Pitchers and catchers are just around the corner. First official workout on the 18th. Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
The DH poll drew 350 votes. As I had expected for a site that covers the prospects of a National League team, the vast majority (79%) were in favor of not introducing the DH to the National League, 277 nay v. 73 aye.
- 1/21 – The Phillies signed FA LHP Evan Crower on first day of workouts for the California Winter League (link) as reported by Mike DiBucci. The CWL is the Official Winter League of the Frontier League. The Frontier League is an Independent League. Some of the Phillies’ released minor leaguers end up in the Frontier League. (One of the 14 teams doesn’t even have a home field.) Crower wowed scouts with a mid-90s FB. He was the back up QB at Stanford before graduating in 2015.
- 1/25 – MLBTR reported that the Phils inked FA OF David Lough (link).
- 1/27 – MLB Italia reported that the Phillies signed 19-year old, Italian, C/3B Leonardo Colagrossi (link). He has played for Italy in the Under-18 and Under-20 World Championships. The Phillies had him on their radar for over a year and he declined an earlier attempt to sign him to a contract. He plays for Academy of Tirrenia, which is their equivalent of a college. (Translation may not be 100% accurate.)
- 1/28 – The Phillies hired 30-year old, Google analyst Andy Galdi as the Director, Baseball Research and Development (link).
- 1/29 – Matt Gelb reports that Jesse Biddle was DFA’d after the Phillies claimed 29-year old, LHP Bobby LaFromboise off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates (link).
- 1/29 – Seven Phillies’ prospects were selected among the MLB Top 100 prospects (link). J.P. Crawford was the highest ranked at #5. None of the other 6 were among the top 50. Division rival Atlanta had 5 among the top 100, Washington had 4, New York had 4 and Miami had none. Other notables – Minnesota, Colorado, and the Cubs had 6 each. The Dodgers, Milwaukee, Texas, Pittsburgh, Houston, and Cincinnati had 5 each, Boston had 4, the Yankees had 3, Kansas City and St. Louis had 2, and the Angels had none.
In case you missed it Jonathan Pettibone was signed to a minor league contract by the Chicago Cubs with an invitation to Spring Training.
And, finally several national analysts have surmised that the Phillies are tanking. Dave Cameron of FanGraphs, of all people, defended the Phillies stating that they are not tanking but actually starting their rebuild too late (link).