The Phillies had a bad week, almost a very bad week, going 2-5. They started with a series-ending victory over the Braves before going on the road. They were swept by the Angels in Anaheim and were on their way to being swept by the Rockies until a ninth inning rally produced their second win of the week. They have a 40-69 record and a .367 PCT.
The Phillies are 6 games into a brutal scheduling sequence. After the Rockies game they are traveling to Atlanta where they will have an off day and a 2-game series, then home for 4 games against the Mets, then back out west for 3 games against the Padres and 4 against the Giants. Their next off day is on August 21st.
The Phillies are 25.0 games out of first place in the East Division. They are 9.0 games behind the fourth place Mets. They are 22.0 games behind the Diamondbacks in the Wild Card race.
Now, the race we might have a chance to win –
|Bottom 10 Teams||W||L||PCT||GB||L10||STRK||PCT 7/31||Net Gain/Loss|
|Chi White Sox||41||68||0.376||1.0||2-8||L6||0.392||1.0|
The Phillies’ difficult week caused most teams to fall back. However, the White Sox did close to within 1.0 game back. The Sox jettisoned several good players before the trade deadline and will likely be difficult to beat out in the “race for last place”. In spite of the beginning of the Phillies’ road trip, and in spite of their moving some of their veteran players, I remained unconvinced that they will begin losing at a greater rate with young players filling new roles (although, Aaron Altherr’s loss is vexing).
In addition to the White Sox, the Phillies must contend with a bad Giants team and a perennially tanking Reds squad. The race to 1:1 remains interesting.
And a reminder that this is a Phillies’ prospects site, a future Phillies site if you will. So, it is not uncommon for readers to seemingly root against the big league club. Bonus money, both Amateur Draft and International FA, is the currency for rebuilding an organization. The lower a major league team finishes the more Rule 4 money a team will receive (International money fixed allotments are defined in the CBA).
If a team isn’t going to make the playoffs, it makes sense to finish as low as possible to maximize the money received to spend on draft picks. Now, major league players, managers, and coaches don’t care about this and we can be assured that they are playing to win. But, that doesn’t stop fans from rooting for the best possible outcome for their teams, even when that means hoping they lose. And, they certainly shouldn’t be chastised for voicing those feelings here.
I have added new Google sheets. In addition to the organization’s rosters at the bottom of the Transactions section, you will find the organization’s injury list and the organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list. ALL are current as of today, August 6, 2017.
Key dates remaining:
- August 31st, 11:59 PM EST – Waiver Trade Deadline
- December 10-14th – Winter Meetings in Orlando
- December 14th – Rule 5 Draft
- 8/5 – Phillies recalled Cameron Perkins from Lehigh Valley
- 8/5 – Phillies placed RF Aaron Altherr on the 10-day DL. Right hamstring strain
- 8/5 – RHP Franklyn Kilome assigned to Reading from Clearwater
- 8/5 – RHP Sixto Sanchez assigned to Clearwater from Lakewood
- 8/5 – LHP Jonathan Hennigan assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/4 – Phillies optioned Jake Thompson to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/4 – Phillies optioned Ty Kelly to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/4 – Phillies recalled Jorge Alfaro from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/4 – Phillies recalled Ricardo Pinto from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/4 – Lehigh Valley placed SS Hector Gomez on the 7-day DL retroactive to 8/2/17. Left hip flexor strain
- 8/4 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated RHP Tom Eshelman from the 7-Day disabled list
- 8/4 – C Nick Rickles assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/4 – C Austin Bossart assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Clearwater Threshers
- 8/4 – Clearwater sent SS Jose Gomez on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- 8/4 – CF Carlos Duran assigned to Clearwater Threshers from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 8/4 – Mauricio Llovera assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
- 8/4 – Jonathan Hennigan assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
- 8/4 – Bailey Falter assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/3 – Clearwater Threshers activated CF Mark Laird from the 7-Day DL
- 8/3 – CF Carlos Duran assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Clearwater
- 8/2 – Phillies activated LF Daniel Nava from the 10-day disabled list
- 8/2 – Phillies optioned RHP Drew Anderson to Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/2 – Phillies optioned CF Cameron Perkins to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/2 – Phillies recalled RHP Edubray Ramos from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/2 – LHP McKenzie Mills assigned to Clearwater Threshers
- 8/2 – Rafael Carvajal assigned to GCL Phillies from Clearwater Threshers
- 8/1 – Phillies recalled RHP Drew Anderson from Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/1 – Lehigh Valley IronPigs activated RHP Edubray Ramos from the 7-day DL
- 8/1 – RHP Jose Taveras assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading
- 8/1 – Harold Martinez assigned to Reading Fightin Phils from Lehigh Valley
- 8/1 – Reading Fightin Phils released SS Jorge Flores
- 8/1 – RHP Seth McGarry assigned to Clearwater Threshers
- 8/1 – Lakewood BlueClaws placed C Henri Lartigue on the 7-day disabled list
- 8/1 – Colby Fitch assigned to Lakewood BlueClaws from Williamsport
- 7/31 – Phillies traded RHP Joaquin Benoit to Pittsburgh Pirates for RHP Seth McGarry
- 7/31 – RHP Jacob Waguespack assigned to Reading from Clearwater Threshers
- 7/31 – RHP Rafael Carvajal assigned to Clearwater Threshers from GCL Phillies
- 7/31 – RF Juan Luis assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 7/31 – LHP Casey Brown assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/31 – OF Austin Listi assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 7/31 – LHP Bailey Falter assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 7/31 – Reading sent LHP Elniery Garcia on a rehab assignment to GCL Phillies
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the
Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.