The Phillies went 6-1 last week. They swept a 4-game series from the Reds and won a 3-game series from the Pirates.
A great week became a very good week when they laid another “day/Sunday/getaway” game egg against the Pirates. Now, they go on a 6-game, west coast road trip to play Arizona and San Francisco.
The Phillies’ remaining schedule is encouraging. They play 15 games in five very winnable series – 3 each at ARI, at SF, v. MIA, v. WAS, and at MIA. That takes them through September 15th. If things go as we all expect (um, hope), the Phillies should have a comfortable cushion for a wild card berth. They finish with 19 games in six series in which a playoff team should be able to compete favorably – 3 at ATL, 2 v. TOR, 4 v. ATL, 3 at CHC, 4 at WAS, 3 at HOU. They are on a pace to win more than the 85-86 games I had anticipated. Eighty-eight to 90 wins do not seem out of the question, anymore.
At 72-56, the Phillies are firmly in third place in the division, 9.5 games behind the Mets and 6.5 games behind Atlanta. Miami and Washington are out of competition for anything other than positioning in the draft pool.
The East and Central Division races are still competitive although Milwaukee is in danger of losing touch with St. Louis. The West is over. The seeding for the division winners looks to be set – West, East, Central.
The National League Wild Card race is down to a four-team race with the second-place finisher in the Central or West Division missing the playoffs. San Francisco’s latest losing streak has them four games under .500 and in bad shape. A good showing next weekend is imperative.
The Phillies are 2.5 games ahead of the Padres for the second wild card berth, with one game in hand and a 3-game lead in the loss column. The Brewers are 4.0 games back. The Phillies hold the tie-breaker advantage against both teams.
By merit of the first tie-breaker (head-to-head), the Phillies hold an advantage over Milwaukee (4-2), St. Louis (4-3), Los Angeles (4-3), San Diego (4-3), Colorado (5-2), Cincinnati (6-1), and Pittsburgh (6-1).
They clinched against Washington (10-2 with 7 to play).
They are ahead of Arizona (2-1 with 3 to play) and Miami (8-5 with 6 to play).
They are tied with Atlanta (6-6) with 7 to play.
They lost their season series with New York (5-14) and trail SanFrancisco (1-2 with 3 to play), and the Cubs (0-3) with 3 to play.
They have a 2-game series against the Blue Jays in September and close the season with 3 games in Houston.
The Phillies’ division record is 29-27. Their record against the other NL divisions is 36-21. Their interleague record, which doesn’t matter in tie-breakers, is 7-8.
- Head-to-head record
- Intradivision winning percentage
- Interdivision winning percentage
- Best record in the final 81 intraleague games of the season
- Best record in the final 82 intraleague games of the season (provided the game added is not between the tied teams), and continue one game back until the tie is broken
Key Dates: some are guesstimates. Bold dates are pretty much confirmed thru announcements, some digging, and some extrapolation from previous years. Italics are those dates that can’t yet be confirmed.
It has been a long time since we cared about playoff dates.
- October 3, 2022: Opening Day for the Arizona Fall League
- November 5, 2022: AFL Home Run Derby
- November 6, 2022: AFL Fall Stars Game
- November 11, 2022: AFL Play-in Semifinal
- November 12, 2022: AFL Championship Game
- October 5, 2022: Final scheduled day of the MLB regular season
- October 11, 2022: Opening Day for the Mexican Pacific League
- October 15, 2022: Opening Day for Dominican Winter League
- October 22, 2022: Opening Day for the Venezuelan Winter League
- October 28, 2022: MLB World Series begins (FOX)
- October 7-9, 2022: NL Wild Card A/B (ESPN)
- October 11-16, 2022: NLDS A/B (Fox or FS1)
- October 18-25, 2022: NLCS (Fox or FS1)
- November 2-6, 2022: Trading resumes the day after the World Series ends.
- November 6-10, 2022: Five days after the conclusion of the World Series is the deadline for teams to make qualifying offers to their eligible former players who became free agents.
- November 12, 2022: Start of the Colombian Winter League
- November 4, 2022: Opening Day for the Roberto Clemente Puerto Rico Professional Baseball League
- November 10, 2022: Opening Day for the Australian Baseball League
- November 16-20, 2022: Fifteen days after the conclusion of the World Series is the deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers.
- November 18 or 21, 2022: Deadline to submit 40-man rosters before Rule 5 Draft
- November, 2022: GM Meetings
- November, 2022: Owners Meetings
- November, 2022: MLBPA executive board meeting
- December 1, 2022 – Non-tender Deadline – The last day for teams to offer 2023 contracts to unsigned players (pre-arb and arb eligible) on their 40-man rosters. Non-tendered players become free agents.
- December 4-11, 2022: The 2022 Baseball Winter Meetings will take place in San Diego, California.
- December 9, 2022: Rule 5 Draft
- December 9, 2022: Opening Day for the Panamanian Baseball League
- December 15, 2022: Close of the 2021-2022 international signing period
- January 15, 2023: Opening of the 2022-2023 international signing period
- January, 2023: Deadline for teams and players to submit salary figures for arbitration
- February 2-10, 2023: Caribbean Series (Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Panama, Cuba, Curacao)
- February, 2023: Voluntary spring training reporting date for pitchers, catchers, and players recovering from injuries
- February, 2023: Voluntary spring training reporting date for position players
- February, 2023: Mandatory spring training reporting date
- February/March, 2023: First spring training games
- March/April, 2023: Opening Day for 2023 season
- July 2023: 2023 Rule 4 Amateur Draft
- December 15, 2023: Close of the 2022-2023 international signing period
This gives you a place to talk about the Phillies for the week.
Oh, I read the comments last week. I will stop with the cryptic statements about the Phillies. I’ll not interfere with those who wish to view them through rose-colored glasses. I agree that I shouldn’t leak things if I’m not going to reveal sources. And, yeah it sucks that I can’t be more clear sometimes. It’s better for me this way. My sources sometimes get antsy when I make certain comments. I don’t want to lose them. While I like being the guy who can tell stuff, I prefer knowing much more than I do telling.
Here are the transactions that were reported (or uncovered) this week.
8/28/2022 – LHP Jordi Martinez assigned to Jersey Shore from Clearwater
8/27/2022 – Phillies activated OF Brandon Marsh from the 10-day IL
8/27/2022 – Phillies designated CF Bradley Zimmer for assignment
8/27/2022 – LHP Matt Osterberg assigned to Reading from Clearwater
8/27/2022 – SS Sal Gozzo assigned to Jersey Shore from Reading
8/27/2022 – OF Emaarion Boyd assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/26/2022 – Phillies placed CF Simon Muzziotti on the 60-day IL, partial tear of right patellar tendon
8/26/2022 – Phillies activated RF Bryce Harper from the 60-day IL
8/26/2022 – Phillies recalled LHP Bailey Falter from Lehigh Valley
8/26/2022 – Phillies optioned 3B Yairo Munoz to Lehigh Valley
8/26/2022 – Lehigh Valley placed LHP Jace Fry on the 7-day IL
8/26/2022 – Lehigh Valley activated LHP Brian Marconi
8/26/2022 – LHP Brian Marconi assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
8/26/2022 – Clearwater placed C Ryan Leitch on the 7-day IL
8/26/2022 – RHP Josh Bortka assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/26/2022 – OF Dakota Kotowski assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/25/2022 – Phillies sent OF Brandon Marsh on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley
8/25/2022 – Phillies placed RHP Zack Wheeler on the 15-day IL retroactive to 8/22, right forearm tendinitis
8/25/2022 – Reading activated RHP Mike Adams from the Development List
8/25/2022 – Reading placed C Jack Conley on the temporarily inactive list
8/25/2022 – Reading transferred C Jack Conley to the Development List
8/25/2022 – SS Luis Garcia assigned to Reading from Jersey Shore
8/25/2022 – OF Ethan Wilson assigned to Reading from Jersey Shore
8/25/2022 – Jersey Shore activated RHP Victor Vargas from the 60-day IL
8/25/2022 – Jersey Shore transferred LHP Rafael Marcano to the Development List
8/25/2022 – 2B Hao Yu Lee assigned to Jersey Shore from Clearwater
8/25/2022 – OF Leandro Pineda assigned to Jersey Shore from Clearwater
8/25/2022 – RHP Sam Jacobsak assigned to Jersey Shore from Clearwater
8/25/2022 – Clearwater transferred RHP Victor Lopez to the Development List
8/25/2022 – Clearwater transferred LHP Gabriel Yanez to the Development List
8/25/2022 – Clearwater activated RHP Nicoly Pina
8/25/2022 – RHP Nicoly Pina assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/25/2022 – Clearwater activated LHP Andrew Walling
8/25/2022 – LHP Andrew Walling assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/25/2022 – Clearwater activated 3B Otto Kemp
8/25/2022 – 3B Otto Kemp assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/25/2022 – Clearwater activated OF Justin Crawford
8/25/2022 – OF Justin Crawford assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/25/2022 – Clearwater activated OF Jordan Viars
8/25/2022 – OF Jordan Viars assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/25/2022 – RHP Jesus Querales assigned to DSL White from DSL Red
8/25/2022 – 2B Marco Soto assigned to DSL White from DSL Red
8/24/2022 – Oakland claimed RHP Tyler Cyr off waivers from Phillies
8/24/2022 – Phillies optioned LHP Michael Plassmeyer to Lehigh Valley
8/24/2022 – Phillies recalled LHP Cristopher Sanchez from Lehigh Valley
8/24/2022 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated LHP Michael Plassmeyer.
8/24/2022 – Clearwater transferred RHP Cam Wynne to the Development List
8/24/2022 – Clearwater transferred RHP Alex Garbrick to the Development List
8/24/2022 – Clearwater activated RHP Orion Kerkering
8/24/2022 – Clearwater activated RHP Alex Rao
8/24/2022 – RHP Orion Kerkering assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/24/2022 – RHP Alex Rao assigned to Clearwater from FCL Phillies
8/24/2022 – RHP Alex McFarlane assigned to Clearwater from Phillies Organization
8/23/2022 – Phillies sent RF Bryce Harper on a rehab assignment to Lehigh Valley
8/23/2022 – Phillies optioned 1B Darick Hall to Lehigh Valley
8/23/2022 – Phillies recalled 3B Yairo Munoz from Lehigh Valley
8/23/2022 – Lehigh Valley activated 1B Darick Hall
8/23/2022 – Lehigh Valley activated LHP Jonathan Hennigan from the temporarily inactive list
8/23/2022 – Lehigh Valley activated C Donny Sands from the 7-day IL
8/23/2022 – Reading placed RHP McKinley Moore on the 7-day IL retroactive to 8/22
8/23/2022 – Clearwater placed 2B Alexeis Azuaje on the 7-day IL retroactive to 8/22
8/23/2022 – Clearwater transferred LHP Jordan Fowler to the Development List
8/23/2022 – RHP Chase Webster assigned to FCL Phillies
8/23/2022 – Phillies signed free agent RHP Chase Webster to a minor league contract
8/22/2022 – Phillies selected the contract of LHP Michael Plassmeyer from Lehigh Valley
8/22/2022 – Phillies designated RHP Tyler Cyr for assignment
8/22/2022 – C Jack Conley assigned to Reading from Lehigh Valley
8/22/2022 – Jersey Shore activated C Nick Matera from the 60-day IL
8/22/2022 – Jersey Shore transferred C Adony Mejia to the Development List