Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
No new transactional housekeeping moves by the Phillies this week. But, I came across some international free agent signings that occurred earlier this summer that may or may not have been reported here:
- 7/2/16 – Signed free agents LHP Junior Tejada, RHP Jorbin Romero, C Pedro Gonzalez, SS Christian Valerio, SS Jose Tortolero, RHP Yeison Sanchez, RHP Erick Heredia, RHP Aldemar Rivas, RHP Derwuin Marchan, RHP Dalvin Rosario, 2B Nicolas Torres, RHP Rafael Carvajal, RHP Francisco Morales, SS Leandro Medina, SS Brayan Gonzalez, C Luis Rojas, LHP Anderson Parra, 3B Juan Aparicio, LHP Yefferson Mercedes, SS Luiggi Pineda to minor league contracts.
- 7/5/16 – Signed free agent OF Simon Muzziotti to a minor league contract.
- 7/8/16 – Signed free agents OF Maximo De La Rosa, C Juan Mendez, and SS Edgar Made to minor league contracts.
- 7/27/16 – Signed free agent IF Juan Herrera to a minor league contract.
- 8/2/16 – Signed free agent 3B Rony Noboa to a minor league contract.
Plus, some signings that occurred in October:
- 10/3/16 – Signed free agents RHP Jose Perez, C Ronald Torrealba, and RHP Luis Pacheco to minor league contracts.
- 10/4/16 – Signed free agent RHP Scot Hoffman to a minor league contract.
- 10/6/16 – Signed free agent LHP Casey Brown to a minor league contract.
- 10/13/16 Signed free agent OF Luis Matos to a minor league contract.
Since the end of the minor league seasons, a few players have been assigned or activated:
- 10/05/16 DSL Phillies activated 3B Leonardo Colagrossi from the 60-Day DL.
- 10/06/16 – RHP Derwuin Marchan assigned to DSL Phillies2.
- 10/08/16 DSL Phillies activated RHP Gregorix Mateo off the Restricted List.
- 10/25/16 – OF Maximo De La Rosa assigned to DSL Phillies.
- 10/25/16 -LHP Casey Brown assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 10/25/16 – RHP Scot Hoffman assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 10/26/16 – IF Juan Herrera assigned to DSL Phillies2.
Dalier Hinojosa and Colton Murray have accepted their outright assignments and have been added to the Lehigh Valley IronPigs roster.
Zach Eflin, Matt Harrison, Charlie Morton, and Aaron Nola will remain on the 60-Day DL until after the World Series. At that point, they will join the 40-man roster and start a series of additional moves. Free agency, declined options, and non-tenders, will create the needed space on the roster for these four players and the Rule 5 draft eligible players the organization wants to protect.
(Pinned Reminder: One transaction that cannot take place is the release of Matt Harrison. He has a guaranteed contract and cannot be released until he has demonstrated that he has rehabilitated from his injury. So, when contemplating the make up of the Phillies 40-man roster, remember that Harrison will be a member of the 40-man roster at least until the end of spring training when he can be added to the 60-day disabled list, if necessary.)
The Dominican trainers followed through on their threat to withhold their players from MLB showcases. One was cancelled last week when it became apparent that prospects were not going to attend. The trainers showed their solidarity by attending the empty workout. In a statement, the trainers made clear that their protest wasn’t against MLB, but against the proposed international draft.
The New York Mets’ Yoenis Cespedes is expected to exercise his right to opt out of the remaining two years of his existing contract.
The Chicago White Sox’ James Shields is expected to decline his right to opt out of the remaining two years of his existing contract.
The Houston Astros have voided their $5.15MM agreement with 20-year old Cuban pitching prospect Cionel Perez due to a medical matter. Perez remains subject to the international signing limitations given his age and lack of experience in Cuba’s top league.
The Super Two cut-off for this year’s class is 2.131 years.
The Florida Fire Frogs are the newest team in the Florida State League. They will take over the franchise vacated when the Milwaukee Brewers ended their affiliation with the Bradenton Manatees in Viera, FL. The Manatees relocated to Kissimmee and negotiated a new affiliation with the Atlanta Braves. Games will be played at the Houston Astros’ former Spring Training home of Osceola County Stadium.
Phillies’ shortstop Freddy Galvis and center fielder Odubel Herrera were named first time finalists for the NL Gold Gloves at their positions. Galvis led all NL SS with a .987 fielding percentage. He joins the 2015 winner Brandon Crawford and Addison Russell. Herrera is up against Ender Inciarte and Billy Hamilton.
Former Phillies first base prospect Art Charles was signed by the Cincinnati Reds to a minor league contract. Charles earned Baseball America’s independent ball player of the year honors with a .352/.461/.699 slash and 29 home runs in 436 plate appearances. BA’s J.J. Cooper posted a story about Charles’ triple crown season.
Brandon Leibrandt was removed from the AFL Scottsdale Scorpions roster with a back issue. He was replaced with a LHP pitcher from the Yankees’ organization. In an unrelated move, catcher Austin Bossart was added to the roster on October 26th.
Winter league baseball has started.
- The Venezuelan League began games on October 6th (13 Phillies’ org players).
- The Arizona Fall League began on October 11th (7 org players).
- Mexican Pacific League began on Tuesday, October 11th (0 org players).
- The Dominican Winter League began on Thursday, October 20th (11 org players).
- The Puerto Rican League began on October 27th (Jesse Valentin and Yacksel Rios).
- The Nicaraguan Baseball League opened on October 28th (0 org players).
- The Colombian Baseball League opens on November 4th. Josh Tobias, Chace Numata, Grenny Cumana, and Jake Waguespack are on the Toros.
- The Australian Baseball League opens on November 17th (0 org prospects).
- Panama has a winter league, but their web site is impossible to find/navigate.
You can check on the progress of our prospects here. Note that Latin American leagues that aren’t included in the Caribbean Series usually don’t get their players’ results listed. That would be LA leagues other than the Dominican, Venezuelan, Mexican, and Puerto Rican. So, don’t expect to find stats for the kids playing in Nicaragua.
Rhys Hoskins has cooled off after his 5 for 10 start and is now batting .276 in 29 AB. He has 5 BB and 4 K. Brock Stassi dropped from .349 to .283 but has an OBP of .469 with 21 BB in 81 PA. He has an OPS of 1.019. Wilson Garcia has a .318 AVG. His 2 HR have helped give him a SLG to .545. Carlos Tocci has an AVG of .319 in 72 AB, 2 more XBH have lifted his SLG to .403. Jesse Valentin has started 3-8 (.375) in Puerto Rico. Mitch Walding is batting .286/.375/.429. His 15 K in 35 AB give him a .500 BABIP (10 H- 0 HR/35 AB-15 K – 0 HR – 0 SF).
Ten Phillies’ pitchers have an ERA of 0.00.
- In 7 appearances, Elvis Araujo has 7 K in 6.2 IP, but 6 H and 5 BB give him a 1.65 WHIP.
- Gregory Infante has an 0-1 record in 7 appearances, but also has 3 saves in 3 SVO, and 6 K in 7.0 IP (1.29 WHIP with 5 H and 4 BB). The loss came on an unearned run.
- Alberto Tirado has a WHIP of 3.00 with 1 H and 4 BB in 1.2 IP (3 K).
- Jeff Singer has pitched 6.2 IP, 3 K, 1 BB, 0.60 WHIP.
- Alec Asher has 11 IP in 2 starts with 5 H, 1 BB, 4 K, 0.55 WHIP.
- Carlos Indriago has a 1.33 WHIP (3 H, 1 BB) in 3 IP over 4 appearances.
- Ricardo Pinto has 6 K in 4.2 IP in 3 appearances and a 1.50 WHIP (5 H, 2 BB).
- Ulises Joaquin a 1.00 WHIP (2 H, 1 BB) in 2 appearances and 3 K in 3 IP.
- Seranthony Dominguez has a 0.43 WHIP (1 H, 0 BB) in his lone appearance. He has struck out 3 in his 2.1 IP.
- And, Yacksel Rios has 2 appearances (0.2 IP) with a 6.00 WHIP (1 H, 3 BB).
I was impressed with how well Jimmy Rollins performed on the pre/post-game show during the early rounds of the playoffs. I’m even more impressed with Alex Rodriguez, Pete Rose, and Frank Thomas during the World Series. I was even entertained by Pete and Frank in their show, “Hurt and Hustle”.
After the Indians win the World Series (“Oh, no he didn’t!”), I’ll begin a mid-week Prospects Discussion to separate the Phillies’ Open Discussion talk from Prospect talk. I’ll start the Reader Top 30 after the Rule 5 Draft and before Christmas with the intention of concluding the process before pitchers and catchers report in Clearwater. I’m working on Player Pages and hope to be able to upload them in bulk later this year. And, I’m working on an updated banner. It’s way, way tougher than I thought. Gonna take a while and won’t be as nice as the current banner.
- 10/26 – IF Juan Herrera assigned to DSL Phillies2.
- 10/25 – OF Maximo De La Rosa assigned to DSL Phillies.
- 10/25 – RHP Scot Hoffman assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 10/25 – LHP Casey Brown assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 10/15 – 2B Emmanuel Burriss elected free agency.
- 10/13 – Signed free agent OF Luis Matos to a minor league contract.
- 10/13 – RHP Frank Herrmann elected free agency.
- 10/10 – RF Jimmy Paredes elected free agency.
- 10/10 – LHP Patrick Schuster elected free agency.
- 10/8 – DSL Phillies activated RHP Gregorix Mateo.
- 10/7 – Outrighted Frank Herrmann, Dalier Hinojosa, Emmanuel Burriss, Patrick Schuster, Jimmy Paredes, and Colton Murray to Lehigh Valley.
- 10/6 – Phillies signed free agent LHP Casey Brown to a minor league contract.
- 10/5 – DSL Phillies activated 3B Leonardo Colagrossi from the 60-day disabled list.
- Re-signed FA RHP Miguel Nunez
- 10/6 – RHP Derwuin Marchan assigned to DSL Phillies2 (Signed July 2, 2016).
- 10/4 – Signed NDFA RHP Scot Hoffman
- 10/3 – RF Cedric Hunter elected free agency.
- 10/3 – LHP James Russell elected free agency.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent RHP Jose Perez to a minor league contract.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent C Ronald Torrealba to a minor league contract.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent RHP Luis Pacheco to a minor league contract.
- Re-signed Chace Numata
- The organization rosters are up to date.