Lehigh Valley and Reading were rained out. Double headers have been scheduled for Saturday.
Clearwater got buried early. Jose Pujols hit his first FSL home run.
Lakewood pounded out a one-sided victory.
Lehigh Valley (14-12) postponed, rain. DH tomorrow, probables: Pinto and Appel.
- #1 Crawford (.153):
- #3 Alfaro (.318):
- #4 Williams (.267):
- #6 Quinn (.250):
- #9 Cozens (.167):
- #12 Pivetta (2-0, 0.69): called up to Philadelphia
- #13 Hoskins (.337):
- #17 Pinto (2-2, 3.14):
- #20 Appel (1-2, 7.48):
- #25 Lively (3-1, 2.79):
- #30 Valentin (.240):
Reading (13-10) DH postponed, rain. DH tomorrow, probables: Watson and TBD.
- #11 Kingery (.291):
- #18: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #22 Anderson (2-0, 6.97):
- #23: Arano: 7-Day DL
- #24 Tocci (.318):
- #28 Canelo (.268):
- Pullin (.313):
- Tromp (.268):
Clearwater (18-11) fell behind early and lost 17-11. Never really made a game of it.
A strong wind was blowing out. The teams combined for 7 HR.
Alberto Tirado (1-2, 5.40) lasted 0.2 innings. He gave up 8 runs on 7 hits, one walk, and 3 HR. He struck out the two batters he retired. Ranfi Casimiro (6.00) relieved and allowed an inherited runner to score. He was just as ineffective as Tirado, albeit over a couple more innings. His line – 3.0 IP, 7 H, 8 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, WP, HBP. Luke Leftwich (5.17) went 2.1 innings, allowed an inherited runner to score, gave up a hit and walk, and struck out five. He also hit a batter. Matt Hockenberry allowed an unearned run, walked two, and struck out one in 1.0 inning. Austin Bossart pitched the final inning and gave up a hit and struck out a batter.
The Threshers scored 6 runs in the ninth inning to make the score almost respectable. Drew Stankiewicz (.347) had 4 hits. The top 5 guys in the line up had 2 hits each – Zach Coppola (.286), Cornelius Randolph (.194), Damek Tomscha (.337, Wilson Garcia (.283), and Jose Pujols (.178). Jan Hernandez (.254) was the only starter to not get a hit.
Randolph had 3 RBI. Stankiewicz and Pujols had 2 each. Tomscha hit his 5th HR, Stankiewicz hit his 2nd, and Pujols hit his first of the season.
- # 5 Kilome (2-1, 2.51): DNP
- #10 Randolph (.194): 2-6 with a run scored, double, 3 RBI, K
- #27 Ed. Garcia (0-0, 4.22): DNP
- #29 Pujols (.178): 2-5, with 3 runs scored, HR (1), 2 RBI, 2 K
It’s nice to see Jose Pujols finally hit his first FSL home run. But, his metrics are worrisome. In 107 PA, he has struck out 48 times against 5 walks and 1 HBP. He has zero sacrifice hits or flies. He has 3 XBH (2 doubles, 1 HR). His slash is .178/.224/.228/.452. He fares slightly better against RHP and worse against LHP. Pujols is a little young for this level (by 1.8 years) and I understand that this is a SSS, however I’ve watched him flail away at off speed pitches all season. Of his strike outs on the last home stand, all five came on off speed pitches. He’s lucky to see one fast ball per at bat. Even luckier if the FB is even near the strike zone. In order to advance, he will have to learn to identify off speed pitches and develop a plan of attack. Otherwise, he could flame out in Advanced A ball.
Lakewood (17-12) crushed Columbia, 12-2.
Adonis Medina lasted 4.0 innings before a high pitch count ended his night. Zach Morris (2-1, 3.55) took over and allowed 3 hits and 4 walks in 2.1 innings, but kept Columbia from putting more runs on the board. Felix Paulino (6.52) retired all 8 batters he faced in 2.2 innings.
Paulino allowed 2 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks while striking out six in his four innings. He threw 97 pitches and 55 strikes.
Every BlueClaw starter reached base via a hit except catcher Edgar Cabral. All scored a run and all except Cabral and Danny Zardon picked up an RBI.
Carlos Duran (.167) and Jose Antequera (.226) had 3 hits apiece. Mickey Moniak (.286), Brett Barbier (.231), and Cord Sandberg (.297) had 2 hits each. Antequerra had 3 RBI, Duran had two. Darrick Hall hit his third HR.
Sandberg picked up an outfield assist.
- #2 Moniak (.286): 2-5 with a run scored, RBI, K
- #7 Sanchez (0-2, 2.79): DNP
- #16 Medina (0-2, 2.16): 4.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 K
- #19 Brito (.316): 1-6 with 2 runs scored, RBI, 2 K
- #26 Romero (1-1, 2.92): DNP
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #15 Stobbe
- #21 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
DSL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
DSL Phillies2 (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
First, the XST schedule has been modified.
- The start times for all week day games against the Pirates, Braves, and Tigers have been moved up to noon whether at home or on the road.
- Week day games against the Yankees and Blue Jays remain at 1:00 PM.
- Wednesday games remain Camp Days and intrasquad games start at noon.
- Sundays are off days.
- Saturday’s games against the Blue Jays start at 10:00 AM whether at the Complex or in Dunedin.
Transactions (and paper moves)
- 5/5 – Phillies recalled Jake Thompson from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 5/5 – Phillies optioned Ty Kelly to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 5/4 – RHP Matt Hockenberry assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 5/3 – Clearwater Threshers placed LHP Tyler Gilbert on the 7-day disabled list.
- 5/2 – RHP Tyler Viza assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/2 – Osmel Aguila assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 5/2 – Reading Fightin Phils placed 3B Harold Martinez on the 7-day disabled list. Lower back strain.
- 5/2 – Seranthony Dominguez assigned to Phillies Ext. Spring Training from Clearwater Threshers.
- 5/2 – Ranfi Casimiro assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5/2 – Harold Arauz assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 5/2 – RHP Felix Paulino assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.