Rhys Hoskins’ 30th home run and 94th RBI weren’t enough for Reading.
JoshTobias went 4-4 for Clearwater in a losing effort.
Lakewood’s Franklyn Kilome rebounded from a two-run first inning to shut down Augusta in a strong effort. Zach Coppola had four hits as the lead off hitter.
Bailey Falter pitched a solid five innings (one ER) in a Williamsport loss.
And, Brandon Liebrandt pitched six shutout innings for the GCL Phillies in a game they eventually lost.
Lehigh Valley (64-41) DNP.
- #1 Crawford (.261)
- #3 Williams (.287)
- #5 Thompson (10-5, 2.29) –
- #11 Appel – DL, season-ending surgery to remove a bone spur.
- #12 Knapp (.265)
- #24 Lively (4-4, 3.86) –
- #28 Ramos (0.38) – promoted to Philadelphia.
Reading (70-35) Lost to Erie, 5-3. Nick Pivetta (9-6, 3.64) pitched five innings. He gave up two early runs but the Phils fought back to tie the game in the top of the sixth. He was lifted with runners on the corners an no outs in the bottom of the inning. Joely Rodriguez (2.61) came in and gave up line drive after line drive until he allowed both inherited runners to score and one of his own. Damage was limited by Gabriel Lino who threw out a base runner trying to advance behind a throw to the plate. (I just “love” relief pitchers who can’t strand base runners.) Hoby Milner (1.60) followed with two no-hit innings.
Harold Martinez (.263) had two hits. Osmel Aguila (.226) had two hits and his fourth home run. Rhys Hoskins hit a two-run home run off Dan Norris, the former Blue Jays top prospect who was traded to Detroit in the David Price trade. He’s the guy who lived in a van behind a WalMart one spring training.
- #4 Alfaro (.295) DNP.
- #7 Cozens (.277)DNP.
- #8 Quinn (.288) DL, oblique, rehabbing with the GCL Phillies.
- #13 Hoskins (.285) went 1-4 with HR (30) and 2 RBI (94).
- #14 Kingery (.250) went 0-4.
- #16 Pinto – (4-4, 4.54) – DNP.
- #18 Pivetta – (9-6, 3.64) – 5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 HR.
- #19 Eshelman (2-2, 6.75) – DNP.
Clearwater (60-42) Lost to Daytona, 13-5. Shane Watson (3-4, 4.32) could only record one more out after Josh Tobias committed a one-out fielding error that opened the flood gates to a six-run inning. Yacksel Rios (7.06) got the final out of the inning, but gave up five more on six hits and four walks over the next three innings. Joe DeNato (3.26) gave up two runs and struck out four in three innings. Ulises Joaquin (2.40) pitched a clean final inning.
Several guys got playing time when the Threshers found themselves in a 10-0 hole after two innings. Three more guys who played the whole game changed positions more than once. Great game for the score card. Glad it happened on the road.
Tobias (.714) went 4-4 with two doubles. Kyle Martin (.249) had two RBI (59). Zach Green (.256) had an RBI (56) and three walks. Derek Campbell (.287) wore the golden sombrero with four strike outs in four at bats.
- #20 Garcia (8-2, 2.50) – DNP.
- #22 Canelo (.245) DNP.
- #23 Tocci (.271) went 0-2 with 2 K.
- #26 Cordero – (5.63) – DNP.
Lakewood (48-53) Beat Augusta, 3-2 in ten innings. Franklyn Kilome (3-7, 4.31) gave up two runs in the first inning on three singles and a Deivi Grullon throwing error. He shut the GreenJackets down on three more singles over the next six innings. He walked NONE and struck out nine. Austin Davis (1-0, 0.00) got his first win and Sutter McLoughlin (3.03) picked up his fifth save with three shutout innings.
Zach Coppola (.328) had four hits at the top of the order and scored two runs. “C” Randolph, Damek Tomscha (.294), and Grenny Cumana (.292) had two hits each, including the RBI-single that brought home the go-ahead run. Jan Hernandez (.257) came off the DL (first game with Lakewood since June 27th) and went 0-5 with three strike outs.
- #6 Randolph (.259) went 2-4 with a walk.
- #9 Kilome (3-7, 4.31) – 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K, 88 pitches/61 strikes.
- #27 Pujols (.231) DNP.
- #29 Edgar Garcia DNP
- #30 Tirado (2-1, 5.22)- DNP.
Williamsport (24-15) Lost to State College, 2-1. Bailey Falter (1-4, 3.00) pitched a solid five innings. He gave up two runs (1 ER) on four hits, NO walks, and struck out four. Rehabbing Mark Laird (.360) had two of the Crosscutters’ four hits and their only RBI. Luke Williams (.234) returned to the line up for the first time since July 8th (no report on the injury suffered). He went 1-4 with a double. Henri Lartigue (.231) had the other hit, went 1-4 with a triple. Luis Encarnacion (.163) went 0-4 with three strike outs. Luke Maglich (.250) went 0-1 with 2 walks, a stolen base, and scored their only run.
- #17 Medina (4-0, 1.14) – DNP.
- #25 JoJo Romero
GCL Phillies (21-9) Lost to the GCL Yankees West, 2-1. Brandon Liebrandt pitched six shutout innings allowing four hits, a walk, and a hit batter. He struck out six and picked a runner off first base. He left leading 1-0. Luis Carrasco (3-1, 0.00) blew his second save when he allowed two unearned runs. The error that allowed the tying run and set up the go ahead run came on his own error on a throw to first after fielding a batted ball.
Roman Quinn played seven innings before being replaced. He went 2-4, scored a run, stole a base, and was caught stealing when picked off. The Phillies’ lone run scored when Quinn singled, stole second, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored on a wild pitch. Danny Zardon returned to the line up for the first time since July 5th. Unofficially, I heard he had an eye injury that kept him out of the line up. He played three innings and went 0-1. Ben Pelletier (.205) went 1-4 with a double.
- #2 Mickey Moniak (.322) went 1-3 with a BB.
- #10 Kevin Gowdy (0-1, 4.50) – DNP.
- #15 Cole Stobbe (.282) went 0-4.
- #21 Jhailyn Ortiz (.275) went 1-4.
- Josh Stephen (.282) DNP.
- Justin Miller (0-0, 4.15) – DNP.
- Andrew Brown (0-0, 2.19) – DNP.
- Will Stewart (1-2, 5.91) – DNP.
- Nick Fanti (2-0, 1.19) – DNP.
- Sanchez (3-0, 0.67) – DNP.
DSL Phillies (20-26) Lost to the DSL Astros Blue, 5-3.
- Jonathan Guzman (.297) DNP.
- Keudy Bocio (.213) went 1-3 with a BB.
- Simon Muzziotti (.264) went 2-4 with 2 RBI.
- Dixon Gutierrez (.280) went 1-4.
DSL Phillies2 (26-20) Beat the DSL Astros Orange, 6-2.
- Leonel Aponte (2-4, 3.02) – DNP.
- Carlos Oropeza (.204) went 2-4.
- Rafael Marchan (.337) went 1-3 with a BB.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- 7/26 – Lakewood released RHP Skylar Hunter.
- 7/28 – Phillies placed RF Peter Bourjos on the 15-Day DL retroactive to July 27, 2016. Right shoulder sprain.
- 7/28 – Phillies activated CF Aaron Altherr from the 60-day disabled list.
- 7/28 – Clearwater activated RHP Shane Watson from the 7-day disabled list.
- 7/28 – Luke Leftwich assigned to Lakewood from Clearwater.
- 7/28 – Lakewood activated 3B Jan Hernandez from the 7-day disabled list.
- 7/28 – Grant Dyer assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport.
- Organization Rosters are up to date.