The Phillies missed a couple opportunities this past week. They won a series against Miami to start the road trip. After taking the first two games of a three-game series, they came out flat and missed an opportunity to leave Miami with a sweep. Then they missed a chance to start the Atlanta series off with a win and send a message but blew a solid start by Suarez when they couldn’t hold onto a late lead. After Nola was Nola in game two, the “getaway day” Phillies couldn’t hit or pitch out of the bullpen, yet again.
The Phillies return home for their final homestand of the season. They play 2 games against Toronto and then 4 games against Atlanta. They need to play better than they did on the road trip, especially the big bats and the bullpen.
The Phillies close out their season with a 10-game road trip with 3 games in Chicago, 4 games in Washington, and 3 games in Houston. If you think they need 90 wins to make the playoffs, they need to find 10 wins in the next 16 games.
The Phillies are 14 games over .500 with an 80-66 record. The NL East Division standings have long been decided. The Phillies will finish in third place (barring a miracle).
The East Division race has developed into a real race between the Mets and Atlanta. St. Louis has opened up a sizable lead on Milwaukee. Los Angeles has clinched the West. The seeding for the division winners is likely to be – West, East, Central. However, New York and Atlanta could beat up on each other and allow the Cardinals to sneak into the second seed.
The National League Wild Card race is still a four-team race. Atlanta is safely well in front for the first wild card if they don’t catch the Mets. The Phillies are in third, 0.5 games behind San Diego but hold the tiebreaker. They are 2.0 games ahead of Milwaukee and again hold the tiebreaker.
By merit of the first tie-breaker (head-to-head), the Phillies fare well against most of the probable playoff teams –
- Los Angeles (4-3),
- New York (5-14),
- St. Louis (4-3),
- Atlanta (6-9) with 4 to play,
- San Diego (4-3),
- Milwaukee (4-2).
The Phillies’ division record is 36-32. Their record against the other NL divisions is 37-26. Their interleague record, which doesn’t matter in tie-breakers, is 7-8.
For those wondering about the schedule difficulty of the other wild card teams –
Milwaukee (78-68): 12 at home 4 on the road, 10-game homestand to close out the season.
- 3 v. NYM at home,
- 4 at CIN,
- 2 v. STL at home,
- 4 v. MIA at home, and
- 3 v. ARI at home.
San Diego (81-66): 12 at home 3on the road, 9-game homestand to close out the season.
- 3 v. STL at home,
- 3 at COL,
- 3 v. LAD at home,
- 3 v. CWS at home,
- 3 v. SF at home.
Key Dates: some are guesstimates. Bold dates are pretty much confirmed thru announcements, some digging, and some extrapolation from previous years. Italics are those dates that can’t yet be confirmed.
It has been a long time since we cared about playoff dates.
- October 3, 2022: Opening Day for the Arizona Fall League
- November 5, 2022: AFL Home Run Derby
- November 6, 2022: AFL Fall Stars Game
- November 11, 2022: AFL Play-in Semifinal
- November 12, 2022: AFL Championship Game
- October 5, 2022: Final scheduled day of the MLB regular season
- October 11, 2022: Opening Day for the Mexican Pacific League
- October 15, 2022: Opening Day for Dominican Winter League
- October 22, 2022: Opening Day for the Venezuelan Winter League
- October 28, 2022: MLB World Series begins (FOX)
- October 7-9, 2022: NL Wild Card A/B (ESPN)
- October 11-16, 2022: NLDS A/B (Fox or FS1)
- October 18-25, 2022: NLCS (Fox or FS1)
- November 2-6, 2022: Trading resumes the day after the World Series ends.
- November 6-10, 2022: Five days after the conclusion of the World Series is the deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents.
- November 12, 2022: Start of the Colombian Winter League
- November 4, 2022: Opening Day for the Roberto Clemente Puerto Rico Professional Baseball League
- November 10, 2022: Opening Day for the Australian Baseball League
- November 16-20, 2022: Fifteen days after the conclusion of the World Series is the deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers.
- November 18 or 21, 2022: Deadline to submit 40-man rosters before Rule 5 Draft
- November, 2022: GM Meetings
- November, 2022: Owners Meetings
- November, 2022: MLBPA executive board meeting
- December 1, 2022 – Non-tender Deadline – The last day for teams to offer 2023 contracts to unsigned players (pre-arb and arb eligible) on their 40-man rosters. Non-tendered players become free agents.
- December 4-11, 2022: The 2022 Baseball Winter Meetings will take place in San Diego, California.
- December 9, 2022: Rule 5 Draft
- December 9, 2022: Opening Day for the Panamanian Baseball League
- December 15, 2022: Close of the 2021-2022 international signing period
- January 15, 2023: Opening of the 2022-2023 international signing period
- January, 2023: Deadline for teams and players to submit salary figures for arbitration
- February 2-10, 2023: Caribbean Series (Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Panama, Cuba, Curacao)
- February, 2023: Voluntary spring training reporting date for pitchers, catchers, and players recovering from injuries
- February, 2023: Voluntary spring training reporting date for position players
- February, 2023: Mandatory spring training reporting date
- February 24, 2023: Opening Day for Spring Training Games
- February 25, 2023: (SS) v. New York Yankees (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- February 25, 2023: (SS) at Detroit (Lakeland), 1:05 PM
- February 26, 2023: v. Minnesota Twins (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- February 27, 2023: at Pittsburgh Pirates (Bradenton) Time TBD
- February 28, 2023: v. Toronto Blue Jays (SS) (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 1, 2023: at Minnesota Twins (Fort Myers) Time TBD
- March 2, 2023: at Boston Red Sox (Fort Myers) Time TBD
- March 3, 2023: v. Detroit Tigers (SS) (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 4, 2023: v. Pittsburgh Pirates (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 5, 2023: at Toronto Blue Jays (Dunedin) Time TBA
- March 6, 2023: at Baltimore Orioles (Sarasota) Time TBA
- March 7, 2023: v. Tampa Bay Rays (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 8, 2023: OFF DAY
- March 9, 2023: v. Baltimore Orioles (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 10, 2023: v. Pittsburgh Pirates (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 11, 2023: at New York Yankees (SS) (Tampa) Time TBD
- March 12, 2023: v. Toronto Blue Jays (Clearwater) (SS) 1:05 PM
- March 13, 2023: OFF DAY
- March 14, 2023: v. Atlanta Braves (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 15, 2023: at New York Yankees (Tampa) Time TBA
- March 16, 2023: at Detroit Tigers (Lakeland), 6:05 PM
- March 17, 2023:(SS) v. Toronto Blue Jays (SS) (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 17, 2023: (SS) at Toronto Blue Jays (SS) (Dunedin) Time TBA
- March 18, 2023: at Atlanta Braves (North Port) Time TBA
- March 19, 2023: v. Boston Red Sox (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 20, 2023: v. Baltimore Orioles (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 21, 2023: at Pittsburgh Pirates (Bradenton) Time TBA
- March 22, 2023: at Tampa Bay Rays (Port Charlotte) Time TBA
- March 23, 2023: v. Detroit Tigers (SS) (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 24, 2023: at Toronto Blue Jays (Dunedin) Time TBA
- March 25, 2023: v. New York Yankees (Clearwater) 1:05 PM
- March 26, 2023: at Baltimore Orioles (Sarasota) Time TBA
- March 27, 2023: at Toronto Blue Jays (Dunedin) Time TBA
- March 28, 2023: v. Toronto Blue Jays (Clearwater) 12:05 PM
- March 30, 2023: Season Opener at Texas Rangers
- April 6, 2023: Home Opener v. Cincinnati Reds
- July 2023: Rule 4 Amateur Draft
- December 15, 2023: Close of the 2022-2023 international signing period
This gives you a place to talk about the Phillies for the week.
Here are the transactions that were reported (or uncovered) this week.
9/16/2022 – Phillies placed 2B Edmundo Sosa on the 10-day IL, right hamstring strain
9/16/2022 – Phillies recalled 3B Yairo Munoz from Lehigh Valley
9/14/2022 – Phillies placed LHP Kent Emanuel on the 60-day IL
9/14/2022 – Phillies recalled LHP Kent Emanuel from Lehigh Valley
9/14/2022 – Phillies claimed RHP Tayler Scott off waivers from San Diego
9/14/2022 – RHP Tayler Scott assigned to Lehigh Valley
9/12/2022 – Phillies activated RHP Zach Eflin from the 15-day IL
9/12/2022 – Phillies transferred RHP Mark Appel from the 7- to the 60-day IL, right elbow inflammation
9/12/2022 – Phillies optioned LHP Cristopher Sanchez to Lehigh Valley
9/12/2022 – Lehigh Valley placed CF Chris Sharpe on the 7-day IL retroactive to 9/10