Busy week. Position players reported, and the first full squad workout was held last Monday. J.T. Realmuto lost his arbitration case and settled for the $10M consolation prize. He’ll likely make up the difference in his extension. Hector Neris settled before his arb hearing for $4.6M. The Phillies opened their Grapefruit League season in Lakeland and played to an 8-8 tie against the Tigers. Several young Phillies’ prospects distinguished themselves in the game. The Phils beat the Pirates in their home opener at Spectrum Field, and the team unveiled an awkward update of the Phanatic.
We experienced unusually high temperatures at the beginning of the week, 80 in the AM and mid-80s by mid-afternoon. With unusually high humidity, the afternoons felt like July and August during the GCL season. I felt worn out after being on my feet for as many as 8 hours. Friday, the weather turned to forties overnight and fifties during the day with a strong wind.
I haven’t felt like sitting at a keyboard lately. And, there’s really not much to report during spring training. How many times can I repeat that Alec Bohm hits like a major leaguer, Spencer Howard looks sharp in his bullpens (he threw one on I think it was Friday), or Andrew McCutchen looks tentative during BP. Actually, He IS progressing better. Late one afternoon, I saw him running sprints in left field on Ashburn with 3 trainers (or some such medical people) watching.
Minor league mini camp is running smoothly. They start after lunch and work til 5:00 PM. They spend a lot of time on fundamentals. During an outfield exercise that required throws to third base only Jhailyn Ortiz reached the bag on the fly. I don’t always stay for BP, but observed that Kendall Simmons has a very quick bat. Luis Garcia has the best glove and strongest arm among the infielders, followed closely by Brito and Guzman. Pitchers and catchers do most of their work out of sight from my prying eyes. There are enough of them here that maybe they’ll play some intrasquad games now that the major league players have moved into Spectrum Field releasing most of the Complex fields for earlier workouts.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics.
- March 1, 2020 – Reporting date for minor league spring training
- March 17, 2020 – Tentative start date for minor league spring training games
- March 2020 – Americas Qualifier in Arizona (2020 Olympics qualifier)
- March 23, 2020 – Final spring training home game v. Rays
- March 26, 2020 – Phillies’ opening day at Miami, active roster reduced to 26 players
- March/April 2020 – At-Large Qualifier in Taiwan (2020 Olympics qualifier)
- April 2, 2020 – Phillies’ home opener v. Milwaukee
- June 10-12, 2021 – Amateur draft in Omaha, NE
- June 15, 2020 – International amateur signing period closes
- July 2, 2020 – International amateur signing period opens
- July 10, 2020 – Deadline for drafted players to sign, except for players who have exhausted college eligibility
- July 14,2020 – All-Star Game at Los Angeles
- July 31, 2020 – Last day during the season to trade a player
- August 31, 2020 – Last day to be contracted to an organization and be eligible for postseason roster
- September 1, 2020 — Active rosters expand to 28 players
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Erick Barria as an international free agent (2/7/20)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Estibenzon Jimenez as an international free agent (11/27/19)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Jared Loyo as an international free agent (12/27/19)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Ronny Ramirez as an international free agent (11/23/19)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Pedro Reyes as an international free agent (12/18/19)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Albert Rodriguez as an international free agent (11/25/19)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Gabriel Tirado as an international free agent (12/5/19)
2/22/2020 – Phillies signed Edgar Zuniga as an international free agent (1/4/20)
2/13/2020 – Lakewood released SS Seth Lancaster
2/21/2020 – Phillies sent LF Nick Martini outright to Lehigh Valley
2/15/2020 – Phillies designated LF Nick Martini for assignment
2/15/2020 – Dodgers traded RF Kyle Garlick to Phillies for LHP Tyler Gilbert
2/12/2020 – Phillies placed RHP David Robertson on the 60-day IL. Tommy John surgery
2/12/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Tommy Hunter
2/11/2020 – Phillies sent RHP JD Hammer outright to Lehigh Valley
2/05/2020 – Phillies designated RHP JD Hammer for assignment
2/05/2020 – Phillies sent RHP Trevor Kelley outright to Lehigh Valley
2/05/2020 – Phillies claimed RHP Deolis Guerra off waivers from Brewers
2/05/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Anthony Swarzak to an MiLB contract w/invite to ST
2/05/2020 – Phillies signed FA RHP Blake Parker to an MiLB contract w/invite to ST
2/05/2020 – Phillies signed FA 2B Logan Forsythe to an MiLB contract w/invite to ST