With the big club historically putrid, lets look at several moves to make to help move the proverbial ball forward, primarily to help gauge what we may have in the future with several “test” projects that we wouldn’t typically allow for in July.
1. SP Aaron Nola to Philadelphia–Nola is a guy that will gain nothing more from a half dozen minor league starts. He is a polished pitcher with less than overpowering stuff that will be a very good major league pitcher, hopefully for the next decade. With the absolute pounding the bullpen is taking, there is no reason not to add stability into a rotation that has been anything but.
2. RP Nefi Ogando to Philadelphia–Ogando is on the 40 man and performed well this year at Reading and in his first half dozen AAA appearances. Put simply, what is the downside? Send Hector Neris down and move Ogando up.
3. RP Adam Loewen to Philadelphia–If not now, then in September. Loewen signed a two year minor league contract last season and had a good year last year and has been borderline incredible over the last 6 weeks in Lehigh Valley, as a dominating lefty out of the bullpen. This prevents another Jason Grilli/RyanVogelsong/Brandon Moss situation by simply giving him a shot in the majors.
4. OF Aaron Altherr to Philadelphia–He is having an outstanding year, improving in all aspects of his game. Likely not a long term answer as a starting OF, but also likely better than the AAAA guys thrown out there day after day.
5. OF Kelly Dugan to Lehigh Valley–Dugan has proven he can hit AA pitching, He needs to show he can stay on the field and hit with some power.
6. RP Joe Denato and Matt Hockenberry from Lakewood to Clearwater-Clearwater can use some help in the bullpen and both of these guys are beyond ready. Both were established college pitchers who, when healthy, have dominated the competition at this level. Challenge them.
7. RP Tyler Gilbert and Anthony Sequeira from Williamsport to Lakewood–Both 2015 draft picks and both have been lights out in the early going. With too many pitchers and not enough work, allow Gilbert and Sequeira to backfill for Denato and Hockenberry in the Lakewood ‘pen.