The Clearwater Threshers (77-59) beat Fort Myers, 5-2 in ten innings. Bailey Falter (2.69) provided an old fashioned quality start. He allowed two runs in seven innings on 5 hits and a walk. He struck out three and had a 66.3% strike-rate. Treveor Bettencourt (0.53) earned the win with two scoreless innings. Jake (Jakob with 3 Ks) Hernandez (2.80) earned his fifth save by striking out the side in the ninth.
The Threshers collected 12 hits. They tied the game with 2 runs in the sixth inning on Edgar Cabral’s 2-run HR 6). They struck for 3 runs in the tenth on RBI singles by Henri Lartigue (.251), Mickey Moniak, and Cabral.
Cabral (.252) had 3 hits, a HR (6), and 3 RBI. Brian Mims (.318) went 3-4 with a run scored. Jose Gomez (.223) and Moniak had 2 hits each. The Threshers went 6-15 with RISP but struck out 14 times.
The win insures that the Threshers will have the best overall record in the FSL, and pushed Fort Myers to the edge of elimination as they trail first place Charlotte by one game with one to play.
- #1 Sixto Sanchez (4-3, 2.51) – placed on the 7-day DL in June, 2018
- #3 Adonis Medina (10-4, 4.12)
- #6 Mickey Moniak (.270) went 2-5 with an RBI, K
- #12 Daniel Brito (.247) went 1-4 with a run scored, double, K
- #11 Arquimedes Gamboa (.216) went 0-5 with 2 KP
- #17 Jose Gomez (.223) went 2-4 with a run scored, K
- #20 David Parkinson (3-0, 1.24) –
Lehigh Valley (83-55) Drew Anderson (9-4, 3.87) gave up a first inning run then shut down Rochester thru six innings. The IronPigs went on to defeat Rochester, 2-1. Danny Ortiz () provided the offense, a 2-run single in the third inning. Anderson and the bullpen made that margin stand up.
Anderson limited the Red Wings to 3 hits and 2 walks while striking out five. He allowed one hit after the first inning. Tom Windle (4.25), Edgar Garcia (3.86), and Pedro Beato (3.04) held Rochester to three hits thru three, shutout innings. Beato secured his franchise record extending 35th save.
The IronPigs collected 9 hits, all singles, and 6 walks. J.P. Crawford (2.45 went 2-5 with 3 strike outs. Joey Meneses (.315) went 2-4. The ‘Pigs went 2-7 with RISP, and left 9 on base.
- #8 Ranger Suarez (2-0, 2.91) –
- #9 Enyel De Los Santos (10-5, 2.63) –
- #10 Cole Irvin (14-4, 2.57) –
- #15 Roman Quinn accumulated enough days on active roster to lose prospect status
- #16 Dylan Cozens (.246) recalled to Philadelphia
- #21 Drew Anderson (9-4, 3.87) – 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- #28 Tom Eshelman (2-13, 5.83) –
Reading (64-71) lost to Trenton, 3-0. Tyler Viza pitched a complete game but lost to the Trenton Thunder, 3-0. Viza (3-5, 2.75) pitched all eight innings and held the Thunder to one earned run on 5 hits and a walk. He struck out five. Viza allowed three singles through the first six innings. Two of the runners were wiped out by Deivi Grullon, one on a pickoff and one on a stealing attempt. The Thunder finally broke thru with a lead off HR in the seventh inning. They added two runs in the eighth after an error, a walk, and a two-out, 2-run double.
The Phils collected five hits. Jose Pujols (.274) and Jan Hernandez (.265) had 2 hits each. Damek Tomscha (.301) reached twice when HBP. Reading batters struck out 12 times, went 0-9 with RISP, and stranded 9 base runners.
- #4 Adam Haseley (.316) Temporarily Inactive List
- #5 JoJo Romero (7-6, 3.80) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/20/18
- #22 Kyle Dohy (2-4, 6.00) –
- #23 Cornelius Randolph (.244) went 0-4 with a K
- #24 Connor Seabold (1-4, 4.67)
Lakewood (86-50) rallied after blowing a 3-2 lead to beat Delmarva, 8-7 in a walk off. Spencer Howard (3.78) scattered 10 hits (9 singles and a double), walked none, benefited from 2 double play balls, and held the Shorebirds to 3 runs, only 2 of which were earned. Howard also struck out nine batters. Tyler Fallwell (5.85) allowed 4 runs in his one inning of work. Luis Cedeno (5-3, 2.91) earned the win with three, no-hit, scoreless innings.
The BlueClaws took a 3-2 lead with a run in the second inning on Madison Stokes’ sac fly, and 2 runs in the fourth on a ground out and a throwing error. After falling behind 7-3, they fought back with a run in the seventh on Dalton Guthrie’s sac fly (.244); 3 runs in the eight on RBI singles by Nick Maton and Josh Stephen (.247), and Jose Antequera’s (.265) game-tying RBI single; and they walked off with a one-out run in the ninth on Jhailyn Ortiz’ RBI double.
Rodolfo Duran (.260) went 4-5 with 4 runs scored and a double. Ortiz had 2 hits including 2 doubles and an RBI. The BlueClaws struck out just four times, drew three walks, and turned 3 double plays.
- #7 Jhailyn Ortiz (.226) went 2-4 with 2 runs scored, 2 doubles, an RBI, 2 K
- #12 Daniel Brito (.252) promoted to Clearwater, August 3rd.
- #18 Kyle Young (3-3, 2.98) – placed on the 7-day DL on 7/15/18
- #19 Spencer Howard (9-8, 3.78) – 5.0 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 9 K
- #20 David Parkinson (8-1, 1.51) – promoted to Clearwater on 8/2/18
- #30 Nick Maton (.260) went 1-3 with a run scored, 2 RBI, BB, K
Williamsport (32-42) beat State College, 7-3. Ethan Lindow (3-2, 2.19) twirled a six-inning gem. He held the Spikes to 3 hits and an unearned run. He walked none and struck out five. And he threw 60 strikes among his 80 pitches (75%). Austin Ross (3.34) walked two and struck out six in two no-hit innings. Jose Jimenez (3.71) gave up 2 runs in the ninth inning.
The Crosscutters collected eight hits. All the offensive damage was wielded by the 3-4-5-6 hitters. Alec Bohm had 2 hits, 2 doubles, and 2 runs scored. Ben Pelletier (.277) had 2 hits, 2 runs scored, and a walk. Jake Holmes (.253) had 2 hits, 2 runs scored, and 2 RBI. And, Edwin Rodriguez (.250) had 2 hits, a run scored, a double, HR (3), and 5 RBI. The Cutters went 5-7 with RISP, and left just 2 men on base.
- #2 Alec Bohm (.228) went 2-4 with 2 runs scored and 2 doubles.
- #13 Francisco Morales (4-4, 5.36) –
- #26 Kevin Gowdy – 60-day DL
- #29 Jhordany Mezquita (1-0, 3.60) – DNP.
- #29 Colton Eastman (0-2, 3.00) –
The GCL Phillies East finished in first place in the GCL North Division with a 30-24 record. They lost a one-game semifinal on the road against the Palm Beach Cardinals.
- #25 Dominic Pipkin (1-2, 3.64) made 10 appearances, 8 starts. In limited action, he pitched 29.2 innings. In a SSS, he posted a 1.180 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, and 5.5 K/9.
The GCL Phillies West finished in second place in the GCL Northwest Division with a 30-24 (.556) record.
- #14 Luis Garcia finished the season with a league best .369 AVG. His .433 OBP placed third, his .488 SLG placed 13th, and his .921 OPS placed seventh. These were not only team leading but also the best of both Phillies GCL entries. Garcia’s 33 runs scored were fourth in the league following team mate Yerwin Trejo’s 40. He led the league with 62 hits. Placed second with 32 RBI. Trejo’s 23 stolen bases led the league, Garcia had 12.
The DSL Phillies Red finished the season 31-40 (.437) in fifth place in the DSL South Division.
The DSL Phillies White finished the season 39-33 (.542) in fourth place in the DSL San Pedro Division.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
The rosters and lists are up to date as of September 1st.
9/1/18–Philadelphia activated SS Pedro Florimon from the 60-day DL
9/1/18–Philadelphia activated RHP Edubray Ramos from the 10-day DL
9/1/18–Philadelphia designated 3B Jesmuel Valentin for assignment.
9/1/18–Toronto claimed RHP Mark Leiter Jr. off waivers from Philadelphia
9/1/18–Philadelphia recalled RF Dylan Cozens from Lehigh
9/1/18–Philadelphia recalled RHP Yacksel Rios from Lehigh
9/1/18–Philadelphia recalled CF Aaron Altherr from Lehigh
9/1/18–LHP Jeff Singer assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
9/1/18–Clearwater placed 1B Kyle Martin on the 7-day DL
9/1/18–1B Quincy Nieporte assigned to Clearwater from Lakewood
8/29/18–Lehigh Valley placed 2B Trevor Plouffe on the 7-day DL
8/28/18–Philadelphia designated RHP Mark Leiter Jr. for assignment.
8/28/18–Philadelphia optioned C Andrew Knapp to Lehigh Valley
8/28/18–New York Mets traded RF Jose Bautista to Philadelphia for Player To Be Named Later or cash
8/28/18–Lehigh Valley activated RHP Ben Lively from the 7-day DL
8/28/18–Lakewood placed LHP Will Stewart on the 7-day DL. Left shin contusion.
8/28/18–RHP James McArthur assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
8/28/18–Lakewood sent LHP Kyle Young on a rehab assignment to Williamsport