Under an overcast sky and with one 10 minute lightning delay, the Phillies dropped a 6-1 decision to the GCL Yankees East.
The Phillies took a one run lead in the top of the second inning. Kevin Markham singled sharply up the middle and stole second base. With two outs, Jack Zoellner lined an RBI single to center. Jesus Henriquez lined a double down the left field line that pushed Zoellner to third base. But the Phillies couldn’t add on.
Sandro Rosario gave up a 3-run HR in the bottom of the inning. The player who hit it was the Yankees 5’2″ third baseman. When I saw him take the field, my first thought was of Wee Man. But the husky, 155 pounder shut my mind up when he lifted a drive to left that landed on the Yankees Complex. I could go all sour grapes and point out that there was a strong wind blowing during the early innings, but nobody else came close to duplicating his feat. So props to Jose Carrera.
Rosario pitched five innings. The HR seemed to affect him a little as he walked a couple batters, but a visit from the coach helped him induce an inning ending double play.
Roasrio throws a FB, SL, CH, and sinker. His FB sat 92-93 MPH.
The Phillies had scoring chances. They loaded the bases in the sixth and ninth innings (with nobody out in the ninth) and were unable to score.
Ben Pelletier and Jack Zoellner had 2 hits each.
Dalton Guthrie played 4 innings on the field before being replaced..
Markham had an outfield assist (home).
Marchan threw out 3 of 4 base stealers. (Actually, 1 of the 3 caught stealings was safe. Our fielder was charged with a missed catch error and Marchan still received an assist.)
The Phillies’ division lead was cut by a half game. The Blue Jays were suspended after the Tigers East tied the game in the fifth inning. They’ll complete the game as part of a double header on the road Saturday. The Phillies host the Yankees East at the Complex Saturday at 10:00 AM.
- Muzziotti (.286): DNP
- Guzman (.262): DNP
- Pelletier (.327): went 2-5 with a K
- Gonzalez (.283): DNP
- Marchan (.242): went 0-4 with a K
- Bocio (.282): went 0-4 with a BB, 2 K
- Guthrie (.250): went 0-3 with a K
- (#9) Zoellner (.333): Dwent 2-2 with an RBI, 2 BB
- (#11) Holmes (.259): went 1-5
- (#24) Markham (.192): went 1-4 with a run scored
- (#26) Nieporte (.325): DNP
- (#31) Mayer (.253): DNP
- (#39) Stewart (.219): DNP
- Jimenez (2-1, 4.73):
- Rosario (1-3, 4.38): 5.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, HR
- Silva (5-0, 2.93):
- Morales (1-2, 3.41):
- Sobil (3-1, 3.67):
- (#5) Lindow (2-1, 1.64):
- (#8) Mezquita (1-0, 1.01):
- Kuznetsov (2-0, 0.42):
- Carvajal (2-2, 1.83):
- Miller (1-2, 5.51):
- (#21) Hernandez (1-0, 0.00):
- (#29) Cummings (0-0, 10.13):
- (#32) Santa Cruz (1-1, 6.00):
- (#33) B. Brown (0-0, 1.50):
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- 8/18 – Phillies placed CF Odubel Herrera on the 10-Day DL. Strained left hamstring
- 8/18 – Phillies sent RHP Pedro Beato outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/18 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated SS Hector Gomez from the 7-day disabled list
- 8/18 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed SS Matt Williams on the temporarily inactive list
- 8/17 – Phillies activated RHP Pedro Beato from the 10-day disabled list
- 8/17 – Phillies designated RHP Pedro Beato for assignment
- 8/17 – Phillies recalled SS Pedro Florimon from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/17 – CF Carlos Tocci assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 8/17 – SS Zach Green assigned to Reading from Clearwater
- 8/17 – Clearwater activated 3B Jose Antequera from the 7-Day DL
- 8/17 – Clearwater activated RHP Edgar Garcia from the 7-Day DL
- 8/17 – LHP McKenzie Mills assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
- 8/16 – Phillies optioned RHP Nick Pivetta to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/16 – Dalton Guthrie assigned to GCL Phillies from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 8/16 – OF Yahir Gurrola assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies
- 8/15 – Phillies placed LF Daniel Nava on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to August 12, 2017. Lower back strain.
- 8/15/- Phillies recalled CF Cameron Perkins from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/15 – SS Angelo Mora assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/15 – RHP Adonis Medina assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 8/14 – OF Adam Haseley assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/13 – Phillies sent RHP Casey Fien on a rehab assignment to Clearwater Threshers
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the information I was able to find.