Day 19 of Mister Manfred’s lockout. No action on the negotiating front. No likelihood of any for a few weeks, it seems. The Phillies did sign a few more free agents and invited them to Spring Training.
I think the following paragraphs from last week’s article bear repeating since I still see player acquisition suggestions that are framed around the potential use of players in a role that may not exist in the National League.
The Designated Hitter: The longer the two sides fail to reach an agreement, the less likely it is that there will be a designated hitter in the National League next season. Why? The Basic Agreement is about economic issues. Rule changes are not normally discussed during these negotiations. They are handled separately by a rules committee. And, Manfred already stated that those negotiations would not be held concurrently with the basic agreement negotiations. So, figure on no DH this season.
Additionally, the DH would benefit both sides. For some reason, the owners see it as a bargaining chip and want something in return for it. The DH is not an additional player added to the 26-man roster. He is the conversion of an existing player to a DH. With a limit of 13 pitchers already on the books, teams seemingly committed to 8-man bullpens, and teams drifting away from DH-only type positions, the DH will likely become a hybrid corner infielder/outfielder who can hit with power and field his positions at a not quite so almost average skill level.
The designated hitter and all other rule changes are separate from the CBA. It is very likely that there will not be a designated hitter in the National League next season.
Since this will be the last article before the holiday other than polls, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
This is the courtesy thread for comments and discussion about the Phillies and other BASEBALL topics.
Rosters and Stuff
- organization’s rosters (12/12/21)
- organization’s injury list (12/12/21)
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility (12/12/21) (includes player info, assignments, …)
- December 1, 2021: CBA expires
- December 2, 2021: Manfred locks out players
- December 15, 2021: Close of the 2020-21 international signing period
- January 28,2022: Caribbean Series
- TBA: Minor League spring training reporting date (probably late February)
- April 5, 2022: Lehigh Valley season opener at home v. Columbus
- April 8, 2022: Clearwater season opener at home v. Fort Myers
- April 8, 2022: Jersey Shore season opener at home v. Aberdeen
- April 8, 2022: Reading season opener at home v. Somerset
12/14/2021 – Phillies signed FA 2B Wendell Rijo to an MiLB contract w/ST invite
12/14/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Tyler Cyr to an MiLB contract w/ST invite
12/14/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Joe Gatto to an MiLB contract w/ST invite
12/14/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Jake Newberry to an MiLB contract w/ST invite
12/14/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Cam Bedrosian to an MiLB contract w/ST invite