Another slow week for the Phillies. They signed two more international free agents, signed a local kid, and saw the Braves claim two of their DFAs off waivers.
Now that Springer has signed, the Realmuto camp is probably hoping that contract somehow establishes a higher price tag for JT. If that were true, it would eliminate most teams, except the Phillies. If it’s not true, and it’s probably not, Realmuto will sign with the Phillies in a couple weeks.
No change here. I’ll keep updating until opening day or the 26-man roster is set.
This additional salary expense brings the Phillies’ running payroll to $137,015,962. This includes fifteen players under contract plus an estimate for eleven players under team control with 0-3 years experience ($7.7M).
The Phillies’ salary against the competitive balance tax remains at $148,278,782 and includes estimates for the rest of the 40-man roster ($2.25M) and player benefits ($15.5M). With a CBT threshold of $210M, the Phillies are around $61,721,218 under the tax threshold. (see spreadsheet)
The Phillies signed two kids from Panama – OF Jorge Garcia and SS Alfredo Alderete, bringing their total of signed ingternational free agents to fifteen.
South Jersey native, Mike Adams, impressed several teams at a pro day invitational, including the Phillies, and signed a minor league contract with the Phillies. He’s a RHP with a mid-to-upper 90s fastball, slider, and change up.
The Braves claimed OF Kyle Garlick and RHP Victor Arano after the Phillies designated them for assignment to make roster space for Archie Bradley and CJ Chatham.
This week we should hopefully hear the end of conversation about this year’s HOF voting. I don’t know how y’all feel, but I could care less about the hall of very good it has to become to satisfy all the analytics dudes out there. But, I have a solution that might help.
- The BBWAA would most certainly hate to give up or share their franchise, but a more diversified voter pool would certainly be better than the current bunch of middle-aged white guys closely guarding the vote.
- A player is allowed ONE YEAR on the ballot. It should not take voters 10 years (formerly 15) to decide if a player deserves to be in the HOF. This would also neutralize that ridiculous argumeny of some that certain players don’t deserve to be elected on the first ballot. If a player deserves to be in the HOF, one vote should do.
- NO LIMIT to the number of players a voter may select on any year’s ballot. Of course, when coupled with #2 above, ballots should only include that year’s eligible players. If 15 players are eligible and 12 are hall worthy, then 12 can get in if they receive enough votes.
- SIMPLE MAJORITY of votes to get in. 75% is a joke. It only takes two-thirds to override a presidential veto. Wanna lower it to only 60 or 55%, fine, but lower it.
- You can still set up the various committees to “correct mistakes”, but don’t allow a repeat of what happened in 2019 when Jerry Reinsdorf got Harold Baines through the veteran’s committee.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- January 15, 2021 – Deadline for teams and arb eligible players to submit salary figures to an arbiter
- January 15, 2021, 9:00 AM EST – Start of the 2020 international signing period
- February 14, 2021 – Report date for major league ST
- February 17, 2021 – First ST workout
February 22, 2021 – Voluntary spring training reporting date for position players February 24, 2021 – Mandatory spring training reporting date
- February 27, 2021 – First spring training game v. Blue Jays
- April 1, 2021 – Opening Day for ALL 30 teams
- April 2021 – ST for Double-A and Single-A begins
- May 2021 – Opening day for Double-A and Single-A
- June 25, 2021 – Close of the 2020 international signing period
- July 11-13, 2021 – 2021 Amateur Draft
The rosters and lists are up to date as of January 24th … 339 players in the org
1/22/2021 – Braves claimed OF Kyle Garlick off waivers from Phillies
1/22/2021 – Braves claimed RHP Victor Arano off waivers from Phillies
1/18/2021 – Phillies sign FA RHP Archie Bradley
1/18/2021 – Phillies designate RF Kyle Garlick for assignment
1/18/2021 – Red Sox traded SS C.J. Chatham to the Phillies for a Player To Be Named Later
1/18/2021 – Phillies designate RHP Victor Arano for assignment
1/18/2021 – Phillies sign FA RHP David Paulino to an MiLB contract
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA OF Yemal Flores
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA C Rickardo Perez
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA SS Marco Soto
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA SS Leonardo Rondon
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA OF Raylin Heredia
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA SS Yemil Rosario
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA C Dervin Andrade
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA RHP Daniel Mejia
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA RHP Juan Melendez
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA SS Julio Hereaux
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA C/OF Solardo Rodriguez
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA SS Deivi Cabrera
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA RHP Joset Aparacio
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA OF Jorge Garcia
1/15/2021 – Phillies sign IFA SS Alfredo Alderete
1/09/2021 – Phillies traded RHP Carson Ragsdale to Giants for RHP Sam Coonrod
1/04/2021 – Phillies sign FA C Christian Bethancourt to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
1/04/2021 – Phillies sign FA RHP Neftali Feliz to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
1/04/2021 – Phillies sign FA INF Ronald Torreyes to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
1/04/2021 – Phillies sign FA RHP Michael Ynoa to an MiLB contract with invite to ST