Minor League camp is set to start full bore Sunday. Friday, the pitchers checked in and attended meetings and had their physicals. They did some long toss and running but were dismissed by noon. Saturday, the pitchers worked out while the position players checked-in, attended meetings, and took their physicals. After lunch, the pitchers were dismissed and the position players broke into four groups, one on each of the four fields. The coaches put them through some defensive drills while conducting batting practice.
It was nice greeting the players back to Clearwater. It was even nicer when a couple remembered me. Some random observations –
- Bailey Falter looks a little taller
- Derick Hall is big
- Kyle Young may have grown another inch
- Sixto Sanchez still seems to be a short six footer
- “C” Randolph has shed his contacts and is wearing glasses for the first time ever
- Carlos Tocci looks the same, maybe a little thicker in his arms
- Looks like C Greg Brodzinski is now officially a coach
And breaking news, I think. The Phillies’ 15th round pick from the 2017 draft has apparently signed. Alex Wojciechowski was in camp today and taking part in drills and BP. This means the Phillies have signed their top 22 draft picks from the 2017 amateur draft. Wojo is out of the University of Minnesota-Duluth. In his senior year, he hit .444 with 33 home runs and drove in 101 runs in 55 games. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound, right-handed-hitting first baseman won five player of the year awards in D2. Wojo suffered an elbow injury around draft day and initially went unsigned.
These are Randolph’s first batting practice swings. You can’t see his glasses. He made good contact and cleared the right field fence several times. He looks a little stockier than I remember before he went to Lakewood.
Here’s a couple of Jose Pujols’ swings in his first BP session. I had never seen the power in Clearwater that everybody talks about. His pre-game batting sessions in Williamsport are legendary. Well, today I finally saw Pujols’ power in action. He must have cleared the fence a dozen times. I stopped taking video so I could get a better position to watch the balls fly over the fence. Most went to left center. It was BP and he had a slight tail wind, but I’m looking forward to his presence in the Threshers’ line up this summer.
In the morning, the pitchers split up on three fields while the overflow from the big league camp took fielding, PFPs, and BP on Ashburn Field.
The group lists aren’t available yet. But, the position players were sent to the fields in groups designated from 1 to 4. They didn’t stand still long enough to make this easy, but I persevered and recorded all the players in each group. Keep in mind that that these lists are fluid. The first “cuts” from the major league camp are supposed to happen next week. The groups are as follows (group #, field, # of players, coach with the group, and the coach’s current assignment)-
- Roberts Field (16), looked like the Reading coaches – Joel Fisher, Austin Bossart, Kyle Martin, Wilson Garcia, Angelo Mora, Drew Stankiewicz, Malquin Canelo, Jorge Flores, Harold Martinez, Mitch Walding, Joey Curletta, Aaron Brown, Carlos Tocci, Herlis Rodriguez, Christian Marrero, Osmel Aguila
- Carlton Field (16), Shawn Williams (CLR) – Deivi Grullon, Gregori Rivero, Edgar Cabral, Damek Tomscha, Chandler Hall, Evan Rogers, Emmanuel Marrero, Jan Hernandez, Grenny Cumana, Danny Zardon, Zack Coppola, Jose Pujols, Mark Laird, “C” Randolph, Jiandido Tromp, Cord Sandberg
- Ashburn Field (17), Hector Berrios (WPT) – Brett Barbier, Henri Lartigue, Rodolfo Duran, Dan Garner, Edwin Rodriguez, Luis Espiritu, Daniel Brito, Arquimedes Gamboa, Jose Antequerra, Luke Williams, Darick Hall, Cole Stobbe, Jesus Alastre, Mickey Moniak, Luke Maglich, Carlos Duran, David Martinelli
- Schmidt Field (17), Roly de Armas (GCL) – Lenin Rodriguez, Rafael Marchan, Nerluis Martinez, Juan Aparicio, Caleb Eldridge, Greg Pickett, Luis Encarnacion, Enmannuel Garcia, Jonathan Guzman, Keudy Bocio, Raul Rivas, Malvin Matos, Jhailyn Ortiz, Simon Muzziotti, Josh Stephen, Ben Pelletier, Alex Wojciechowski
Players not listed include Zach Green and Juan Luis who I have seen here over the past few weeks. I would guess they are on some sort of rehab. Another not listed who may be here, but I didn’t see is Derek Campbell who was with Clearwater last season.
LA players from the DSL or unassigned include C Juan Aparicio, C Rafael Marchan, IF Keudy Bocio, IF Jonathan Guzman, and OF Simon Muzziotti.
I would remind you that there will be a lot of movement among the groups as players return from the major league camp. Most of the IronPigs roster is still up there. If you like guessing at the rosters for the four full-season teams that will break camp soon after the Phillies do, consider that last year the Phillies released 28 players by March 31st, and traded one and released 3 more by April 5th.