Lehigh Valley was outscored early.
Reading was undone by their defense.
Clearwater swept a double header by identical 8-1 scores.
Lakewood was suspended by fog, but only after the umpires allowed the fog to be a factor on the last play.
Lehigh Valley (31-15) lost to Indianapolis, 8-4.
Jake Thompson (2-4, 5.68) had a terrible five innings. He gave up 8 runs (6 ER) on 13 hits (12 singles and a double) and 2 walks. Casey Fien and Hoby Milner split four scoreless innings.
The IronPigs scored three runs with two out in the sixth inning on Nick Williams’ RBI single and Jorge Alfaro’s two-run single. Hector Gomez capped the scoring with a lead off, solo HR (2) in the eighth inning.
Howie Kendrick continued his rehab going 0-1 with a strike out but reached base twice on HBPs and scored a run. He also played third and committed a throwing error. He was replaced at the beginning of the seventh by Hector Gomez.
- #1 Crawford (.175): 0-4 with a K
- #3 Alfaro (.280): 1-4 with 2 RBI (22). 2 K
- #4 Williams (.263): 1-4 with a run scored, RBI (20), 2 K
- #6 Quinn (.268): 0-4 with a BB, 2 K
- #9 Cozens (.215): 1-4
- #12 Pivetta (4-0, 1.04): DNP
- #13 Hoskins (.333): 1-2 with a run scored, double, 2 BB, K
- #17 Pinto (3-3, 5.66): DNP
- #20 Appel (2-2, 7.59): DNP
- #25 Lively (5-1, 2.79): DNP
- #30 Valentin (.229): 7-day DL
Reading (23-19) completed its 4-game sweep by Trenton, losing 7-2. The Phils scored 6 runs in the series and were shut out once.
The Phils actually scored first on Jiandido Tromp’s 2-out, 2-run double in the first inning. They managed just 5 singles after that.
Drew Anderson was the beneficiary of the early lead. Unfortunately, he was also the victim of two errors in the bottom of the first and gave up 4 runs, 3 of them unearned. He was also responsible for another run in the fifth inning. Yacksel Rios (2.30) was charged with allowing an inherited runner to score, but he got a one-out ground ball. The Phils just didn’t get the inning-ending double play. Alexis Rivero (3.51) gave up 2 runs in his two innings.
- #11 Kingery (.291): 2-2 with a run scored, double, and 2 BB, 2 K
- #18: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #22 Anderson (3-2, 5.14): 4.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
- #23: Arano: 7-Day DL
- #24 Tocci (.302): 1-4 with a K
- #28 Canelo (.281): 0-3
- Pullin (.337): 1-3 with a run scored, BB
- Tromp (.254): 1-4 with a double, 2 RBI
Clearwater (27-21) swept Florida, 8-1 and 8-1.
Game One: Alberto Tirado (3-3, 4.38) held the Frogs to one run on 8 hits and 2 walks in 5.2 innings. He struck out five. Luke Leftwich allowed 3 base runners in the final 1.1 innings but struck out three and picked up his 5th save.
Former major league pitcher Kris Medlin started for the Braves affiliate. The Threshers broke the scoreless tie with a run in the fifth and broke the game open with 4 in the sixth. Those 5 runs came off Medlin.
Grenny Cumana got the Threshers on the board with a squeeze bunt in the fifth. In the sixth, Damek Tomscha led off with a HR (6). Jan Hernandez contributed a 2-run double. Drew Stankiewicz completed the inning’s scoring with an RBI single. Cornelius Randolph put the game out of reach with a 3-run HR (5) in the seventh.
Randolph was moved down to fifth in the line up. In addition to his HR, he tripled with one out in the second and was stranded. He also drew a walk.
- # 5 Kilome (2-2, 3.63): DNP
- #10 Randolph (.207): 2-3 with 2 runs scored, a double, HR (5), 3 RBI (24), BB
- #27 Ed. Garcia (1-0, 3.92): DNP
- #29 Pujols (.189): DNP
Game Two: Jake Waguespack (2-2, 3.08) got the spot start and pitched five innings. He allowed a run on 3 hits and walked none. He struck out five. Jeff Singer (1.90) pitched two innings of shutout ball for his 10th save.
The Threshers scored half of their eight runs off starter Touki Toussaint. They nailed the former first round pick for a couple home runs.
Mark Laird had 3 hits and a couple stolen bases (5). Jose Pujols had 2 doubles and 2 RBI. Herlis Rodriguez had a home run (6) and 3 RBI. Austin Bossart added a solo HR (2).
The Threshers opened the scoring with Bossart’s HR in the third. After the Frogs tied the score in the fourth, the Threshers scored 3 in the fifth on Rodriguez’ 3-run HR. They got some breathing room with 4 in the seventh on a wild pitch, Pujols 2-run double, and Drew Stankiewicz’ RBI single.
- # 5 Kilome (2-2, 3.63): DNP
- #10 Randolph (.201): 0-4 with a K
- #27 Ed. Garcia (1-0, 3.92): DNP
- #29 Pujols (.197): 2-4 with a run scored, 2 doubles, 2 RBI (12), 2 K
Lakewood (27-19) suspended due to fog with Lakewood trailing Delmarva 3-2 in the top of the sixth. A fog-aided double brought home two runs in the sixth. Then the game was stopped. On the final play, a soft fly ball into shallow center field dropped harmlessly among five Lakewood fielders per Will DeBoer/Delmarva Shorebirds.
Arquimedes Gamboa returned from the DL and started at short and batted second.
- #2 Moniak (.285):
- #7 Sanchez (1-2, 3.70): DNP
- #16 Medina (1-2, 2.03):
- #19 Brito (.249):
- #26 Romero (2-1, 2.20): DNP
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #15 Stobbe
- #21 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
DSL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
DSL Phillies2 (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves)
- 5/25 – Phillies activated RHP Jeanmar Gomez from the 10-day disabled list.
- 5/25 – Phillies optioned Adam Morgan to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/25 – Washington Nationals traded C Nick Rickles to Philadelphia Phillies.
- 5/25 – C Nick Rickles assigned to Reading Fightin Phils.
- 5/25 – Reading Fightin Phils released C Joel Fisher.
- 5/25 – Lakewood BlueClaws activated SS Arquimedes Gamboa from the 7-day disabled list.
- 5/25 – 3B Jose Antequera assigned to Phillies Ext. Spring Training from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 5/24 – Phillies sent OF Howie Kendrick on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/24 – RHP Franklyn Kilome assigned to Phillies Ext. Spring Training from Clearwater Threshers.
- 5/24 – RHP Blake Quinn assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Phillies Ext. Spring Training.
- 5/23 – Phillies placed LF Daniel Nava on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to May 21, 2017. Left hamstring strain.
- 5/23 – Phillies recalled LHP Adam Morgan from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/23 – RHP Colton Murray assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/23 – Reading Fightin Phils released LHP Mario Hollands.
- 5/23 – Clearwater Threshers activated LHP Tyler Gilbert from the 7-day disabled list.
- 5/22 – Lakewood BlueClaws released LHP Zach Morris.
- 5/22 – LHP Casey Brown assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 5/21 – SS Jonathan Guzman assigned to Clearwater Threshers from DSL Phillies.
- 5/21 – SS Emmanuel Marrero assigned to Phillies Ext. Spring Training from Clearwater Threshers.
- 5/21 – Phillies activated RHP Aaron Nola from the 10-day disabled list.
- 5/21 – Phillies optioned Adam Morgan to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.