Another abbreviated report.
Lehigh Valley (0-2) Postponed, again.
Reading (2-2) Rallied to beat Portland, 5-4 in thirteen innings. Angelo Mora had opened the inning with a triple that set the table for Roman Quinn’s RBI single. The Phillies had tied the game in the ninth when with the bases loaded, Portland wild pitched home a run sandwiched between strike outs by J.P. Crawford and Rhys Hoskins. Rios, Gonzalez, and Ramos tossed 6.2 innings of shutout relief.
- Reading outhit Portland 15-9.
- Eight starters recorded a base hit.
- Mora (.467) went 4-6 with 2 R, a 3B, and RBI.
- Alfaro (.500) went 2-5 with a R and BB.
- Cozens went 2-5 (.231)with a R, 2B, HR (1), 2 RBI, and BB.
- Hoskins (.059) got his first hit of the season.
- Valentin (.333) went 2-5 with 2 2B and 2 BB.
- Crawford committed his second error, Hoskins and Quinn 1 each. None figured in the scoring.
- Rios allowed 1 of 2 inherited runners to score, Gonzalez stranded both of his inherited runners.
Clearwater (2-2) Beat Dunedin,7-0. Elniery Garcia allowed 3 hits over 5.1 innings and the bullpen pitched no-hit ball the rest of the way as the Threshers outhit the Blue Jays 13-3. They jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings and coasted to the easy win.
- All starters except Kingery posted hits.
- Kingery walked twice and scored 2 R.
- Tocci (.471)went 3-5 with a R.
- Canelo went 2-5 with a R and 2 RBI.
- Martin went 2-5 with a 2B, HR (2), R, and 2 RBI.
- Green (.444) was held to 1-5 but hit a 2B and had 2 RBI.
- Numata (.286) went 2-4 with a 2B.
- Garcia struck out 5 in 5.1 innings with 2 BB and 3 H.
- Munoz struck out 3 of the 5 batters he faced.
- DeNato walked one in his one inning.
- Arano pitched a 1-2-3 ninth.
- Sandberg and Canelo stole their first bases of the season.
- Tocci was picked off once and caught stealing later in the game.
Lakewood (1-3) Recorded their first win of the season with a come-from-behind, 10-9 win over Lexington in 10 innings. The Claws blew an early lead, then scored single runs in the seventh, eightth, and tenth innings to rally for the win. Zach Morris suffered thru a 6-run, 7-batter .1 inning. The one out he recorded was a K. The Claws outhit Lexington 15-11.
- Every starter got a hit except Randolph.
- Coppola went 3-5 with 2 R, 2 RBI, and a BB.
- Tromp went 3-6 with a R, HR (1), and 2 RBI.
- Tobias went 3-6 with a R, 2B, and RBI.
- Marrero went 2-5 with a R, 2B, and BB
- Marrero stole his 2nd base.
- Randolph committed his second error.
- Grullon allowed his first PB.
- Grullon threw out an attempted base stealer.
- The BlueClaws staff combined to strike out 15 batters.
- Leftwich struck out 6 in 4.0 innings.
- Tirado struck out 2 in 1 inning. A runner reached on a WP on his first K.
- Arteaga struck out 4 in 3.2 innings. He inherited a runner from Norris and let him score. But allowed only a walk over the next 3 innings and got the win.
- Tasin struck out 2 of the 3 batters he faced in the 10th and picked up the save.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- 24 of 27 starters had hits today. The 3 unlucky batters were Aaron Brown (REA), and the top two 2015 draft picks – #1 Cornelius Randolph (Lakewood) and #2 Scott Kingery (Clearwater).