A friend sent me this article from a newsletter he receives. In short, the Atlanta Braves are looking into moving their spring training operations from Orlando, FL; and have come up with a proposal that would place them in St. Petersburg, FL by 2018. Atlanta’s lease with Disney is up at the end of the 2017 season and neither is interested in renewing the lease.
The move would benefit Atlanta (and me) since it would bring their spring training operations closer to some other teams in Central Florida. Their closest “partner”, the Astros, were reported to be moving their spring training operations to south Florida.
The stadium complex being proposed in St. Pete could accommodate two teams. The story suggests that Milwaukee might be a possible new tenant if they were to decide to relocate their spring training operations from Arizona.
If any of this were to happen –
- The new sports complex would be about 10 miles south of the Carpenter Complex.
- Braves spring training games with the Phillies would be more easily accessible.
- Braves minor league spring training games with the Phillies would be more easily accessible.
- Braves minor league extended spring training games with the Phillies would be more easily accessible.
- Braves GCL games with the Phillies would be more easily accessible.
- The Braves would become a viable Instructs partner. (The Pirates decided not to travel much this year so the Phillies are playing the Yankees and Blue Jays almost exclusively during Instructs, one game with the Orioles in Sarasota.)
- The GCL Braves would be within reasonable distance of Clearwater.
- The Brewers would become part of the Grapefruit League and GCL.
- #2 thru #6 above would apply for the Brewers.
- The Brewers would be closer to the Advanced A affiliate, the Brevard County Manatees, their AA affiliate in Biloxi, and their DSL academy; but further from their AAA, A, and A- affiliates in Colorado Springs, Wisconsin, and Helena.
Okay, those are things that affect me. And Phillies’ fans who visit. But mostly me. As you can tell, I like the idea.