“We need to win nine out of ten.” That Bryce Harper quote and a very short, 15-second comment behind closed doors by manager Joe Girardi may have turned the Phillies’ season around. They went onto a 5-game wining streak and propelled themselves into the thick of the division and wild card races.
The Phillies swept a two-game series with the Nationals when Thursday’s games was postponed. They grabbed the first two games of the Braves series before settling for two out of three. Their rally from a 10-run deficit fell short in a 12-10 loss.
The Phillies are 14-15 .483 and tied for second place with the Marlins. I think the Marlins 2-1 record in head-to-head gives them the automatic playoff spot. The Phillies would however qualify for the second wild card and final playoff position.
The Phillies continue with must-win games. They are at home for four games against the Nationals, followed by a four game series in New York against the Mets. The Phillies need to compile a lot of wins against division foes. Six of their last ten games are against the Blue Jays and Rays, teams they don’t fare well against.
With the trade deadline approaching, there was little involving the Phillies. Deolis Guerra cleared waivers and was assigned to the alternate training site. Austin Davis did not clear waivers and the Phillies worked out a trade with the Pirates for a PTBNL. Mickey Moniak recovered from his leg injury and was invited to Allentown.
David Robertson’s Phillies’ career is likely at an end. The reliever suffered a setback and was shutdown. The Phillies will probably avoid his $12M salary and buy him out for $2M.
There were a lot of rumors involving the Phillies Sunday. Some of the deals made me blanch, but then I’m a little over-protective of our young players. None of the guys the Phillies were interested in came off the board. So, maybe a deal gets announced today. Oh, that guy Hinkie likes from Baltimore, the Phillies were interested in him before they made their bullpen upgrades last week. I think the Orioles wanted to wait until the deadline to get the best deal and the Phillies couldn’t wait.
The PTBNLs may have already been agreed upon. They may have pushed back the announcement until the end of the season. Any player traded this season has to be placed on the 60-man player pool. Delaying the announcement allows flexibility with all those empty slots in Allentown.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- August 31, 2020 – Trade Deadline
- September 15, 2020 – Deadline for players to be added to Major League roster for postseason eligibility
- September 28-October 1, 2020 – Minor League Baseball Innovators Summit, Winston-Salem, NC
- September 30, 2020 – Expiration of the Professional Baseball Agreement between MLB and MiLB
- October 15, 2020, 5:00 PM EDT – Close of the 2019 international signing period
- October TBA – Trading resumes, day after the World Series ends
- October – November TBA, five days after the conclusion of the World Series – Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents
- November TBA, fifteen days after the conclusion of the World Series – Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers
- November TBA – GM Meetings (Nov. 11-14, Scottsdale, AZ in 2019)
- November TBA – Owners meetings (Nov. 19-21, Arlington, TX in 2019)
- November 20, 2020 – Rosters set for Rule 5 Draft
- November TBA – MLBPA executive board meeting (Nov. 26-29 in Irving, TX in 2018)
- December 2, 2019 – Last day for teams to offer 2021 contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters
- December 6-10, 2020 – Winter Meetings in Dallas, Texas, at the Omni Dallas Hotel and Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas, held in conjunction with the Baseball Trade Show and PBEO Job Fair.
- December 10, 2020 – Rule 5 Draft
- January TBA – Rookie Career Development Program
- January 15, 2021, 9:00 AM EST – Start of the 2020 international signing period
The rosters and lists are up to date as of August 22nd … 345 players in the org
8/29/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster CF Mickey Moniak to spring training
8/26/2020 – Phillies traded LHP Austin Davis to Pirates for PTBNL and cash
8/25/2020 – Phillies invited non-roster RHP Deolis Guerra to spring training
8/25/2020 – Phillies sent Deolis Guerra outright to Alternate Training Site
8/22/2020 – Phillies optioned Cole Irvin to Alternate Training Site
8/22/2020 – Phillies designated RHP Deolis Guerra for assignment
8/22/2020 – Phillies placed RF Jay Bruce on the 10-day IL
8/22/2020 – Phillies activated CF Adam Haseley from the 10-day IL
8/22/2020 – Phillies optioned Connor Brogdon to Alternate Training Site
8/21/2020 – Red Sox traded RHPs Brandon Workman and Heath Hembree, $815K, and a PTBNL to Phillies for RHPs Nick Pivetta and Connor Seabold
8/21/2020 – Phillies recalled LHP JoJo Romero from Alternate Training Site
8/21/2020 – Phillies optioned LHP JoJo Romero to Alternate Training Site
8/21/2020 – Phillies designated LHP Austin Davis for assignment
8/21/2020 – Phillies placed LHP Jose Alvarez on the 10-day IL, testicular contusion
8/21/2020 – Yankees traded RHP David Hale to Phillies for RHP Addison Russ
8/20/2020 – Phillies recalled LHP JoJo Romero from Alternate Training Site
8/20/2020 – Phillies optioned RHP Ramon Rosso to Alternate Training Site
8/20/2020 – Phillies optioned RF Kyle Garlick to Alternate Training Site
8/20/2020 – Phillies activated RHP Reggie McClain from the 10-day IL
8/20/2020 – Phillies recalled LHP Cole Irvin from Alternate Training Site
8/18/2020 – Phillies traded RHP Edgar Garcia to Tampa Bay Rays for PTBNL
8/18/2020 – Phillies activated CF Roman Quinn from the 10-day IL
8/17/2020 – Phillies optioned LHP JoJo Romero to Alternate Training Site