Here’s the last weekly draft discussion for 2016. I’m not going to keep the discussion going now that the draft is over. This will also serve as the place to post any signings that I will add to the 2016 Draft Tracker.
- The Phillies selected high school players with their first three picks – OF Mickey Moniak, RHP Kevin Gowdy, and SS Cole Stobbe.
- They filled out their top 10 with college players – LHP Jojo Romero (jr.), LHP Cole Irvin (sr.), CF David Martinelli (jr.), C Henri Lartigue (jr.), RHP Grant Dyer (jr.), RHP Blake Quinna (sr.), and RHP Julian Garcia (soph).
- They returned to the high school ranks Saturday, selecting OF Josh Stephen, RHP Justin Miller, and RHP Andrew Brown in rounds 11 thru 13. All three are from California and have college commitments.
- They switched back to college players for 19 of the next 21 picks before selecting high school players with 4 of their last 6 selections.
I heard today that the kid from USF is pre-med and may not be an easy sign. A team mate was drafted from USF last year who had the same major, opted to continue his education rather than take the side trip through professional baseball.
Odd draft fact, this is the fourth year in a row that the Phillies have drafted a player from the College of Southern Nevada.
- 2016 – RHP Tyler Hallead, 24 th round
- 2015 – RHP Gabe Gonzalez, 36th round, didn’t sign
- 2014 – C Scott Tomassetti, 34th round, signed and released this March
- 2013 – RHP Will Morris, 24th round, signed and pitching for Clearwater