Over the past weekend, Mike Drago of the Reading Eagle published his yearly prospect survey (The Eagle is a subscription site). Mike requested input from about two dozen industry people who watch or cover a fair amount of games and players among the Phillies’ affiliates. He received 15 responses and used a weighted scoring system to determine a player’s perceived value (first-place votes earning 20 points, second place 19 points, etc.). I was one of the 15 respondents.
We were asked to –
- Rank the top players in the Phillies’ organization from No. 1 to No. 25, based on their present value to the organization and their major league ceiling/potential. (A weighted ballot was used, with first-place votes earning 25 points, second place 24 points, etc.)
- Consider a player’s age and performance relative to each level he has played.
- Not include players who are no longer with the organization, nor players who appear to be in the majors for the long haul or have had significant big league time (example: Altherr, Joseph, Goeddel, Ruf, Eflin, Edubray Ramos).
- Consider players who appear to be in the big leagues for a brief time and who are likely will begin next season in the minor leagues.
The returns begat the following results – prospect rank (with position, current club)
- J.P. Crawford, SS, Lehigh Valley
- Jorge Alfaro, C, Reading
- Nick Williams, OF, Lehigh Valley
- Jake Thompson, P, Philadelphia
- Mickey Moniak, OF, Gulf Coast
- Dylan Cozens, OF, Reading
- Roman Quinn, OF, Reading
- Cornelius Randolph, OF, Lakewood
- Franklyn Kilome, P, Lakewood
- Rhys Hoskins, 1B, Reading
- Scott Kingery, 2B, Reading
- Andrew Knapp, C, Lehigh Valley
- Adonis Medina, P, Williamsport
- Nick Pivetta, P, Lehigh Valley
- Jhailyn Ortiz, OF, Gulf Coast
- Ricardo Pinto, P, Reading
- Elniery Garcia, P, Clearwater
- Ben Lively, P, Lehigh Valley
- Kevin Gowdy, P, Gulf Coast
- Carlos Tocci, OF, Clearwater
- Mark Appel, P, Lehigh Valley
- Sixto Sanchez, P, Gulf Coast
- Jimmy Cordeo, P, Reading
- Cole Stobbe, SS, Gulf Coast
- Jose Pujols, OF, Lakewood
- Alberto Tirado, P, Lakewood
- Alec Asher, P, Lehigh Valley
- Thomas Eshelman, P, Reading
- Drew Anderson, P, Clearwater
- Andrew Pullin, OF, Reading
- Cole Irvin, P, Williamsport
- Arquimedes Gamboa, Williamsport
- JoJo Romero, P, Williamsport
- Malquin Canelo, SS, Clearwater
- Tyler Viza, P, Reading
- “JP Crawford was first on 9 of 15 ballots, and was second on two others. He also received a third, a fourth a fifth and an eighth-place vote.
Crawford is the first place to rank No. 1 in three straight seasons since we’ve been doing the rankings (which is almost 10 years, but I don’t have an exact year that we started).
Mickey Moniak and Jake Thompson each received two first places, Nick Williams and Rhys Hoskins, one apiece.
The bigger riser among the Top Ten was Dylan Cozens, up 18 spots from last season. (However, he was No. 11 in 2014 and No. 15 in 2013).
Biggest drop among Top Ten: Cornelius Randolph, from fourth to eighth.
Jorge Alfaro was fifth in last year’s rankings, although he hadn’t played a game in the orgamization.
Forty-six different players received votes.”
For your enjoyment, here is my response to Mike.
Here is my top 25. I had more trouble this year than last.
- Crawford, J.P.
- Alfaro, Jorge
- Williams, Nick
- Thompson, Jake
- Lively, Ben
- Quinn, Roman
- Pivetta, Nick
- Hoskins, Rhys
- Medina, Adonis
- Knapp, Andrew
- Kilome, Franklyn
- Cozens, Dylan
- Kingery, Scott
- Pinto, Ricardo
- Randolph, Cornelius
- Garcia, Elniery
- Moniak, Mickey
- Ortiz , Jhailyn
- Gowdy, Kevin
- Romero, JoJo
- Irvin , Cole
- Paulino, Felix
- Falter, Bailey
- Sanchez, Sixto
- Fanti, Nick
Here are the results from the 2015 poll.
J.P Crawford received 15 of 16 first place votes. Jake Thompson received the other first place vote. Nick Williams received 11 second place votes. Thirty-four players received votes. The results of the poll were as follows.
- J.P. Crawford SS Reading 317 points
- Jake Thompson P Reading 287
- Nick Williams OF Reading 278
- Cornelius Randolph OF Gulf Coast 253
- Jorge Alfaro C Reading 236
- Roman Quinn OF Reading 225
- Franklyn Kilome P Williamsport 215
- Zach Eflin P Reading 197
- Ricardo Pinto P Clearwater 154
- Carlos Tocci OF Clearwater 145
- Aaron Altherr OF Philadelphia 144
- Andrew Knapp C Reading 138
- Jarad Eickoff P Philadelphia 113
- Scott Kingery 2B Lakewood 104
- Nick Pivetta P Reading 93
- Ben Lively P Reading 63
- Darnell Sweeney OF Philadelphia 59
- Rhys Hoskins 1B Clearwater 36
- Alberto Tirado P Clearwater 34
- Malquin Canelo SS Lakewood 29
Others receiving multiple votes( in order of vote total): Matt Imhof, P, Clearwater; Alec Asher, P, Lehigh Valley; Brandon Leibrandt, P,Clearwater; Dylan Cozens, OF, Clearwater; Jimmy Cordero, P, Reading; Kelly Dugan, OF, Lehigh Valley; Jose Pujols, OF Williamsport; Deivi Grullon, C, Lakewood; Willians Astudillo, C, Clearwater; Jesse Biddle, P, Lehigh Valley.