The Phillies picked up another series win and are leading the National League East Division by a half game with a 6-2 record. They have an important 3-game series with the Nationals before going on the road for a 3-game set in Miami. Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of April 8, 2019
The Phillies began their 2019 season with an opening day win on Thursday. They followed that with a second-game win on Saturday. As I type this, they are tied with the Braves on Sunday Night Baseball. So far, the Phillies have run out the same 8 players, in the same defensive positions, and in the same slots in the batting order all three games. Bet that hardly happened last year. Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of April 1, 2019
The Phillies made enough roster moves to make their opening day roster apparent. It looks like the Phillies will go to war with a pitching staff that includes – Aaron Nola, Nick Pivetta, Jake Arrieta, Zach Eflin, Vince Velasquez as starters and Jose Alvarez, Seranthony Dominguez, Adam Morgan, Hector Neris, Pat Neshek, Juan Nicasio, Edubray Ramos, David Robertson in the bullpen; J.T. Realmuto and Andrew Knapp as catchers; Rhys Hoskins, Cesar Hernandez, Jean Segura, Maikel Franco, Scott Kingery as the infielders; and Andrew McCutchen, Odubel Herrera, Bryce Harper, Aaron Altherr, Nick Williams as the outfielders.
Thirty players are still on the ST roster. Tommy Hunter and Roman Quinn will likely start the season on the IL. Rob Brantly and Sean Rodriguez are probably headed to Lehigh Valley. And, I can’t guess what their plans are for Josh Martin.
By Tuesday there could be as many as 195 players in minor league camp – 109 pitchers, 20 catchers, 41 infielders, and 25 outfielders. It’s also possible that a few players have already been sent to the Dominican Academy for XST there.
The 40-man roster stands at 40, the entire organization stands at 349.
Major League Baseball announced several changes to the Arizona Fall League. The two that are of the most interest involving prospects are –
- The schedule has been moved forward to more closely match the instructional league schedules. The 2019 AFL regular season will open on September 17th and end on October 26th. The Fall Stars Game will be played on October 12th and the Championship Game will be held on October 27th. (The 2018 season started on October 9th and ended on November 15th. In their press release, MLB expressed the intention “to avoid downtime at the end of their seasons and instead transition directly into the Arizona Fall League schedule.”)
- There are no longer any restrictions regarding roster construction. Any player under contract with a Major League organization will be eligible for nomination to the Arizona Fall League.
- The other change had to do with the AFL front office.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for Phillies and other baseball topics that are not about some mythical Trout trade or his far off free agency.
- March 28, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 season home opener v. Atlanta (3:05)
- September 17, 2019 – beginning of the Arizona Fall League
- October 12, 2019 – Arizona Fall Stars Game
- October 27, 2019 – Arizona Fall League Championship Game
The rosters and lists are up to date. (meh)
- organization’s rosters
- organization’s injury list
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list (includes player info, assignments, …)
The Phillies made their a few more roster moves during the week. They optioned RHP Enyel De Los Santos and Edgar Garcia, LHP Ranger Suarez and Austin Davis, and 3B Mitch Walding to Lehigh Valley; reassigned LHP Cole Irvin and Tyler Gilbert minor league camp; and released 2B Emmanuel Marrero, 1B Quincy Nieporte, RHP Victor Sobil, 3B Jesus Henriquez, and 1B Edwin Rodriguez.
The Phillies made their first spring roster moves over the weekend. Infielder Arquimedes Gamboa and RHP Adonis Media have been optioned to Reading. Infielder Malquin Canelo, catcher Deivy Grullon, 1B/OF Austin Listi, outfielder Mickey Moniak, and LHP JoJo Romero have been reassigned to minor league camp. Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of March 11, 2019
The first full squad workout for the minor league affiliates will be held this week. Daily reports will begin in separate articles. Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of March 4, 2019
The first full squad workout for the minor league affiliates will be held this week. Daily reports will reported in separate articles. Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of February 25, 2019
The first full squad workout was held Monday. Daily reports are reported in separate articles. Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of February 18, 2019
The first official workout for pitchers and catchers is this Wednesday (February 13th). The first full workout is the following Monday (February 18th). Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of February 11, 2019
Nine days until pitchers and catchers take to the fields at the Carpenter Complex February 13th). Fourteen days until the first full workout (February 18th). Continue reading Open Discussion: Week of February 4, 2019