Clean sweep for the organization’s affiliates last night. The big team won, too!
Lehigh Valley (16-17) Beat Columbus, 2-1, behind another solid performance from Alec Asher (3-0, 0.40). He allowed one run and pitched into the seventh inning. Edubray Ramos stranded 2 inherited runners, and Edward Mujica picked up his 9th save. Taylor Featherston had 3 hits. Nick Williams’ 2-run home run accounted for their scoring.
- Asher – 6.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR.
- Ramos – 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP.
- Mujica – 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K.
- Featherston (.309) went 3-4 with a double.
- Williams (.280) went 1-4 with a HR (3) and 2 RBI.
- Joseph (.347) went 1-4.
- Knapp (.236) went 1-4.
- Joseph (4) and Featherston (8) committed errors.
Reading (23-11) Beat Trenton, 3-0, behind seven innings of 2-hit pitching by Ricardo Pinto (1-1, 3.12). Hoby Milner earned his first save. Dylan Cozens hit his 10th home run.
- Pinto – 7.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K.
- Pinto had a no-hitter through 6.0 innings.
- Milner – 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
- Quinn (.256) went 0-4 with a BB.
- Crawford (.254) went 1-5.
- Alfaro (.418) went 0-4.
- Cozens (.274) went 1-3 with a HR (10), BB, and RBI.
- Hoskins (.238) went 1-4 with a double.
- Cozens (9) stole a base.
- Quinn had an outfield assist.
Clearwater (22-11) beat Dunedin, 5-2. Matt Imhof (4-1, 3.58) allowed 2 runs (one unearned) in 5.0 innings. Mario Hollands pitched 2.0 scoreless rehab innings, striking out four of six batters. Alexis Rivero earned his third save. Cord Sandberg had 2 RBI. Andrew Pullin had 2 hits and an outfield assist at home.
Matt Imhof is an enigma to me. I watched him struggle to throw strikes for five innings, and looked up and he has allowed only one earned run on 3 hits. He walked 4 batters (3 on 4 pitches), yet struck out 3 of the last 4 batters he faced. He got no swinging strikes in the first two innings, but 3 of his 4 strike outs were swinging, two at fastballs if you want to call 85 and 87 mph pitches fastballs. Through his first 3 innings, he had thrown as many balls as strikes (23). He threw only one pitch that reached 90 mph. He entered the game second in the league with 20 walks allowed, and after 4 more tonight he might lead the league. Somehow he has a 4-1 record and only a 3.58 ERA.
- Imhof – 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 84 pitches/45 strikes, FB 87-89, t90 mph.
- He was assessed a ball for a pitch clock violation. Yeah, they do that in the minors.
- Hockenberry – 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K.
Mario Hollands recorded 4 strike outs in his two-inning rehab appearance. All 4 strike outs came swinging at fastballs. His off speed pitches were 82-84 mph but he lacked command. Most ran up-and-away from the batters. He is likely to see one more appearance down here before continuing his rehab in Reading.
- Hollands – 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 28 pitches/16 strikes, FB 90-92 mph.
- Rivero – 1.0, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K.
- The four Threshers’ pitchers combined to strike out 10 Blue Jays.
Kingery returned to the top of the line up, his arm still bandaged where he was struck by a pitched ball Monday night by these same Blue Jays. He reached base 4 times and scored twice. Andrew Pullin played in his second game since returning and reached on base hits his first two at bats. He was retired on a hard hit line drive into the pitchers stomach his third at bat. He also teamed up with Kingery to nail a runner at home plate. Struggling Kyle Martin was moved to the seventh slot in the line up. Pullin batted clean up.
- Kingery (.261) went 2-3 with a double, 2 walks, and an RBI.
- Sandberg (.257) went 1-4 with a triple, 2 RBI, and 3 K.
- Tocci (.248) went 1-4.
- Pullin (.286) went 2-4 with a double.
- Walding (.263) went 1-4 with an RBI (25).
- Martin (.261) went 1-4 with an RBI (25).
- Lino (.186) went 2-4 with a double.
There was some excitement on the base paths during the game, too.
- Imhof got a double play to end the first with runners on the corners, an inning where he threw 5 strikes in 15 pitches.
- With 2 outs and runners on the corners in the fourth, Imhof threw a pickoff attempt over Kyle Martin’s head to allow a run to score and the tying run to reach second.
- In the fifth, Gabriel Lino threw out the Jays speedy Richard Urena on a steal attempt that probably should not have been attempted, Lino blocked a pitch in the dirt and it didn’t roll very far.
- In the third inning, Kyle Martin had moved up on a similar play, but the throw was high and late, and after briefly being called a stolen base, it was ruled a wild pitch.
- In the sixth the Jays’ third base coach tried to score Jason Leblebijian from first on a single to left when Pullin’s throw went to the cutoff man Kingery instead of to third. The ever alert Kingery gunned the runner down at the plate. Silly coach. Leblebijian rebounded from his 0-5 with 5 K Wednesday with 2 hits and a walk Thursday.)
Lakewood (12-20) Beat West Virginia, 6-4. Shane Watson was his own undoing with 3 walks, 3 hit batters, and his own fielding error. Two of the hit batters and the error scored in a one-hit fifth inning before he was relieved. Jacob Waguespack picked up his third win and Luis Morales got his first save. Jan Hernandez hit his third home run. Deivi Grullon had 2 RBI.
- Watson – 4.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 3 HBP.
- Watson also picked a runner off first.
- Waguespack – 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 inherited runner stranded.
- Morales – 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K.
- Marrero (.320) went 2-4 with a double and BB.
- Tobias (.325) went 1-5.
- Pujols (.279) went 1-3 with a double, BB, and RBI (25).
- Grullon (.306) went 1-2 with a double, BB, and 2 RBI.
- Hernandez (.263) went 1-4 with a HR (3) and RBI.
- Hayden (.271) went 2-4.
- 11 BlueClaws struck out (Tromp 3 times).
- Tromp (5), Pujols (3), and Tomscha (2) stole bases.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra Innings –
- Before the game, the broadcasters told me that Cody Asche might start his rehab and be in the Threshers line up this weekend. Games in Tampa on Friday and Saturday, double header in Clearwater on Sunday. They go on the road for four days to St. Lucie after that.
- There was some roster roulette after the Pullin signing.
- 05/11 – Samuel Hiciano sent to Extended Spring Training from Clearwater Threshers.
- 05/11 – Andrew Pullin added to Clearwater Threshers from XST.
- 05/12 – Jose Antequera sent to Extended Spring Training from Clearwater Threshers.
- 05/12 – Samuel Hiciano added to Clearwater Threshers from XST.
- And in Lakewood …
- 5/12 – Lakewood BlueClaws released RHP Mitch Gueller.
- 5/12 – Lakewood BlueClaws released RHP Anthony Sequeira.
- 5/12 – Edgar Garcia assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from GCL Phillies.
- 5/12 – RHP Sutter McLoughlin assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport Crosscutters.
- The Rosters are up to date here.