The second week of the season was not as good for the Phillies’ as the first as their record fell to 4-8. They finished the week 1-5 in series against the Mets and Nationals.
The bullpen was responsible for three of the losses. Edubray Ramos and Joely Rodriguez combined to blow a game against the Mets. Ramos and Jeanmar Gomez blew the first game of the Nats’ series. Joaquin Benoit served up a two-out, walk off victory to the Nationals on Sunday.
The rotation will get a boost when Zach Efkin joins the team Tuesday against the Mets. Hopefully, he will add to the good performances we’ve been getting from Hellickson, Eickhoff, and Nola.
Hernandez and Kendrick are clearly the best offensive performers among the starters. Herrera is also performing well.
Galvis, Franco, Joseph, and Rupp are all languishing below .200/.290/.390/.620. Saunders isn’t much better at .225/.262/.325/.587.
Altherr and Nava have shown that they probably deserve more than the two starts they have gotten so far. And maybe its time to have Blanco give Franco a day off.
As a team the Phillies rank in the middle of the pack in hitting in the NL. Their pitchers have the second highest ERA and have given up the most HR. They’re middle of the pack on strike outs, and are close to the leaders in least walks issued. The Philies committed their first three errors of the season this week, but are still tied as one of the best fielding teams.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
Key dates remaining:
- June 12-14th – Amateur Draft
- July 31st – Non-waiver Trade Deadline
- December 10-14th – Winter Meetings in Orlando
- December 14th – Rule 5 Draft
- 4/15 – Wander Perez assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 4/14 – Phillies placed LHP Elniery Garcia on the restricted list.
- 4/14 – CF Mark Laird assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 4/14 – RHP Franklyn Kilome assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Clearwater Threshers
- The organization rosters are almost up to date.