Lehigh Valley rallied to win and extend their winning streak to 11 games.
Reading was carried to victory by Angelo Mora’s 5 RBI.
Clearwater lost on a walk off 3-run HR.
Lakewood booted the game away on 4 errors and 3 unearned runs.
Lehigh Valley (25-13) beat Rochester, 9-5 for their 11th consecutive victory.
The IronPigs had to come from behind as Ben Lively put them in an early 5-0 hole. But after yielding a home run in the third inning, Lively retired 11 batters in a row while his team mates mounted their come back. After Lively’s departure, Adam Morgan (6.08), Colton Murray (4.66), and Hoby Milner (0.00) held the Red Wings to one hit in three scoreless innings.
The IronPigs started their comeback with a single run in the fourth inning on Rhys Hoskins sacrifice fly. Their rally continued with a 6-spot in the fifth that put them in the lead. With one out and the bases loaded, Jorge Alfaro emptied the bases with a double. They took the lead on Dylan Cozens 10th HR. Hoskins followed with a triple and scored on a wild pitch. They doubled their lead in the eighth on RBI singles by Hector Gomez (.185) and Pedro Florimon (.263).
- #1 Crawford (.165): 2-5 with a double, K
- #3 Alfaro (.301): 2-5 with a run scored, double, 3 RBI (17), K
- #4 Williams (.246): 0-5 with 2 K
- #6 Quinn (.275): 0-2 with a K
- #9 Cozens (.222): 1-4 with a run scored, HR (10), 2 RBI (30), BB, 2 K
- #12 Pivetta (2-0, 0.69): called up to Philadelphia
- #13 Hoskins (.336): 1-3 with 2 runs scored, triple, RBI (29), BB, K
- #17 Pinto (3-3, 5.35): DNP
- #20 Appel (2-2, 5.50): DNP
- #25 Lively (5-1, 3.19): 6.0 IP, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 86 pitches, 63 strikes
- #30 Valentin (.229): 7-day DL
Reading (20-13) beat Erie, 6-2.
Tyler Viza (2-3, 6.75) went 5.0 innings allowing 2 runs on 5 hits and a walk. He struck out 2 and gave up 2 solo HRs. Austin Davis struck out two in his AA debut, a two-hit scoreless inning. Mario Sanchez (2.18) pitched 2.0 scoreless innings. Miguel Nunez (1.88) pitched struck out two in a scoreless inning.
The Phils scored first on Angelo Mora’s (.189) ground out in the second inning. They stretched their advantage with 3 runs in the fourth inning on Mora’s third HR of the season. They scored two more in the sixth on RBI doubles by Osmel Aguila (.278) and Mora.
Four Phils had two hit games – Malquin Canelo, Jiandido Tromp, Aguila, and Mora. The same four players each doubled. Mora homered and had 5 RBI.
- #11 Kingery (.276): 0-5 with a K
- #18: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #22 Anderson (3-0, 4.67): DNP
- #23: Arano: 7-Day DL
- #24 Tocci (.325): 1-4
- #28 Canelo (.313): 2-5 with a double, K
- Pullin (.326): 1-4 with a run scored, K
- Tromp (.273): 2-3 with a run scored, double
Clearwater (22-17) lost to Fort Myers, 5-2.
The Threshers lost on a 2-out, walk off, 3-run HR off Jake Waguespack (0-2, 3.44) in the ninth inning. An error that allowed the lead off batter reach base made all three runs unearned.
Franklyn Kilome started but was lifted in the third inning after a one-plus hour rain delay. He had given up 2 runs on 5 hits at that point. He had thrown 59 pitches to get 7 outs and wasn’t likely to go much longer any way. Harold Arauz struck out 6 in 3.2 innings of scoreless relief. Waguespack had retired six consecutive batters before the error in the ninth inning.
Herlis Rodriguez (.301) tied the game in the fifth inning with a two-out, two-run single. But the Threshers only managed 4 hits during the game.
The Threshers are 6-11 since a five game winning streak lifted them to a 16-6 record on April 28th.
- # 5 Kilome (2-2, 3.98): 2.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 59 pitches, 39 strikes
- #10 Randolph (.190): 0-4 with 3 K
- #27 Ed. Garcia (1-0, 3.45): DNP
- #29 Pujols (.179): DNP
Lakewood (22-17) lost to Columbia 5-4.
Lakewood built an early 3-0 lead, but couldn’t hold on. JoJo Romero pitched into the sixth inning with a two run lead. After a lead off double he got a ground out and strike out, and was on the verge of getting out of the inning when Tim Tebow reached on a fielding error. Romero was replaced by Ismael Cabrera (2-2, 1.62) who completed the inning without retiring a batter. He went single, walk, single to allow the inherited runner to score the tying run, as well as the go ahead run. Fortunately, the final out was recorded at the plate on a relay from Daniel Brito. Another run scored in the seventh before Will Hibbs (0.00) came in and retired all 8 batters he faced, 5 by strike out.
The BlueClaws scored in the first inning on a throwing error on a Mickey Moniak single. They plated two in the third inning, one on a throwing error on a Henri Lartigue (.273) ground ball and the other on a Cord Sandberg (.285) RBI single. The ‘Claws added another run on a Lartigue force out in the seventh.
The teams combined for 7 errors and 5 unearned runs.
Sandberg had 3 hits. Raul Rivas (.292), Moniak, and Carlos Duran (.209) had 2 each. Sandberg had 2 doubles and an RBI. Lartigue went hitless but had 2 RBI.
- #2 Moniak (.270): 2-5 with 2 runs scored
- #7 Sanchez (1-2, 3.70): DNP
- #16 Medina (1-2, 2.03): DNP
- #19 Brito (.272): 0-5
- #26 Romero (2-1, 2.11): 5.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 91 pitches, 54 strikes
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #15 Stobbe
- #21 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
DSL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
DSL Phillies2 (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves)
- 5/16 – Reading Fightin Phils activated 3B Harold Martinez from the 7-day DL.
- 5/16 – Austin Davis assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 5/16 – Harold Arauz assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 5/16 – Brandon Leibrandt assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 5/16 – Tyler Hallead assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 5/16 – Tom Windle assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 5/15 – Seranthony Dominguez assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers
- 5/15 – Jose Taveras assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5/15 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released LHP Wander Perez (0-0, 5.63).
- 5/15 – Phillies optioned Ben Lively to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/14 – Phillies recalled Ben Lively from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.