Lehigh Valley swept their double header with some good pitching and home runs by Hoskins, Cozens, and Williams.
Reading split their double header, winning the second game behind a solid effort by Mario Sanchez.
Clearwater was not scheduled, but remains a half game in front of Daytona with 11 games to play. In an odd scheduling quirk, the Threshers and Tortugas will not have faced each other at all in the first half. Would have liked to have seen Nick Senzel.
Lakewood’s bats came alive late to seal their victory .
Roman Quinn has sustained the season-inhibiting injury that all were afraid might happen. He was diagnosed with a UCL injury in his left elbow. After getting a second opinion, we can anticipate his addition to the DL for the 6th time since his 2013 season.
Joely Rodriguez was reported to be DFA’d late last night. A corresponding move can be expected tomorrow. Pat Venditte? Hoby Milner? Pedro Beato?
Lehigh Valley (39-19) swept Buffalo, 2-1 and 6-3.
Game One: Cesar Ramos (1.82) pitched 3.1 innings and was lifted after retiring the first batter in the fourth inning. Michael Mariot (3.86) swooped in to grab the victory with 2.2 innings of no-hit work. Pedro Beato picked up his 17th save. They held the Bisons to 4 hits but combined to walk 5 batters.
The IronPigs only managed 4 hits of their own, but scored 2 runs in the first on 3 singles. Their first run scored on a fielding error. The go ahead and eventual run came home on Rhys Hoskins RBI single. They only got 3 walks and a single after the first inning. The losing pitcher was Brett Oberholtzer who pitched a complete game.
Cameron Perkins (.298) went 1-2 with a run scored and a walk.
- #3 Alfaro (.264): 0-2 with a walk, K
- #4 Williams (.284): 0-3
- #9 Cozens (.236): 1-3 with a K
- #13 Hoskins (.302): 1-3 with an RBI (46)
Game Two: Mark Leiter (2.70) pitched into the fifth inning before giving way to Hoby Milner (1-2, 1.88) after a two-out infield single. Milner struck out 5 of the 7 batters he faced in 2.1 innings. He picked off the only base runner he allowed.
Rhys Hoskins (14), Cozens (14), and Williams (12) hit solo HRs. Hoskins drove in another run with a double in the fifth inning. Hector Gomez also had a two-hit game. Cameron Perkins (.291) suffered a golden sombrero, 0-4 with 4 K.
- #1 Crawford (.197): 0-2 with a run scored, BB
- #3 Alfaro (.264): DNP
- #4 Williams (.284): 1-3 with a run scored, HR (12), RBI (37)
- #6 Quinn (.274): Diagnosed with a UCL injury in his left elbow.
- #9 Cozens (.238): 1-3 with a run scored, HR (14), RBI (43)
- #12 Pivetta (5-0, 1.41): promoted to Phillies
- #13 Hoskins (.307): 2-3 with a run scored, double, HR (14), 2 RBI (48)
- #16 Pinto (3-3, 5.36): DNP
- #19 Appel (4-2, 6.14): DNP
- #24 Lively (6-1, 2.40): promoted to the Phillies
- #29 Valentin (.229): 7-day DL
Reading (30-25) split with Bowie, losing 12-5 and winning 4-0.
Game One: The Phils played from behind all game, closing to within 7-5 in the fifth, but that was as close as they got. Tyler Viza (3-4, 6.23) was charged with 7 runs (6 ER) in 3.1 innings. (Viza. Charged. Get it?) He gave up 9 hits and 4 walks. John Richy (6.85), recently bumped from the rotation in favor of Miguel Nunez, celebrated with 5 runs (4ER) on 8 hits in 3.1 innings.
Scott Kingery had 2 hits and an RBI. Angelo Mora and Osmel Aguila each had 3 hits, 2 runs scored, a double, and an RBI. They also each hit a HR – Mora (6), Aguila (3). Zach Coppola went 0-1 with a sacrifice, 2 walks, and an outfield assist (home).
- #11 Kingery (.315): 2-4 with a run scored, RBI (33)
- #23 Tocci (.294): 1-4 with an RBI (21)
- #27 Canelo (.257): 0-3 with a BB, K
- Pullin (.316): 1-4 with a double, RBI (37)
Game Two: Mario Sanchez (3-1, 3.10) pitched 6.0, 3-hit innings. All the more impressive when you consider the Baysox entered the game with a league-leading .289 team batting average. He walked one and struck out three. Hoby Milner pitched a no-hit seventh inning.
The Phils broke through on Mitch Walding’s 2-run HR (11) in the fourth inning. Kyle Martin followed with his 10th HR. Brock Stassi drove home the final run with an RBI single in the fifth inning.
- #11 Kingery (.310): 0-3 with 2 K
- #17: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #21 Anderson (4-2, 4.25): DNP
- #22: Arano (0.00): DNP
- #23 Tocci (.289): 0-3 with a K
- #27 Canelo (.257): DNP
- Pullin (.312): 0-3
Clearwater (33-26) no game scheduled.
- # 5 Kilome (3-2, 2.70):
- #10 Randolph (.225):
- #26 Ed. Garcia (1-1, 4.20):
- #28 Pujols (.179):
- #30 Seranthony Dominguez (3-0, 2.02): rehabbing a shoulder injury in XST
Lakewood (33-26) scored 6 unearned runs in the seventh to rally past Kannapolis, 6-4.
Adonis Medina struck out 9 in 6.0 innings. Unfortunately, he gave up 4 runs (3 ER) on 6 hits and a walk. Casey Brown (1-0, 5.40) earned his first win with one inning of work. Will Hibbs (0.00) notched his 8th save with his 18th consecutive inning (in 32 IP) without giving up a run.
The Blue Claws loaded the bases in the seventh inning on a walk, HBP, and infield single with one out. A reliever came in and got two strike outs. However, a passed ball on the second strike out allowed the ‘Claws first run to score and extended the inning. A wild pitch brought home a second run. A walk re-loaded the bases, and Raul Rivas tied the game with a 2-run single. After another pitching change, Mickey Moniak broke the tie with a 2-run double.
- #2 Moniak (.270): 1-4 with a double, 2 RBI (24)
- #7 Sanchez (1-2, 3.70): rehabbing an unidentified injury in XST
- #15 Medina (1-5, 3.54): 6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 9 K
- #18 Brito (.235): 0-3 with a run scored, BB, K
- #25 Romero (4-1, 2.04): DNP
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #14 Stobbe
- #20 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves):
- 6/6 – RHP Ranfi Casimiro assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 6/6 – RHP Tyler Frohwirth assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers
- 6/6 – LF Enmanuel Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 6/5 – Phillies optioned 1B Brock Stassi to Reading Fightin Phils
- 6/5 – Phillies recalled RHP Nick Pivetta from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 6/5 – RHP Jose Taveras assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers.
- 6/5 – LF Cord Sandberg assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 6/4 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs placed RHP Zach Eflin on the 7-day disabled list retroactive to June 3, 2017