The Phillies were on their way to a truly horrendous week when they halted their 6-game losing streak with back-to-back wins before leaving San Francisco. They ended their 3-week trip around the country with a 5-13 record. They finished the week with a 2-5 record. They have a 45-77 record and a .369 PCT.
The Phillies are off on Monday then start a 10-game home stand with a double header against Miami as part of a 4-game series and then a 3-game, weekend series against the Chicago Cubs. After that the Phillies play 26 of their next 33 games against their East Division opponents. The exceptions are a 3-game series against the A’s and a 4-game series against the Dodgers, both at CBP.
The Phillies are 29.0 games out of first place in the East Division, with an elimination number of twelve. They are 9.0 games behind the fourth place Mets. They are 21.0 games behind the Diamondbacks in the Wild Card race, with an elimination number of nineteen.
With their victory over the Giants on Sunday, the Phillies eliminated the Giants from the West Division title. They are the first such elimination of the 2017 season. Go Phillies!
Now, the race we might have a chance to win –
|Bottom 10 Teams||W||L||PCT||GB||L10||STRK||PCT 7/31||Net Gain/Loss|
|Chi White Sox||47||74||0.388||2.5||4-6||W1||0.391||-0.5|
In spite of the 2 wins in Frisco, the Phillies extended their lead over the 5 closest teams in the race to be the “Least of the Beasts”, and no team gained ground on them.
The New Guys
I don’t know how you guys feel about this, but I am extremely pleased with the play of Nick Williams, Jorge Alfaro, and Rhys Hoskins. I think they have done well, especially when you consider that they just experienced a road trip the likes of which they never experienced in the minors. While I would like to see Alfaro play more, he just played 3 days in a row. I hope this trend continues. And I would prefer to see Hoskins at first base, but at least he’s getting some major league at bats and is holding his own. Matt Winkelman has been documenting Hoskins’ effectiveness since his call up. It substantiates V1again’s article about Hoskins last week. Then there’s Williams. I don’t think anyone could have expected him to adjust as well as he has. Maybe there is something to be said for keeping guys in Lehigh Valley longer than we think they should. Naaaah.
Key dates remaining:
- August 31st, 11:59 PM EST – Waiver Trade Deadline
- December 10-14th – Winter Meetings in Orlando
- December 14th – Rule 5 Draft
Last Week’s Transactions:
- 8/20 – Phillies recalled Ben Lively from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/19 – Phillies signed free agent OF Christian Marrero to a minor league contract
- 8/19 – RHP Tommy Bergjans assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 8/19 – OF Christian Marrero assigned to Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/19 – RHP Adonis Medina assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/19 – RHP Mauricio Llovera assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
- 8/18 – Phillies placed CF Odubel Herrera on the 10-Day DL. Strained left hamstring
- 8/18 – Phillies sent RHP Pedro Beato outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/18 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated SS Hector Gomez from the 7-day disabled list
- 8/18 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed SS Matt Williams on the temporarily inactive list
- 8/17 – Phillies activated RHP Pedro Beato from the 10-day disabled list
- 8/17 – Phillies designated RHP Pedro Beato for assignment
- 8/17 – Phillies recalled SS Pedro Florimon from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/17 – CF Carlos Tocci assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 8/17 – SS Zach Green assigned to Reading from Clearwater
- 8/17 – Clearwater activated 3B Jose Antequera from the 7-Day DL
- 8/17 – Clearwater activated RHP Edgar Garcia from the 7-Day DL
- 8/17 – LHP McKenzie Mills assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
- 8/16 – Phillies optioned RHP Nick Pivetta to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/16 – Dalton Guthrie assigned to GCL Phillies from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 8/16 – OF Yahir Gurrola assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies
- 8/15 – Phillies placed LF Daniel Nava on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to August 12, 2017. Lower back strain.
- 8/15/- Phillies recalled CF Cameron Perkins from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/15 – SS Angelo Mora assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/15 – RHP Adonis Medina assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 8/14 – OF Adam Haseley assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/13 – Phillies sent RHP Casey Fien on a rehab assignment to Clearwater Threshers
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.