I hope you all remained safe over the holiday weekend. Local police started pulling drivers over as early as 7:00 PM Thursday night. My wife was out Dashing and she saw so many idiots running lights she stopped for the night. That’s Florida for you, no masks, no sense.
Semi-quiet on the baseball front. One trade and one minor free agent signing.
The Phillies completed a trade for a left-handed reliever, Jose Alvarado. He comes with a couple warts but has the potential to be a high-leverage asset in the Phillies bullpen. His cost was LHP Garrett Cleavinger, a pitcher in whom Girardi showed little confidence last season.
The Rays operate under an aura that leads people to think they don’t make mistakes. Well, a trade earlier in the week left them in a position where they would have to release a player to make room on their 40-man roster. Rather than an outright release, they traded a player and got a prospect back who didn’t have to be on the 40 plus a PTBNL or cash. The Phillies were able to capitalize on that.
The Phillies also signed right-handed reliever, Michael Ynoa, to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. He is the second pitcher the Phillies signed out of the Dominican Winter League. They had signed RHO Neftali Feliz earlier. This is no accident. The Phillies have scouts active in the DR and coaches on some staffs in the DWL. It doesn’t hurt to take a flier on guys like this. If they don’t survive ST, it only costs a plane ticket, motel room, and meal money.
Don’t let the inactivity bother you and don’t let the rumors upset you.
(FWIW. The guys in which I’ve heard the Phillies have an interest are all STILL on the board.)
Amateur Draft discussions will restart this week.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- January TBD – Rookie Career Development Program
- January 15, 2021 – Deadline for teams and arb eligible players to submit salary figures to arbiter
- January 15, 2021, 9:00 AM EST – Start of the 2020 international signing period
- February 17, 2021 – Voluntary spring training reporting date for pitchers, catchers, and players recovering from injuries
- February 22, 2021 – Voluntary spring training reporting date for position players
- February 24, 2021 – Mandatory spring training reporting date
- February 27, 2021 – First spring training game v. Blue Jays
- April 1, 2021 – Opening Day for ALL 30 teams
- June 25, 2021 – Close of the 2020 international signing period
- July 11-13, 2021 – 2021 Amateur Draft
The rosters and lists are up to date as of January 3rd … 322 players in the org
- organization’s rosters (1/3)
- organization’s injury list (1/3), as current as possible, MLB closed Updates
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility (1/3) (includes player info, assignments, …)
Transactions (newest transactions are in bold print)
Reported yet unsubstantiated FA signings of RHP Michael Ynoa, INF Ronald Torreyes, C Christian Bethancourt, and RHP Neftali Feliz to minor league contracts with invites to spring training are in italics.
12/31/2020 – Phillies sign FA RHP Michael Ynoa to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
12/29/2020 – Rays traded LHP Jose Alvarado to Phillies; Dodgers traded PTBNL and 1B Dillon Paulson to Rays; Phillies traded LHP Garrett Cleavinger to Dodgers
12/19/2020 – Phillies sign FA RHP Neftali Feliz to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
12/15/2020 – Phillies sign FA C Christian Bethancourt to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
12/10/2020 – Phillies claimed SS Kyle Holder off waivers from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
12/10/2020 – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre claimed RHP Reggie McClain off waivers from Lehigh Valley
12/07/2020 – Phillies claimed RHP Ian Hamilton off waivers from Seattle
12/04/2020 – Phillies sign FA INF Ronald Torreyes to an MiLB contract with invite to ST
11/20/2020 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Kyle Dohy from Lehigh Valley
11/20/2020 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Damon Jones from Lehigh Valley
11/20/2020 – Phillies selected the contract of SS Nick Maton from Lehigh Valley
11/20/2020 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Francisco Morales from Lehigh Valley
11/20/2020 – Phillies selected the contract of CF Simon Muzziotti from Lehigh Valley
11/20/2020 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Bailey Falter from Lehigh Valley