Looks like we made it. Pitchers and catchers have their first official workout this Thursday. A lot of players, mostly pitchers, have been here since January. J.P. Crawford arrives Monday. The Phillies will have 65 roster and non-roster players in town for spring training. A lot of minor leaguers are here, too.
If the Phillies follow the same pattern of practices as in previous seasons, the pitchers will throw out of sight on the Seven Mounds behind the minor league club house and perform PFPs on the fields where visitors can see them. Hopefully, the batting sessions by the early reporting position players will be open to the public in Bright House Field as in past years.
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- 2/3 – signed free agent OF Jose Estrada to a minor league contract.
- 2/3 – signed free agent LHP Anthony Vasquez to a minor league contract.
- 2/4 – signed free agent 2B Tyler Henson to a minor league contract.
- 2/10 – designated Bobby LaFromboise for assignment.
- 2/10 – traded future considerations to the Los Angeles Angels for traded 3B Taylor Featherston
- 2/12 – sent Bobby LaFromboise outright to Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
- And back on 10/16, Nathan Thornhill retired. The RHP out of the University of Texas was a 13th round pick in 2014. He made 1 appearance each for the GCL Phillies and Williamsport. He didn’t pitch at all in 2015, looks like he was on the DL most of the season.