The regular season ended with Lehigh Valley, Reading, and Lakewood securing wins. Williamsport lost its final game. And the GCL Phillies dropped the first game of their three-game final series to the Cardinals.
David Buchanan (LHV) and Harold Arauz (LAK) closed out the regular season with stellar pitching efforts. Reading’s bash brothers hit tenth inning home runs to secure the Phils’ win. But, of course, how else would their regular season end.
Lehigh Valley (85-58) Beat Rochester, 7-0. David Buchanan (10-9, 3.98) finished the season with a strong effort. He held the Red Wings to two hits and NO walks in 7.0 innings. He struck out eight. Joely Rodriguez (2.79) and Luis Garcia (2.14) pitched one, one-hit inning apiece.
The IronPigs mustered a 15-hit attack. Every player in the line up had at least one hit. J.P. Crawford closed out the season going 1-5 with 3 strike outs. Nick Williams had a double in five at bats. Andrew Knapp went 2-5. Other IronPigs with multiple hits were Taylor Featherston, Cameron Perkins, and Osmel Aguila with 2 hits each. Jesse Valentin had 3 hits. Aguila had the only other XBH, a double. Brock Stassi had 2 RBI and Featherston had three.
- #1 Crawford (.244) went 1-5 with 3 K
- #3 Williams (.258) went 1-5 with a double
- #5 Thompson (11-5, 2.29) – promoted to Philadelphia.
- #11 Appel – DL, season-ending surgery to remove a bone spur.
- #12 Knapp (.266) went 2-5.
- #18 Pivetta (1-2, 2.55) DNP
- #24 Lively (10-5, 3.06) DNP
- #28 Ramos (0.38) – promoted to Philadelphia.
Reading (89-52) Beat Trenton, 11-6 with a five-run tenth inning, and finished the season with the second best record in franchise history. Will Morris (4.63) started what appeared to be a game to get several relievers some work before the playoffs. He went 3.0 innings and gave up a run on 2 hits. Five relievers followed. Gregory Infante pitched 1.0 Inning and gave up 3 runs. Alexis Rivero gave up 1 run in 2.0 innings. And, Jesen Therrien blew his second save giving up 1 run in 2.0 innings. Victor Arano got the win even though he loaded the bases with no outs in the ninth and pitched his way out of the inning. Joey DeNato struck out two in the best inning any of the relievers pitched.
Roman Quinn returned to the line up and had 3 hits, 2 doubles, 2 RBI and 2 SB. Jake Fox, Dylan Cozens, Rhys Hoskins, and Harold Martinez all had multi-hit games. Martinez, Cozens, and Hoskins each blasted a home run. Cozens (125) and Hoskins (116) had 2 RBI each. Martinez had 4 RBI (44).
The Phils opened the tenth inning with back-to-back home runs by Cozens (40) and Hoskins (38). After a Fox single Martinez hit a 2-run HR (9). Later Quinn doubled home the inning’s fifth run.
The Phils struck out 11 times – Jorge Alfaro, Cozens, and Aaron Brown 3 time each.
Reading’s rotation for the ELDS is – Mark Leiter, Ricardo Pinto, Elniery Garcia, Tyler Viza, and John Richy.
- #4 Alfaro (.285) 0-5 with 3 K
- #7 Cozens (.276) went 2-5 with a HR (40), 2 RBI (125), and 3 K
- #8 Quinn (.287) went 3-6 with 2 doubles, 2 RBI, and 2 SB
- #13 Hoskins (.278) went 3-5 with a double, HR (38), 2 RBI (116)
- #14 Kingery (.250) went 0-6
- #16 Pinto – (7-6, 4.10) DNP
- #18 Pivetta – (11-6, 3.41) promoted to Lehigh Valley
- #19 Eshelman (5-5, 5.14) DL, appendicitis
- #26 Cordero – (1-1, 3.46) promoted to Lehigh Valley
Lakewood (74-65) Beat Greensboro, 5-0. Harold Arauz (6-6, 3.18) pitched a 7.0 inning four-hitter. He walked one and struck out eight. Jan Hernandez had 2 hits and an RBI. Wilson Garcia had one hit and 2 RBI.
- #6 Randolph (.274) went 1-3 with a BB
- #9 Kilome (4-8, 3.85) DNP
- #27 Pujols (.241) went 0-2 with 2 BB
- #29 Edgar Garcia (4-1, 2.80) 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- #30 Tirado (7-1, 3.23) DNP
Williamsport (39-36) Lost to State College, 4-2. Julian Garcia (0-3, 3.60) got roughed up in one-plus innings. He faced five batters in the second and gave up 3 runs (2 ER) on 2 hits, and 4 walks. Kenny Koplove (3.76) held the Spikes to one run on 2 hits in 2.1 innings while walking NONE. Alexander Kline (2.88) pitched 2.2 scoreless innings, walking three. Carlos Indriago finished with 3.0 no-hit innings walking two.
David Martinelli had two hits and an RBI. Chandler had three hits. And, Luis Encarnacion stole his first base of the season.
- #17 Medina (5-3, 2.92) DNP
- #25 Romero (2-2, 2.56) DNP
GCL Phillies (43-15, 1-1) Lost to the GCL Cardinals, 3-0 in the first game of the three-game league finals. They return home to Clearwater to play games 2 and 3 (if necessary) at Bright House Field. The Phillies are 2-0 at Bright House this season.
Mauricio Llovera gave up all 3 runs in 4.1 innings. He gave up 3 hits and walked three. Jhon Nunez and Aaron Brown combined to shut out the Cardinals over the final 3.2 innings.
Llovera’s free passes came back to haunt him. They played a part in all three runs the Cardinals scored. He walked 2 batters in the first inning. Both scored. A walk and a failed fielder’s choice helped load the bases in the fifth. A hit batter forced in the third run. Jhon Nunez entered with the bases loaded and got an inning-ending double play.
The Phillies managed 12 base runners – 7 hits, 4 walks, and a fielding error. Danny Zardon and Rodolfo Duran had 2 hits apiece. But, the Phillies went 0-8 with runners in scoring position and left 11 men on base.
- Daniel Brito went 1-4 with a double and BB
- Josh Stephen went 0-4 with a BB
- Mickey Moniak went 0-2 as the DH and was lifted for a PH in the 5th, don’t know why.
- Lenin Rodriguez went 0-2
- Danny Zardon went 2-3 with a BB
- Malvin Matos went 1-4
- Jhailyn Ortiz went 1-4
- Jose Antequera went 0-3 with a BB
- Cole Stobbe went 0-4
- Rodolfo Duran went 2-4
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- Mitch Gueller has surfaced in the Big Sky Conference. He is a freshman wide receiver for Idaho State.
- 9/5 – Phillies sent Darnell Sweeney outright to Lehigh Valley. And so it begins. There’s one much-needed 40-man roster slot made available for the off-season.
- 9/5 – Reading activated Roman Quinn from the DL
- 9/5 – Osmel Aguila assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading.
- 9/5 – Will Morris assigned to Reading from Clearwater.
- 9/5 – Raul Rivas assigned to GCL Phillies from Clearwater.
- 9/5 – Elniery Garcia assigned to Reading from Clearwater.
- 9/4 – Reading placed RHP Tom Eshelman on the 7-day disabled list. Appendicitis.
- Organization Rosters are up to date.