The Phillies’ slide continued. They are 4.5 games behind the Braves in the division and 4.5 games behind St. Louis for the second wild card. The real gut punch this week, for me anyway, was when the Red Sox overcame a 7-1 deficit and defeated the Braves 9-8 on Wednesday afternoon. The Phillies failed to take advantage losing 2-1 that night.
The Phillies still have 20 games remaining, 16 against teams in their own division and 4 against the Rockies. Unfortunately, the Phillies have a losing record within their own division, and lost 4 out of 6 to the Marlins and Mets this week.
I keep all sorts of records. I’ve noticed this year that the Phillies haven’t been able to slip many guys through waivers this season. In previous years, they have lost guys in October after the season is over, and guys during the Rule 5 draft, but during the season this year seemed like a new thing. They also made more small trades this season. Maybe these are an indication that our system includes players that other clubs see value in.
- Cameron Perkins, CF, Waiver Claim by Seattle on 12/11/2017
- Carlos Tocci, CF, Rule 5 claim by the White Sox on 12/14/2017
- Freddy Galvis, SS, Traded to San Diego on 12/15/2017
- Tommy Joseph, 1B, Waiver Claim by Texas on 3/19/2018
- Eliezer Alvarez, INF, Traded to Texas on 3/21/2018
- Ricardo Pinto, RHP, Traded to the White Sox on 3/28/2018
- Wilson Garcia, 1B, Traded to Baltimore on 5/1/2018
- Tommy Bergjans, RHP, Traded to Cincinnati on 5/28/2018
- Elniery Garcia, LHP, Traded to St. Louis on 7/5/2018
- Hoby Milner, LHP, Traded to Tampa on 7/14/2018
- Franklyn Kilome, RHP, Traded to the Mets on 7/27/2018
- Jacob Waguespack, RHP, Traded to Toronto on 7/31/2018
- Zac Curtis, RHP, Waiver Claim by Texas on 8/7/2018
- McKenzie Mills, LHP, Traded to Miami on 8/10/2018
- Jake Thompson, RHP, Waiver claim by Milwaukee on 8/14/2018
- Felix Paulino, RHP, Traded to the Whit Sox on 8/22/2018
- Jack Zoellner, 3B, Traded to Baltimore on 8/27/2018
- Mark Leiter, RHP, Waiver claim Toronto on 9/1/2018
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for baseball topics.