Lehigh Valley (62-75) beat the Syracuse Chiefs 8-3. Anthony Vasquez gave up three runs in six innings. Chris Leroux struck out two in two, no-hit innings. Nefi Ogando struck out two in one inning.
Vasquez also had two hits and an RBI. Jordan Danks hit a grand slam home run (6) in the sixth. Erik Kratz had three hits.
- Kelly Dugan (.210) went 2-4 with a run scored, double, walk, and RBI.
- Tommy Joseph (.181) went 1-4.
Reading (78-56) came from behind to beat the Binghamton Mets 6-2. Jake Thompson pitched seven innings and gave up two runs on eight hits and no walks. Ryan O’Sullivan picked up the six-out save (4).
The Phils rallied with four runs in the seventh and two in the eighth. Brodie Greene had an RBI single, KC Serna a sac fly, and J.P. Crawford a two-run double in the seventh. Dylan Cozens hit a two-run home run (2) in the eighth.
- J.P. Crawford (.270) went 2-4 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI.
- Andrew Knapp (.367) went 0-3 with a walk.
- Dylan Cozens went 2-4 with a run scored, HR (2) and 2 RBI.
Clearwater (75-56) was rained out, again. They had changed the double header to a single game and scheduled the double header for Tuesday. If that stays in effect, Matt Imhof and John Richy are listed as starters. Both teams have an off day Wednesday, but make up games will not change the playoff match ups. We’re getting a lot of rain in southern Florida and up and down the Gulf Coast from the remains of Erika.
No matter what happens this week, The Threshers will begin the playoffs with a road game at Daytona Tueday, September 8th. They will return home for game two on Wednesday, September 9th. If a third game is needed in the best of three series, it will be played at Bright House Field on Thursday. The Threshers, as first half winners, were given the choice of hosting game one or games two and three.
Lakewood (69-62) beat the Greesnboro Grasshoppers 5-3. Austin Davis gave up three runs on seven hits and six strike outs in seven innings. He walked none. John Zgardowski allowed five base runners in two innings but struck out the side, twice. Matt Hockenberry notched his 18th save. Deivi Grullon had a RBI single and Cord Sandberg had a sac fly in the first. Grullon hit a solo home run (8) in the third. Herlis Rodriguez hit a tie-breaking, RBI single in the sixth. Jiandido tacked on a run with a sac fly in the seventh.
- Herlis Rodriguez (.297) went 2-5 with a double and RBI.
- Scott Kingery (.252) went 1-3 with 2 runs scored and a walk.
- Deivi Grullon (.219) went 2-3 with 2 walks, a HR (8), and 2 RBI.
- Damek Tomscha (.279) went 1-3 with a walk.
- Cord Sandberg (.252) went 1-4 with a double and RBI.
- Sandberg threw out a runner at home.
Williamsport (44-25) beat the Auburn Doubledays 12-2. Luis Morales gave up two unearned runs in five innings. Kenny Koplove, Skylar Hunter, and Robert Tasin pitched four shutout innings in relief. The Cutters collected 15 hits and six walks.
- Venn Biter went 3-4 with a double and RBI.
- Josh Tobias (.318) went 1-2 with 2 walks.
- Brendon Hayden (.310) went 1-4.
- Jan Hernandez went 3-4 with 3 runs scored, a double, triple, walk, and 4 RBI.
- Carlos Duran went 4-5 with 3 runs scored, a double, triple, and 3 RBI.
- Austin Bossart (.346) went 2-4 with a double and 2 RBI.
GCL Phillies (36-24) Season completed. Finished in second place in Northwest Division, 4.0 games behind the GCL Blue Jays. They had the fourth best record in the GCL. Unfortunately, they finished 8-10 over the last three weeks while the Blue Jays finished 14-4 over the same span.
- “C” Randolph led the team with a .302 AVG, 52 H, 34 runs, 15 doubles, 3 triples, 32 BB/32 K, .425 OBP, .442 SLG, .866 OPS
- Luis Encarnacion led with 52 H, 4 HR, 36 RBI.
- Felix Paulino was tied with 5 wins and led with 46 K, 2.34 ERA, 0.92 WHIP.
- Paulino 46 K/5 BB in 50.0 IP, Bailey Falter 25 K/3 BB in 28.2 IP
DSL Phillies (40-32) Season completed. Finished tied for second place, three games back.
- AVG – Henry Santana .278
- OBP – Daniel Brito .421
- SLG – Santana .411
- OPS – Brito .728, Santana .725
- Edgar Gacia – 71 G, 255 AB, 47 R, 68 H, 14 doubles, 4 triples, 24 SB
- Nerluis Martinez – 5 HR
- RBI – Garcia and Ronaldo Marrero 28, Martinez 27, Santana 26
- Brito 22 K, 35 BB
VSL Phillies (30-40) Season completed. Finished tied for third in a four team league.
- Their leading hitter was Enger Jimenez – .307, 36 R, 33 RBI, 15 SB.
- Jimenez was second on the team with three HR.
- Lenin Rodriguez led the team with four HR.
- Sergio Velis (4-2, 1.33) was their best pitcher – 74.2 IP, 50 H, 14 BB, 59 K, 0.86 WHIP.
Here’s the affiliated scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Luis Morales assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies.
- Ismael Cabrera assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies.
- In an article by Todd Zolecki, the Phillies might add three players when rosters expand C Erik Kratz, RHP Dalier Hinojosa, and RHP Colton Murray. And maybe RHP Nefi Ogando. The Phillies would like promote a couple players from Reading, but prefer allowing those players to experience the postseason.
- In another article by Todd Zolecki, Maikel Franco could return to the Phillies before the end of the season. However, Chad Billingsley’s season is over. Elvis Araujo is also probably done.
- The Toronto Blue Jays released Phillippe Aumont. He had been pitching for their AAA affiliate in Buffalo. In 18 innings he struck out 23, but walked 22.