The Rule 5 Draft will be held on December 9th during the baseball’s 2022 Winter Meetings in San Diego. Last year, the major league portion of the draft was canceled due to Manfred’s lockout.
The minor league (or Triple-A) portion of the 2021 draft was held. The Phillies claimed RHP Matt Seelinger from San Francisco. He was assigned to Reading until he was promoted to Lehigh Valley for 2 scoreless appearances in September. No Phillies’ farm hands were selected during the draft.
There are 69 players in the organization who are Rule 5 eligible. Thirty-six are first-timers and 33 are returning eligibles. Ten of these players are protected from the draft as long as they are on the 40-man roster.
The first-timers (36) –
- Bryson Stott, a first-time eligible but since he’s on the active roster, he’s not at risk.
- LHP: Erubiel Armenta, Gabriel Cotto, Maikel Garrido, Josh Hendrickson, Brian Marconi, Rafael Marcano, Jordi Martinez, Erik Miller, Spencer Van Scoyoc,
- RHP: Aidan Anderson, Albertus Barber, Starlyn Castillo, Carlos A. Francisco, Kyle Glogoski, Adam Leverett, McKinley Moore, Nicoly Pina, Dominic Pipkin, Carlo Reyes, Andrew Schultz, Brett Schulze, Eduar Segovia, Manuel Urias, Wilson Valdez,
- Catchers: Arturo De Freitas, Vito Friscia, Herbert Iser,
- Infielders: Chris Cornelius, Wilfredo Flores, Sal Gozzo, Kendall Simmons, McCarthy Tatum, Rixon Wingrove,
- Outfielders: Jeff Encarnacion, and Johan Rojas.
Maybe Schultz, Rojas, Pipkin, or Schulze draws interest.
The second-timers (22) –
- Alec Bohm, Michael Plassmeyer, Matt Vierling, Hans Crouse, and James McArthur are second-time eligible, but as long as they are on the 40-man roster they are not at risk.
- LHP: Keylan Killgore, Taylor Lehman, Ethan Lindow, Gabriel Yanez,
- RHP: Carlos Betancourt, Colton Eastman, Luis Gomez, Cristian Hernandez, Tyler McKay, Jack Perkins, Tom Sutera, Victor Vargas,
- Catchers: Jack Conley, Nick Matera,
- Infielders: Matt Kroon, Madison Stokes,
- Outfielders: Carlos De La Cruz.
These guys were already exposed to the draft once. Maybe someone takes a chance on Lindow.
The three-timers (11) – these guys had already celebrated their 19th birthday when they signed their first contracts in 2017 and became eligible for the draft after four seasons. After this third trip thru the draft, they will become free agents after the 2023 season if not on the 40-man roster.
- Connor Brogdon, Dalton Guthrie, Nick Maton, and Damon Jones are third-time eligible, but as long as they are on the 40-man roster they are not at risk.
- LHP: Jakob Hernandez, Jhordany Mezquita, David Parkinson, Zach Warren,
- RHP: Matt Seelinger,
- Infielder: Will Toffey,
- Outfielder: Chris Sharpe.
These were exposed to the draft twice already. Some of them are probably more likely to be non-tendered than in the organization at the time of the draft.