Recap: Lakewood went 3-3 on the week, leaving their record at 18-11 for the second half, still 1.5 games ahead of Hickory in the SAL North. The week featured an 18-inning marathon the ‘Claws won on Saturday behind excellent starting pitching from Jonathan Pettibone and very strong relief work from a quartet of hurlers. The outcome left Lakewood at 11-4 in extra innings this year. In personnel moves, Adam Buschini (finger) and Leandro Castro (oblique) were placed on the DL this week. Also, some conflicting reports on Jarred Cosart–per the Asbury Park Press, Steve Noworyta stated it’s possible Cosart is done for the year and won’t pitch again until Instructional League, however in a scout.com article, Gorman Heimueller says he’ll start throwing around August 1st and the headline leads one to believe he could be back before season’s end.
- Jeremy Barnes: 5-23, 2B, 3 RBI, SB, E
- Michael Dabbs: 8-23, 3B, 4 RBI, 4 SB / 2 CS
- Anthony Hewitt: 6-26, 2B, 2 RBI, 9 K / 0 BB
- Jiwan James: 7-29 (includes 0-9 on Saturday), 2B, 2 RBI, 9 K / 2 BB, SB
- Alan Schoenberger: 6-20, 2B, 4 RBI, SB
- Jonathan Singleton: 5-25, HR, 2 RBI, 3 K / 3 BB, SB
- Sebastian Valle: 3-19, RBI, 6 K / 0 BB
- Jonathan Villar: 4-23, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 10 K / 3 BB, 4 SB / CS, 3 E
Notes: Singleton’s at .225/.382/.338 for July…Schoenberger is hitting .407 with RISP…OF Michael Dabbs joined the ‘Claws after putting up a .298/.330/.405 line at Williamsport. He’s a 23-year old, lefthanded hitter who was a 17th round pick in last year’s draft…BlueClaws among the Top 5 league leaders: James (2nd in AB, 4th in CS), Villar (4th in SB, 4th in CS), Castro (5th in 3B), Hewitt (1st in K), Singleton (2nd in OBP, SLG, and OPS).
- Brody Colvin: 5 IP, 8 H, 0 ER, 2 K / 1 BB
- Ebelin Lugo: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 K / 0 BB
- Trevor May: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 6 K / 2 BB
- Jonathan Pettibone: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 K / 0 BB
- Colby Shreve: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 K / 1 BB
- Luke Wertz: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 K / 0 BB
- Josh Zeid: 6.1 IP, 10 H, 3 ER, 8 K / 0 BB
Notes: Shreve and Colvin are being limited to 5 innings per start…Colvin has not allowed an earned run in his last three starts (15 IP), but has allowed nine unearned runs in that span…Julio Rodriguez was promoted back from Williamsport…not sure where Nick Hernandez‘ rehab stands, but he didn’t make a start this week…in the eighteen inning game, relievers Mike Bolsenbroek, Luke Wertz, Kyle Carr, and Joe Esposito shut out Delmarva over the last nine innings, allowing only four hits.