Lehigh Valley (26-25) Lost to Norfolk, 8-6. Jake Thompson had a rough night, failing to finish the fourth inning. Three relievers shutout the Tides the rest of the way. J.P. Crawford, Cody Asche, and Brock Stassi had two-hit games. Andrew Knapp was ejected after arguing a called third strike in the seventh inning.
- (#2) Thompson (3-5, 4.23) – 3.2 IP, 9 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HR.
- (#28) Ramos (0.00) – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.
- (#1) Crawford (.195) went 2-5 with 1 K.
- Asche (.238) went 2-5 with a double, RBI (4), and K.
- (#3) Williams (.279) went 0-5 with an RBI (23), and 3 K.
- Ruf (.241) DNP.
- (#9) Knapp (.239) went 1-3 with a BB, RBI (22), and 2 K.
- Stassi (.236) went 2-3 with a BB and 2 RBI (12).
- Perkins (.311) DNP.
- (#23) Sweeney (.230) went 1-4 with 2 K.
- SB – Featherston (1), Stassi (1), Venable (2).
- E – Asche (1).
Reading (34-18) Beat Portland 6-4. In spite of some spotty defense, John Richy allowed one earned run in six innings. Roman Quinn led off with his second home run. Quinn and KC Serna had three-hit games. Jorge Alfaro had two hits. Christian Marrero hit a home run. Quinn had 3 RBI.
- Richy (2-1, 4.99) – 6.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K.
- (#7) Quinn (.274) went 3-5 with a HR (2), 3 RBI (12), and a CS (5).
- Valentin (.276) DNP.
- (#6) Alfaro (.336) went 2-5 with a double.
- (#22) Cozens (.272) went 0-2 with 2 BB and an RBI (44).
- (#19) Hoskins (.253) DNP.
- (#27) Brown (.238) went 1-2 with 2 BB and a CS (4).
- E – Marrero (1), Richy (1), Brown (4).
Clearwater (30-21) Shane Watson got spanked early. Alberto Tirado got spanked late. And the Tampa Yankees out hit, out pitched, and out played the Threshers, 11-3. Malquin Canelo had 3 hits and 2 RBI. Mitch Walding had 2 hits. The Yankees starter was a fellow named Chance Adams. He’s a RHP and their #20 prospect. He looked sharp, striking out 8 Threshers in 5.1, 2-hit, 1-run innings. A Yankees scout told me that they are converting him from a reliever to a starter. He left after 84 pitches.
- Watson (0-2, 11.88) – 3.1 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 6 BB, 2 K.
- (#20) Tirado (16.20) – 1.10 IP, 2 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP.
- (#11) Kingery (.266) went 0-5.
- (#14) Tocci (.254) went 0-4.
- Pullin (.221) went 1-3 with a BB.
- Martin (.234) went 0-4 with 3 K.
- Green (.277) went 1-4 with a double and 3 K.
- Walding (.272) went 2-4 with a double.
- Sandberg (.250) went 0-2 with a BB, SF, and RBI (15).
- (#12) Canelo (.228) went 0-3 with a double and 2 RBI (17).
Watson made his second start for the Threshers and fared even worse last night. He began the evening by getting ahead of the Yankees #1 prospect, SS Jorge Mateo, 1-2 before the prospect poked an 85 mph off-speed pitch into left field for a single. Watson had his last bit of good fortune when a 1-2 pitch out to the next batter resulted in a caught stealing of Mateo. A subsequent single, base on balls, and single led to the Yankees first run. Before the inning was over, Watson had dug a 5-0 hole for the Threshers.
Watson required 37 pitches in the first inning. He settled down and faced 4 batters in each of the next two innings, and even struck out a couple batters. His pitch count dropped in those two innings to 16 and twelve. He came undone in the fourth. After a one-pitch out on a fly ball to center, Watson missed the strike zone on 12 of his next 14 pitches. Acting pitching coach Ray Burris visited after the second walk. Watson was pulled after the third walk.
Watson throws a fastball, change, slider, and curve. In all, he threw 80 pitches in 3.1 innings. His FB was 90-92, t 93,94 mph. He didn’t induce a swing and miss until his 35th pitch, on a 2-0 count to Mateo during his second AB in the first inning. He induced only 6 s&m among his 80 pitches. He threw first pitch strikes on 14 of 22 at bats.
Tomorrow, Ranfi Casimiro pitches in the series finale against the Yankees. It is also the end of a stretch of games against teams more difficult than those they built their early 15-6 record against. During the 31-game stretch that started on April 29th, they have so far gone 15-15 and have slipped into second place behind the Yankees.
Lakewood (20-31) Lost to West Virginia, 6-1. Luke Leftwich had a quality start, but the offense went toes up with 4 hits.
- Leftwich (4-3, 2.83) – 7.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HBP.
- Tobias (.292) went 1-3 with a double and a BB.
- (#29) Grullon (.222) went 0-1 as a pinch hitter.
- (#24) Pujols (.253) went 2-3 with a double, RBI (32), and HBP.
- Cs – Pujols (1), Biter (2).
- E – McLoughlin (1).
- Outfield Assist – Pujols.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Herlis Rodriguez homered in the XST game today. He says he expects to return to the Threshers next week.
- XST has seen the departure of the players who returned to the Dominican Republic for the DSL season which starts on June 4th.
- They only played one XST game today. Probably not enough players to play two.
- C Rodriguez watched the game from the seats behind the screen with the coaches. He’s still wearing the blue shorts, red shirt (no name/number) that has come to designate players under medical supervision. Don’t see how he can be expected to return this week or next as has been speculated.
- For anyone who was wondering if the Phillies might have rushed Crawford up to Lehigh Valley, Dickie Noles says that’s absurd.
- The Rosters are up to date here.