Lehigh Valley (45-32) Beat Durham, 3-2 in 10 innings. The IronPigs tied the game on a two-out, RBI single in the ninth inning. They went ahead in the tenth on David Lough’s RBI ground out and Logan Moore’s RBI double. The extra run came in handy when Edward Mujica loaded the bases with one out and Tahylor Featherston committed a run scoring error. Former IronPig J.P. Arencibia saved the day by grounding into a game-ending double play.
Jake Thompson (2.88) pitched into the seventh but was lifted with one out and 2 runners on base. He had thrown 106 pitches at that point, 60 strikes. Phil Klein (0.00) pitched 2.1 innings, his only flaws were a hit batter and a wild pitch. Luis Garcia (6-1, 2.45) got one out and picked up the win. And, Mujica (4.09) was awarded his 19th save after his roller coaster inning.
Emmanuel Burriss (.278), Williams, and Cedric Hunter (.318) had 2 hits apiece. The IronPigs supported their pitchers with 3 double plays. However, they committed 4 errors – Burriss (2), Thompson (1), Crawford (2), and Featherston (14).
- #1 Crawford (.222) went 0-5.
- #2 Thompson (6-5, 2.88) – 6.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 2 WP.
- #3 Williams (.290) went 2-4 with a BB and RBI (36).
- #4 Appel – DL, shoulder strain.
- #9 Knapp (.266) DNP.
- #13 Eflin (5-2, 2.90) – promoted to Philadelphia.
- #17 Cordero – DL.
- #23 Sweeney (.231) DNP.
- #26 Asher – Restricted List.
- #28 Ramos (0.38) – DNP.
- #30 Lively (3-0, 2.09) – DNP.
Reading (53-23) Lost to Portland, 9-8. Tyler Viza (5.09) had a rough 4.0 innings. He gave up 6 runs (5 ER) on 7 hits and a walk. He threw 94 pitches/64 strikes. Tom Windle (6.07) walked 3 in 1.1 innings but didn’t yield a run. Gregory Infante (2.45) pitched 1.0 inning and left the game with runners on second and third and one out in the seventh. Hoby Milner (4-1, 2.05) struck out two batters and stranded the inherited runners. However, he gave up a 3-run home run in the eighth to blow the save and take the loss.
Jesse Valentin (.285), Jorge Alfaro, Rhys Hoskins, and Angelo Mora (.272) had 2 hits each. Alfaro (8) and Harold Martinez (5) hit home runs. Martinez had 3 RBI (25), Alfaro and Jake Fox (42) had 2 apiece.
- #6 Alfaro (.303) went 2-5 with a HR (8) and 2 RBI (41).
- #7 Quinn (.288) DL, oblique.
- #10 Pinto – (3-3, 4.32) – DNP.
- #15 Eshelman (0-0, 1.80) – DNP.
- #18 Pivetta – (7-4, 3.43) – DNP.
- #19 Hoskins (.281) went 2-5 with a double and RBI (61).
- #22 Cozens (.271) went 0-2 with 3 BB.
- #27 Brown (.234) went 1-4 with a double.
Clearwater (43-29) Beat Daytona, 5-4 in 10 innings. The Threshers are 4-0 in the second half, and have a six-game winning streak. They have double-digit hits in those six wins.
Ranfi Casimiro (4.48) didn’t look sharp in his first couple innings when he gave up the Tortugas first two runs. He seemed to have a lot of base runners but was able to minimize the damage. Even after settling down he didn’t look comfortable. Daytona put his FB in play a lot. It topped out at 90 mph and he didn’t strike out any batters. Still, he left the game after 5.0 innings in a tie game, having thrown 78 pitches (49 strikes) and allowing 2 runs on 5 hits, 2 walks, and a hit batter.
Daniel Stumpf (3.00) pitched two innings and gave up a run on 2 hits. Victor Arano (3.00) also went two innings allowing a run. Will Morris (4-2, 3.35) picked up the win with a scoreless 10th inning.
Carlos Tocci had himself a game. He had a career-high 5 base hits, tying a Threshers record. He also had 2 game-tying RBI as the Threshers came from behind on three different occasions. Mitch Walding (.266) and Chace Numata (.281) had 2 his each. Scott Kingery had 2 hits a pinch hitter who remained in the game on defense. Walding had 2 RBI (37), but also struck out 3 times. Kyle Martin picked up his 40th RBI.
On a somber note, I learned that Matt Imhoff suffered a training accident after Friday night’s game. It was the result of an equipment malfunction. He underwent surgery and may need additional procedure(s). My source told me that Imhof was using one of those rubber stretching devices. Another source said those are usually attached to a club house wall. The clip came loose and struck Matt in the face. The team was on the road in Brevard County. When they are on the east coast (or in southern Florida) no non-essential people make the trips. So, the people I interface with on a daily basis weren’t aware of the incident. Imhoff was added to the disabled list on Sunday. The Phillies (and Threshers) are very tight-lipped regarding injuries and even transactions. The team official I was questioning said he wasn’t aware of the incident. I told him I was going to release the following statement and he said it was as accurate as they could be at the time.
“Matt Imhof suffered an injury due to a training accident after Friday night’s game. He has been added to the disabled list. No further information is available at this time.”
I’m sure you are all with me, wishing the best for Matt.
- #11 Kingery (.279) went 2-2.
- #12 Canelo (.243) DNP.
- #14 Tocci (.275) went 5-6 with a double, 2 RBI (27), and SB (11).
- #15 Eshelman (4-2, 3.54) was promoted to Reading.
- #20 Tirado – assigned to Lakewood.
- #21 Garcia (6-2, 1.97) – DNP.
Lakewood (31-42) Lost to Greenville, 2-1. Drew Anderson (1-2, 1.93) had a nice line but suffered from lack of run support – 6.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K. The BlueClaws managed only 4 hits. Jose Pujols provided their short-lived lead on a solo home run (14).
- #5 Randolph – DL, shoulder.
- #8 Kilome (1-6, 5.12) – DNP.
- #20 Tirado – DNP.
- #24 Pujols (.237) went 1-4 with a HR (14) and RBI (45).
- #29 Grullon (.243) went 0-4.
Williamsport (4-6) Lost to Auburn, 3-1. Bailey Falter gave up 3 runs (2 ER) in 4.0 innings. Julian Garcia struck out 2 in his 2.0 inning debut. Darick Hall (.304) had 2 hits in 3 AB. Luis Encarnacion had a 2-out RBI (3). Brett Barbier made his debut and went 1-4.
- #16 Medina (1-0, 0.00) – DNP.
GCL Phillies (1-0) DNP.
- #? Mickey Moniak
- #25 Jhailyn Ortiz
DSL Phillies (6-13) DNP.
- Dixon Gutierrez (.362)
- Keudy Bocio (.226)
- Jonathan Guzman (.299)
DSL Phillies2 (8-11) DNP.
- Leonel Aponte (1-1, 0.87)
- Carlos Oropeza (.256)
- Rafael Marchan (.143)
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- 6/27 – Phillies activated RHP Vince Velasquez from the 15-day disabled list.
- 6/27 -Phillies optioned Elvis Araujo to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 6/26 – Clearwater Threshers activated RHP Jesen Therrien from the 7-day disabled list.
- 6/26 – Clearwater Threshers placed LHP Matt Imhof on the 7-day disabled list.
- Organization Rosters are up to date.
- Reported signing bonuses for Josh Stephen ($600K) and Justin Miller ($100K) have been added to the Tracker. That leaves $1,115,160 available for #5 Cole Irvin (slot $417,500) who has signed and other over slot signings.
- John Hennigan and Andrew Brown are in Clearwater.
- 2016 Draft Tracker is up to date.