBI singles by Edgar Cabral and Austin Bossart. The Threshers were hampered by their inability to come up with the key hit as they went 3-12 with RISP.
Lakewood broke out with 14 runs on 18 hits in a blow out win over Hagerstown. Adam Haseley (.273) had 4 hits, scored 3 runs, and doubled. Darick Hall (.274) also had 4 hits and 3 runs scored to go along with 2 HR (26) and 7 RBI (93), both are single season records for the BlueClaws. Seven RBI ties the Claws single-game record.
Williamsport swept a double header from Auburn with a couple shutouts, 2-0 and 3-0.
Game One: Andrew Brown (3-4, 3.40) threw six, 4-hit innings with 5 K. Luis Ramiez (2.16) earned his 9th save. The Crosscutters scored their two runs in the sixth inning. Josh Stephen singled and Jhailyn Ortiz hit a ground rule double to set the table for Greg Pickett’s RBI single and Yahir Gurrola’s SF.
Game Two: Spencer Howard (1-1, 4.94) threw five, 1-hit innings with 6 K. Randy Alcantara (2.31) earned his 4th save. The Crosscutters scored their 3 runs in the fourth inning. Cole Stobbe hit a solo HR (8) and Malvin Matos hit a 2-run HR (3) after Nerluis Martinez walked.
The GCL Phillies lost to the GCL Pirates, but the GCL Blue Jays also lost. So the Phillies still have a one-game lead in the division. The Phillies pitchers had a difficult afternoon. Ethan Lindow (2-2, 2.88) gave up an unearned run in the first inning, but was touched for 4 earned runs in the next two innings. Ben Brown (3.60) gave up 3 runs in one inning of work. Alberto Tirado made a rehab appearance on a 20-pitch count. He struck out one, walked two, and got a double play ball on his 18th pitch. He threw more balls than strikes. Sati Santa Cruz (5.63) gave up a towering solo HR over the right center field fence. And Denny Martinez walked 3 and struck out 3 in two innings. Phillies pitchers issued ten BB.
The Phillies trailed 8-0 before scoring a run in the fourth inning on a Quincy Nieporte RBI single following a Mitch Walding double. They scored their second run on a fifth inning balk. They added another run in the sixth on a Kipp Moore RBI single. They got close with a three-spot in the seventh. Jack Holmes opened the inning with a double and Walding, Edwin Rodriguez, and Kevin Markham followed with RBI doubles. A Walding lead off triple and run scoring ground out closed out the scoring in the ninth.
- 8/23 – Phillies optioned RHP Nick Pivetta to Lehigh Valley
- 8/23 – Phillies optioned CF Cameron Perkins to Lehigh Valley
- 8/23 – Phillies recalled RHP Drew Anderson from Lehigh Valley
- 8/23 – Reading sent RHP Alberto Tirado on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 8/22 – Phillies placed RHP Zach Eflin on the 10-Day DL. Right shoulder strain
- 8/22 – Phillies placed RHP Vince Velasquez on the 60-Day DL. Right middle finger
- 8/22 – Phillies recalled Nick Pivetta from Lehigh Valley
- 8/22 – Phillies recalled Yacksel Rios from Lehigh Valley
- 8/22 – Reading sent 3B Mitch Walding on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 8/22 – Lehigh Valley activated SS Matt Williams from the temp. inactive list
- 8/22 – RHP Drew Anderson assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the information I was able to find.