The hot stove season is starting to heat up. Organizations and players are making decisions regarding qualifying offers, options, and free agency. Four Phillies have already opted for free agency – RHP Clay Buchholz, 3B Andres Blanco, LF Daniel Nava, and OF Hyun Soo Kim. Pedro Florimon, who just came off the 60-day DL is the only other potential free agent on the 40-man roster.
Organizational News and Changes
Todd Zolecki reported that the Phillies announced two new front office positions. They hired Sam Fuld as their Major League Player Information Coordinator and Ben Werthan as their Minor League Player Information Coordinator. Here’s the MLBTR announcement by Jeff Todd on the Fuld hiring.
I have been informed by a creditable source that Matt Hockenberry has been signed as a pitching coach, most likely for the Phillies GCL2 team. Another source hinted that the new GCL team may be managed by Tyler Henson.
Since the Phillies announced the hiring of Gabe Kapler as their new manager, a lot of sports reporters have written articles about the guy. Here are some –
- An LA Times article dated May 10, 2017, one of the earliest regarding the discrimination suit filed by former employee, Nick Francona.
- A recent Fanrag article by John Heyman that leans toward negative.
- And an even more recent NBCSports article that is more positive as it takes the Heyman article and the Philadelphia media to task.
I offer these as three very different articles about Kapler. I haven’t formed an opinion yet, although I was impressed by the press conference last week. I will wait to see how he handles himself in his new position rather than let journalists form my opinion for me. Although he would certainly earn points with me if he would haul off an pop Eskin in the nose. He’s still the biggest tool among the Philadelphia sports media.
Winter ball stats are available here, but include only the Arizona Fall League, and the Dominican, Mexican, and Venezuelan winter leagues. The Puerto Rican Winter League has been cancelled. Foreign players reported to the Colombian Winter League on October 27th and they begin League play on November 3rd. Rosters not available. The Nicaraguan Winter League began on Tuesday, October 24th. I see no Phillies’ farm hands on their published rosters. The web site for the Panamian Winter League is a cluster____.
Edgar Cabral is hitting .344 in the AFL. Cornelius Randoph and J.D. Hammer made the AFL West’s All Star roster. Randolph flied out sharply to center in his one at bat, the final out was recorded with him in the on deck circle. Hammer did not pitch but was likely going to be the ninth inning pitcher if the West had been able to retain their late lead. Hammer still has not allowed a run in 7 appearances and has 2 saves.
In the DWL, Cameron Perkins has dropped to .258. Angelo Mora dropped to .265. Eliezer Alvarez is seeing limited action, 13 AB in 6 games. Zac Curtis had one bad inning in 4 appearances and his ERA rose to 3.60 with a 3-2 record in 12 appearances. Franklyn Kilome’s ERA rose to 3.27 and Tom Windle’s jumped to 6.75.
Mitch Walding (.276) has 3 HR in the MWL, Brock Stassi (.258) has two. In the VWL, Daniel Brito is hitting .273.
The Yankees, Twins, Cardinals, and Marlins have released their spring schedules. They join the Tigers, Athletics, Astros, Nationals, Orioles, Rays, Pirates, and Giants as teams that have released them. The Phillies still have not released their spring schedule.
But from looking at all released schedules, here is an incomplete list of the Phillies’ tentative dates:
- Friday, February 23rd at Toronto in Dunedin
- Saturday, February 24th v. Baltimore at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, February 25th v. New York at Spectrum Field
- Monday, February 26th at New York in Tampa (night)
- Thursday, March 1st v. New York at Spectrum Field
- Friday, March 2nd at Tampa in Port Charlotte
- Saturday, March 3rd v. Baltimore at Spectrum Field (split squad)
- Saturday, March 3rd at Pittsburgh in Bradenton (split squad)
- Sunday, March 4th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field
- Thursday, March 8th at New York in Tampa
- Friday, March 9th v. Pittsburgh at Spectrum Field
- Sunday, March 11th at Baltimore (night)
- Monday, March 12th at Atlanta in Orlando (night)
- Wednesday, March 14th at Atlanta in Orlando
- Friday March 16th at Detroit in Lakeland (split squad)
- Friday March 16th v. Toronto at Spectrum Field (split squad)
- Sunday, March 18th at Minnesota in Fort Myers
- Friday, March 23rd at Pittsburgh in Bradenton
- Saturday, March 24th at Detroit in Lakeland
- Sunday, March 25th v.Baltimore at Spectrum Field
- Monday, March 26th at Pittsburgh in Bradenton
Key Dates (dates dependent on the completion of the world series have been amended):
- November 2, 2017, 9:00 AM – Any player with 6 or more years of Major League service whose contract has expired becomes a free agent.
- November 2, 2017, 9:00 AM – Organizations begin an exclusive five-day negotiation window (the “quiet period”) with their own free agents.
- November 2, 2017, 9:00 AM – The free agent and his former Club may engage in negotiations and enter into a contract during “the quiet period”.
- November 6, 2017, 5:00 PM – Deadline for organizations to submit qualifying offers to their free agents. This year’s QO was $17.4M.
- November 6, 2017, 5:00 PM – This is also the deadline for organizations to exercise any club/mutual options.
- November 6, 2017, 5:00 PM – A player whose Minor League Uniform Player Contract expires becomes a Minor League free agent unless the player’s Major or Minor League Club has remaining options to renew the contract.
- November 6, 2017 – Free agents become eligible to sign with any team.
November 6, 2017 – BBWAA Awards Finalists announced (MLB Network)
November 7, 2017 – Rawlings Gold Glove Awards (ESPN, 9 p.m. ET)
November 9, 2017 – Louisville Silver Sluggers (MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET)
November 10, 2017 – Wilson Defensive Players of the Year (MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET)
- November 13-16 – GM meetings in Orlando.
November 13, 2017 – Rookies of the Year announced (MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET)
November 14, 2017 – Managers of the Year announced (MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET)
November 15, 2017 – Cy Young Awards announced (MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET)
- November 16, 2017, 5:00 PM – Deadline for players to accept/reject qualifying offers. Those who decline will become free agents.
- November 16, 2017 – Most Valuable Players announced (MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET)
November 17, 2017 – Esurance MLB Awards (MLB Network)
- November 20th – Deadline for roster expansion to 40 players prior to the Rule 5 draft.
- December 1, 8:00 PM EST – Deadline for teams to tender contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, including arbitration-eligible players. Non-tendered players become free agents. Tendered players who are arbitration eligible who do not accept the tender proceed to the arbitration process in February.
- December 10-14 – Winter Meetings at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Orlando, Florida.
- December 14, 9:00 AM EST – Rule 5 draft.
- January 9, 2018 – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- January 12, 2018 – Salary arbitration figures exchanged
- January 29 – February 16, 2018 – Salary arbitration hearings, Phoenix, Arizona
- February 13, 2018 – earliest date for pitchers/catchers to report to Spring Training
- February 18, 2018 – earliest date for all other players to report for full squad workouts
- February 22, 2018 – Tentative date for the start of Grapefruit League games
- March 29, 2018 – Opening Day for the 2018 season
- March 29, 2018 – Phillies opening game in Atlanta
- April 5, 2018 – Phillies home opener v. Miami
April 15, 2018 – Jackie Robinson Day
April 17-18, 2018 – Twins v. Indians at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, PR
May 13, 2018 – Mother’s Day events, all host ballparks
- June 4-6, 2018 – 2018 MLB Draft
June 17, 2018 – Father’s Day events, all host ballparks
July 13-17, 2018 – All-Star Week
- July 17, 2018 – 89th All Star Game, at Nationals Park
- August 19, 2018 – Phillies v. Mets in the Little League Classic in Williamsport.
- December 10-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
Last Week’s Transactions: (the 40-man roster stands at 37 with 3 players due to come off the 60-day DL – (Zach Eflin, Jerad Eickhoff, Vince Velasquez. Jesen Therrien is expected to miss all of the 2018 season and will likely be added back to the 60-day DL at the start of the 2018 season.)
- 11/2 – RF Hyun Soo Kim elected free agency
- 11/2 – LF Daniel Nava elected free agency
- 11/2 – 3B Andres Blanco elected free agency
- 11/2 – RHP Clay Buchholz elected free agency
- 11/2 – Phillies activated RHP Jesen Therrien from the 60-day disabled list
- 11/2 – Phillies activated CF Pedro Florimon from the 60-day disabled list
- 9/30-10/13 – Ranfi Casimiro re-signed with the Phillies
- 10/13 – Pedro Beato elected free agency
- 10/5 – Kevin Segrist elected free agency
- 10/5 – Ty Kelly elected free agency
- 9/16-29 – Mitch Walding re-signed with the Phillies
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.