Lehigh Valley won in ten innings on Jorge Alfaro’s RBI single.
Reading won in ten innngs on a Scott Kingery walk off HR.
Clearwater suspended in the third trailing 3-0, but at least Lakeland burned the league’s best pitcher before completion of the game in a double header Saturday..
Lakewood fell behind by two runs in the first inning and could only get one back..
Lehigh Valley (27-14) came back to beat Syracuse, 3-2 in ten innings.
Jake Thompson pitched 5.0 innings and gave up 2 runs (only one earned) on 6 hits and 2 walks. He struck out five. Four relievers shut out the Chiefs the rest of the way with Pat Venditte (4-0, 0.00) getting the win and Pedro Beato (1.77) picking up his 12th save. Casey Fien (0.00) struck out 3 in 2.0 innings. Colton Murrray (3.75) struck out 2 in 1.0 inning.
The IronPigs tied the game with 2 runs in the sixth inning on an RBI ground out by Rhys Hoskins and an RBI single by Nick Williams. The score remained knotted until Hector Gomez (.194) tripled to open the tenth inning. Jorge Alfaro brought him home with a two-out, RBI single.
The IronPigs committed 2 errors. Thompson’s throwing error on a sacrifice contributed to the unearned run he allowed. Roman Quinn and Williams added outfield assists.
- #1 Crawford (.187): 1-4 with a run scored, BB, K
- #3 Alfaro (.293): 2-5 with a run scored, RBI (20)
- #4 Williams (.261): 1-4 with an RBI (14)
- #6 Quinn (.278): 0-3 with a 2 BB, 2 K
- #9 Cozens (.212): 1-5 with a K
- #12 Pivetta (2-0, 0.69): DNP
- #13 Hoskins (.333): 0-4 with an RBI (36), K
- #17 Pinto (3-3, 5.85): DNP
- #20 Appel (2-2, 6.69): DNP
- #25 Lively (5-1, 3.19): DNP
- #30 Valentin (.229): 7-day DL
Reading (23-13) took a 6-2 lead with a 5-run fourth only to see the the game tied over the next two innings. The game remain tied until Scott Kingery opened the tenth with a solo blast (11).
Brandon Leibrandt pitched into the sixth inning. His line was 5.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 3 K. He left with a two-run lead and a runner on first. Yacksel Rios (1.90) immediately allowed the inherited runner to score on a WP followed by a double. Then he blew the save with another RBI hit. Miguel Nunez (1.62) and Jesen Therrien (2-1, 1.18) combined to pitch 3.1 scoreless inning. Therrien got the win.
The Phils scored a run in the third inning to cut an early 2-run deficit in half on Osmel Aguila’s sacrifice fly. Then they played long ball. Kyle Martin tied the game in the 5-run fourth with a lead off HR (7). Kingery followed 2 batters later with a 2-run shot (10)to give the Phils the lead. They picked up a run on a double play. Aguila finished the inning with a solo HR (2). The Phils colleted 2 singles and 4 walks over the next 5 innings, but the score remained the same until Kingery’s heroics (11) in the tenth.
Leibrandt picked two runners off first base. Aguila picked up an outfield assist (home).
- #11 Kingery (.280): 2-6 with 2 runs scored, 2 HR (11), 3 RBI (25)
- #18: El. Garcia: Restricted List, 80-Game suspension
- #22 Anderson (3-0, 4.67): DNP
- #23: Arano: 7-Day DL
- #24 Tocci (.328): 1-3 with 2 BB
- #28 Canelo (.312): 3-5 with 2 runs scored, a double, K
- Pullin (.343): 1-4 with a BB
- Tromp (.259): 0-4 with a BB
Clearwater (22-19) suspended in the top of the third inning with one out, runners on the corners, and 2 runs across. The game will be completed as a nine inning game Saturday at 5:00 PM. The regularly scheduled game will be played afterward as a 7-inning game. The Saturday game was going to be a bullpen game with Edgar Garcia getting the start. With 6.2 innings left in the suspended game, the bullpen looks like it’s in for a long evening. I expect that Harold Arauz (a starter last year and PP’s #13 prospect) might see some extended time tomorrow.
Blake Quinn started and gave up 3 runs on 7 hits and a walk. He struck out three, But, he is responsible for the two runners on base when we continue tomorrow.
The Threshers had managed a walk in their two innings of batting. Herlis Rodriguez was erased on a first-pitch double play off the bat of Deivi Grullon. The silver lining here is that the Tigers’ starting pitcher is probably done for the series. Beau Burrows is leading FSL starting pitchers in most statistical categories. Detroit’s 1st round pick in 2015 and #3 prospect, Burrows has a 1.18 ERA, 8 K and 47 K in 45.2 IP.
Jose Pujols picked up an outfield assist.
- # 5 Kilome (2-2, 3.98): DNP
- #10 Randolph (.186): 0-1
- #27 Ed. Garcia (1-0, 3.45): DNP
- #29 Pujols (.173): 0-1 with a K
Lakewood (22-19) lost to Hagerstown, 4-3.
Adonis Medina gave up 4 runs in the first after the offense handed him a 2-0 lead. When they could only add one more run, Medina took the loss. He pitched 5.2 innings and allowed the 4 earned runs on 3 hits, a walk, and a hit batter. He struck out five. After allowing a two-out HR in the first inning, Medina retired 18 consecutive batters and was relieved after a two-out walk in the sixth. He had thrown 96 pitches at that point.
Tyler Hallead (0.00) entered and pitched 2.1 scoreless innings allowing one hit and striking out one batter.
The BlueClaws score two runs in the first inning. Mickey Moniak and Darrick Hall stroked two-out singles and were chased home on Henri Lartigue’s triple. David Martinelli pulled the ‘Claws within one run with a solo HR (1) in the second inning. The BlueClaws were held to 2 singles and a walk the rest of the way.
- #2 Moniak (.274): 1-4 with a run scored
- #7 Sanchez (1-2, 3.70): DNP
- #16 Medina (1-2, 2.03): DNP
- #19 Brito (.263): 1-4 with a K
- #26 Romero (2-1, 2.11): DNP
Williamsport (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 19th at State College.
- #8 Gowdy
- #15 Stobbe
- #21 Ortiz
GCL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Monday, June 26th v. Yankees West.
DSL Phillies (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
DSL Phillies2 (0-0) – first game on Saturday, June 3rd.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Transactions (and paper moves)
- 5/19 – Phillies recalled Adam Morgan from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/19 – Brandon Leibrandt assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 5/18 – Phillies optioned RHP Nick Pivetta to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/16 – Reading Fightin Phils activated 3B Harold Martinez from the 7-day DL.
- 5/16 – Austin Davis assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers.
- 5/16 – Harold Arauz assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws.
- 5/16 – Brandon Leibrandt assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 5/16 – Tyler Hallead assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 5/16 – Tom Windle assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Reading Fightin Phils.
- 5/15 – Seranthony Dominguez assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers
- 5/15 – Jose Taveras assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5/15 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs released LHP Wander Perez (0-0, 5.63).
- 5/15 – Phillies optioned Ben Lively to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- 5/14 – Phillies recalled Ben Lively from Lehigh Valley IronPigs.