Pitchers and catchers are just around the corner. First official workout on the 18th. Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- 1/25 – Signed free agent LHPs Jeremy Bleich and Edgar Ibarra to minor league contracts.
- 2/3 – Traded LHP Jesse Biddle to the Pittsburgh Pirates for RHP Yoervis Medina.
- 2/3 – LHP Evan Crower assigned to the GCL Phillies.
- 2/3 – LHPs Jeremy Bleich and Edgar Ibarra assigned to Lehigh Valley.
- Medina and David Lough were both invited to spring training as NRIs bringing the total player count to 64.
Only one small rant this week. MLB’s Hot Stove had too much super bowl coverage. Oh, and how many days are they going to over-analyze the Juan Segura trade. Eventually, I bailed out on the network. I’ll try again next week.
Here are a couple pictures of the pitchers area at the Carpenter Complex. This space is off limits during spring training. I have always wanted to see it, so I jumped a fence and out ran an elderly guard. Yes elderly, older than I.
The building in the background is the Phillies state-of-the-art weight training facility and indoor batting cages. The Seven Mounds stretch across the face of the building. When the Complex is in full baseball use, benches are placed along the wall for the coaches.
If you’re going to have an area named the Seven Mounds, you’re going to need seven plates. The ball field in the background is Roberts Field.