Lehigh Valley moved into sole possession of first place behind Ben Lively’s three-hit effort.
Reading’s Nick Pivetta was strong after a first inning home run.
Felix Paulino and Scott Harris didn’t allow an earned run in Williamsport’s loss.
And, the GCL has another gifted pitcher in Mauricio Llovera. (Plus some video of lanky Kyle Young.)
Lehigh Valley (68-42) Beat Scranton, 2-1. Ben Lively held the RailRiders to one unearned run while striking out eight in eight innings. Michael Mariot earned his first save. Braock Stassi (.264) and Cedric Hunter (.296) had 2 hits apiece. Hunter put the IronPigs ahead with their only RBI. The win put Lehigh Valley in first place, a full game ahead of Scranton.
- #1 Crawford (.257) went 0-3 with a BB.
- #3 Williams (.285) went 1-4.
- #5 Thompson (11-5, 2.29) – DNP.
- #11 Appel – DL, season-ending surgery to remove a bone spur.
- #12 Knapp (.269) went 0-4 with 3 K.
- #24 Lively (6-4, 3.50) – 8.0 IP, 3, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP.
- #28 Ramos (0.38) – promoted to Philadelphia.
Reading (72-37) Beat Bowie, 4-2. Nick Pivetta rebounded from a 2-run HR in the first inning, and pitched into the eighth allowing 3 additional hits, no walks, and striking out six. Hoby Milner (1.91) earned his 5th save. The big name prospects went 0-15 with a walk and 5 K. Andrew Pullin (.373), Harold Martinez (.264), and KC Serna (.296) had 2 hits each. Angelo Mora (.254) tied the game with an RBI single in the fifth. Serna gave the Phils the lead with a 2-run HR (4) in the seventh.
- #4 Alfaro (.289) went 0-4.
- #7 Cozens (.276) went 0-4 with 3 K. (again)
- #8 Quinn (.288) DL, oblique, rehabbing with the GCL Phillies.
- #13 Hoskins (.279) went 0-3 with a BB.
- #14 Kingery (.303) went 0-4.
- #16 Pinto – (4-4, 4.46) – DNP.
- #18 Pivetta – (10-6, 3.55) – 7.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 HR.
- #19 Eshelman (2-2, 6.75) – on the 7-day DL.
- #26 Cordero – (13.50) – DNP.
Clearwater (63-43) DNP.
- #20 Garcia (9-3, 2.72)
- #22 Canelo (.247)
- #23 Tocci (.276)
Lakewood (50-55) Postponed, rain.
- #6 Randolph (.246)
- #9 Kilome (3-7, 4.31)
- #27 Pujols (.223)
- #29 Edgar Garcia –
- #30 Tirado (3-1, 4.72)
Williamsport (27-17) Lost to Mahoning Valley, 2-1. Felix Paulino (4.05) pitched six innings and allowed an unearned run on 4 hits and a walk. He struck out six. His own fielding error figured in the unearned run. Scott Harris (2-1, 0.56) pitched two innings and allowed an unearned run. He gave up 2 hits and struck out three. His wild pitch helped set up the unearned run. David Martinelli threw a runner out at home. Luke Maglich (.276) had 2 hits. The Crosscutters’ run scored from third on a throwing error on a steal of second.
- #17 Medina (4-1, 1.66) – DNP.
- #25 Romero – DNP.
GCL Phillies (23-10) Beat the GCL Yankees East, 11-7. Here’s another young pitcher tp keep an eye on, Mauricio Llovera. He had a rough first inning where he walked in a run, but settled down to shut down the Yankees through the fifth inning. He gave up 5 hits and 3 walks (2 hits and 2 walks in the first) but struck out 8 Yankees. His off speed pitch had nice movement as did his fast ball. I wandered over to check the radar gun and he touched 96 mph on a pitch. When I checked his chart after his five inning I was surprised to see that he sat 94-96 with a lot of 96s and touched 97 once (like 10-12 at 96).
Kyle Young followed and although he gave up 6 hits and 3 runs (only 1 earned), only one was hit hard. Three of the hits he allowed were of the “single to third baseman/second baseman” variety. He allowed a soft line drive to left, a ground single threw the hole to right, and a ground single up the middle. The hardest hit was the ground ball to right. Young’s fastball was 87-89, mostly 88-89 mph.
This was Young’s first batter in the seventh. It was an infield hit to third.
Fielder’s choice to Third. Error on the throw to first. I didn’t think the ball was hit hard enough to get two.
This is labelled incorrectly. It’s a ground ball to third, error on the third baseman.
One of the unearned runs charged to Young came when the catcher (Gardner) overthrew Young on a throw back to the mound. The kid is 6’10 and he didn’t have a prayer of catching this throw. In one of the attached videos, you can see a throw back to Young that almost went over him. The actual error was about 6 feet higher.
These are three of Young’s pitches in the seventh inning. I stopped recording when the batter stepped out after the third pitch. That pitch is the one where Garner almost overthrows Young.
Oh! The pony tailed umpire is Jennifer Pawol, the first female umpire in the GCL. This is the second time I’ve seen her behind the plate. She does a very good job.
Geury Ortiz gave back three runs in the ninth and Jose Nin had to come in with 2 runners on base to record the one-batter save, his third.
Roman Quinn went 3-4 with a double, SB and 2 runs scored. He stole second on a double steal where Ben Pelletier stole home on the throw. Quinn was lifted after six innings.
Daniel Brito also had 3 hits as well as 3 RBI. Mickey Moniak, Danny Zardon, Rodolfo Duran, and Ben Pelletier had 2 hits each. Zardon also had 3 RBI.
Moniak Doubled into the right center field gap and tripled into left center – the CF dove for the ball and it rolled to the fence.
The Phillies committed 5 errors.
- #2 Moniak (.326) went 2-5 with a double, triple, and RBI.
- #10 Gowdy (0-1, 4.50) – DNP.
- #15 Stobbe (.253) went 0-4 with a BB.
- #21 Jhailyn Ortiz (.276) DNP.
- Stephen (.288) went 1-5 with a double and RBI.
- Miller (0-0, 4.15) – DNP.
- Andrew Brown (0-0, 2.19) – DNP.
- Stewart (1-2, 5.91) – DNP.
- Fanti (4-0, 1.38) – DNP.
- Sixto Sanchez (3-0, 0.67) – DNP.
DSL Phillies (22-28) Lost to the DSL Athletics, 1-0 in 12 innings. Five pitchers struck out 11 batters. The winning run scored on a bases loaded walk.
- Jonathan Guzman (.305) went 2-4 with a sacrifice.
- Keudy Bocio (.227) DNP.
- Simon Muzziotti (.248) went 1-5.
- Dixon Gutierrez (.273) went 1-4.
DSL Phillies2 (29-21) Beat the DSL Rays2, 2-1 in 15 innings. Four pitchers held the Rays to 6 hits and 2 walksin 15 innings and struck out 15. The winning run scored on a bases loaded balk.
- Leonel Aponte (2-4, 3.09) – DNP.
- Carlos Oropeza (.198) DNP.
- Rafael Marchan (.333) went 1-6 with an RBI (20).
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- 8/2 – Phillies designated RHP Andrew Bailey for assignment.
- 8/2 – Phillies recalled RHP Luis Garcia from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 8/2 – 2B Carlos Alonso assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading.
- 8/2 – LHP Joely Rodriguez assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading.
- 8/2 – Victor Arano assigned to Reading from Clearwater.
- 8/2 – Clearwater activated LHP Brandon Leibrandt from the 7-day disabled list.
- 8/2 – Clearwater placed RHP Yacksel Rios on the 7-day disabled list.
- 8/2 – RHP Luke Leftwich assigned to Clearwater from Lakewood.
- 8/2 – Anderson Nunez assigned to DSL Phillies2 from DSL Phillies.
- Organization Rosters are up to date.