Lehigh Valley broke a 1-1 tie in the eighth and held on to win. Pat Venditte got his 6th win.
Reading walked off with a come-from-behind win in the ninth on Kyle Martin’s 11th HR.
Clearwater won on Jake Waguespack’s pitching and HRs by Cornelius Randolph (6), Jan Hernandez (9), and Herlis Rodriguez (7).
Lakewood lost when they gave up 4 runs in the eighth ining of a tie game.
Joely Rodriguez was DFA’d, and the newest Phillie is … Casey Fien.
Lehigh Valley (41-19) beat Scranton, 3-2.
Mark Appel (5.65) held Scranton to 1 run in 6.0 innings on 6 hits and struck out five. However, he also walked five. Pat Venditte (6-0, 1.13) pitched 2.0 innings to earn the win. Pedro Beato (1.91) notched his 18th save.
Cameron Perkins (.296) went 2-4, stole a base (1), led off, and played center field. Brock Stassi had 2 hits, scored a run, played left field, and had an outfield assist (home).
Note: Since June 3rd, whenever Dylan Cozens has reached base, he has been lifted for a pinch runner, and he hasn’t played the field –
- June 3rd – walked as a PH in the 8th, Tom Eshelman came in as PR
- June 4th – struck out as PH in the 9th
- June 5th – 1-5 as DH, singled in the 8th, Hoby Milner came in as PR
- June 6th – rain out
- June 7th, game one – 1-3 as DH, single in the 6th, Jorge Flores came in as PR
- June 7th, game two – 1-3 as DH, HR in the 4th, finished 7-inning game
- June 8th – 1-3 as DH, singled in the 8th, Michael Mariot came in as PR
Dylan Cozens last played the field on June 2nd. He went 0-2 (K in the first, reached on E3F in the 4th), played the field in the bottom of the fourth inning, and was replaced in the bottom of the fifth inning by Hector Gomez in the batting order and in LF by Taylor Featherston. Does anybody know what happened, if anything, to Cozens in the June 2nd game?
- #1 Crawford (.193): 0-4 with an RBI (21)
- #3 Alfaro (.258): 0-4 with a K
- #4 Williams (.284): 1-4 with an RBI (38), 2 K
- #6 Quinn (.274): Diagnosed with a UCL injury in his left elbow.
- #9 Cozens (.239): 1-3 with a BB, K
- #12 Pivetta (5-0, 1.41): promoted to Phillies
- #13 Hoskins (.306): 1-4 with a run scored, K
- #16 Pinto (3-3, 5.36): DNP
- #19 Appel (4-2, 6.14): DNP
- #24 Lively (6-1, 2.40): promoted to the Phillies
- #29 Valentin (.229): 7-day DL
Reading (31-25) rallied to beat Bowie on Kyle Martin’s walk off, 2-run HR (11), 4-3.
Miguel Nunez (2.86) started and pitched 4.1 innings. He gave up 2 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks. Alexis Rivero (2.87) allowed 1 of 2 inherited runners to score. in 1.2 innings. Victor Arano (2.08) gave up a run in 2.0 innings. And Austin Davis (1-0, 0.64) struck out 2 in 1.0 inning to earn his first AA victory.
Besides Martin, Angelo Mora (.289) was an offensive star with 2 hits, an RBI (26), and SB (3). The rest of the team shared 3 hits including Mitch Walding’s double. Zach Coppola recorded an outfield assist (third base).
- #11 Kingery (.309): 1-4 with a run scored
- #17: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #21 Anderson (4-2, 4.25): DNP
- #22: Arano (2.08): 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, WP
- #23 Tocci (.285): 0-3
- #27 Canelo (.253): 0-2 with an RBI (15)
- Pullin (.306): 0-4 with a run scored, K
Clearwater (34-26) held on to beat Jupiter, 7-4.
Jake Waguespack (3-2, 2.55) pitched 5.0, shutout innings and held Jupiter to 2 hits and a walk. Luke Leftwich (4.24) gave back half the 6-run lead on 2 HR in 2.0 innings while striking out three. Jeff Singer (1.67) picked up his 12th save with 2.0 innings of one-run ball and struck out three.
Cornelius Randolph put the Threshers on the board first with a 2-run HR (6) in the first inning. Jan Hernandez added a solo HR (9) in the fourth. They tacked on 2 runs in the sixth on Emmanuel Marrero’s 2-run double, and 1 run in the seventh on Randolph’s RBI single. After Jupiter closed within 6-4, Herlis Rodriguez hit a solo HR (7) in the ninth.
Randolph had 2 hits and 3 RBI. Grenny Cumana (.298) and Cord Sandberg (.364) also had 2 hits each.
- # 5 Kilome (3-2, 2.70): DNP
- #10 Randolph (.232): 2-3 with a run scored, HR (6), 3 RBI (28), BB
- #26 Ed. Garcia (1-1, 4.20): DNP
- #28 Pujols (.179): DNP
- #30 Seranthony Dominguez (3-0, 2.02): rehabbing a shoulder injury in XST
Lakewood (33-27) lost to Kannapolis, 5-1.
Bailey Falter (3.50) pitched 5.1 innings of shutout ball before being lifted in the sixth inning after a ground out and a walk (also 98 pitches). Felix Paulino (1-6, 6.48) relieved and gave up 5 runs in the remaining 3.2 innings. on 7 hits and a walk. He didn’t actually record an out when he entered the game in the sixth inning. The inherited runner was thrown out trying to steal second by Edgar Cabral and the only batter he faced in the inning singled and was thrown out trying to stretch it to a double by Enmanuel Garcia.
The BlueClaws managed 5 base hits and 5 walks. They scored on Luke Williams’ (.199) game-tying, HR (1) in the seventh inning. Edgar Cabral (.237) and Henri Lartigue (.255) each doubled.
- #2 Moniak (.267): 0-2 with a BB, HBP
- #7 Sanchez (1-2, 3.70): rehabbing an unidentified injury in XST
- #15 Medina (1-5, 3.54): 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
- #18 Brito (.236): 1-3 with a BB
- #25 Romero (4-1, 2.04): DNP
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #14 Stobbe
- #20 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves):
- 6/8 – Phillies designated LHP Joely Rodriguez for assignment
- 6/8 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP Casey Fien from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/7 – LF Jiandido Tromp assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/7 – 1B Brock Stassi assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/6 – RHP Ranfi Casimiro assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 6/6 – RHP Tyler Frohwirth assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers
- 6/6 – LF Enmanuel Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 6/5 – Phillies optioned 1B Brock Stassi to Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/5 – Phillies recalled RHP Nick Pivetta from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/5 – RHP Jose Taveras assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers.
- 6/5 – LF Cord Sandberg assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 6/4 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed RHP Zach Eflin on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to June 3, 2017