Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
The 40-Man Roster stands at 33 players. Andres Blanco, Peter Bourjos, A.J. Ellis, and David Hernandez elected free agency. Jeremy Hellickson has neither accepted nor declined the Qualifying Offer. His deadline is 5:00 PM Monday. If he declines, he becomes a free agent.
Key dates during the off season are as follows:
- 11/3, 9:00 AM – Organizations began an exclusive five-day negotiation window (referred to as “the quiet period” in the CBA) with their own free agents.
- 11/7, 5:00 PM – Deadline for organizations to submit qualifying offers to their free agents. This year’s QO is $17.2M. This was also the deadline for organizations to exercise any club/mutual options.
- 11/8-10 – GM meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz.
- 11/8 – Free agents became eligible to sign with any team.
- 11/14, 5:00 PM – Deadline for players to accept/reject qualifying offers. Those who decline will become free agents.
- 11/18 – Deadline for roster expansion to 40 players prior to the Rule 5 draft. (Since Nov 20th falls on a weekend, it is likely the Friday prior becomes the final date.)
- 12/1 – The current collective bargaining agreement expires.
- 12/2 – Deadline for teams to tender contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, including arbitration-eligible players. Non-tendered players become free agents. Tendered players who are arbitration eligible who do not accept the tender proceed to the arbitration process in February.
- 12/5-8 – Winter Meetings in National Harbor, MD.
- 12/8 – Rule 5 draft.
- February – Salary arbitration hearings.
- 2/14 – First workout for pitchers and catchers.
- 2/17 – First full-squad workout.
- 2/23 – Phillies’ spring training game v. University of Tampa.
- 2/24 – Grapefruit League games begin. Tentative schedule here.
- 3/6-22 – World Baseball Classic.
- 4/2-3 – Opening Night/Opening Day.
(Pinned Reminder: Matt Harrison will remain on the 40-man roster until the end of spring training, at which time he can be added to the 60-day disabled list. If they release Harrison, they will will lose the insurance money on his $13M guaranteed contract.)
The Phillies traded Darin Ruf and Darnell Sweeney to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Howie Kendrick. Immediate plans are for Kendrick to play left field. Cesar Hernandez is not being shopped around according to Matt Klentak.
The Atlanta Braves signed two 40+ free agent pitchers this week, 41-year old R.A. Dickey ($8M for 2017 with an $8M team option w/$500K buyout for 2018) and 44-year old Bartolo Colon ($12.5M for 2017). If both remain in the Braves’ rotation, the Phillies can look forward to maybe seeing the pair 5-6 times each during the 2017 season.
I covered a tournament at the Complex this past week. Can you identify this former major leager? Answer at the end of the post.
Need a hint? He spent most of his career in the American League and didn’t log a plate appearance until his 9th major league season.
Cumulative transactions: (Transactions will continue to be listed here, minor league specific transactions will also be posted in the weekly minor league discussion.)
- 11/11 – Los Angeles Dodgers traded LF Howie Kendrick to Philadelphia Phillies for 1B Darin Ruf and 2B Darnell Sweeney.
- 11/10 – RHP Luis Pacheco assigned to DSL Phillies
- 11/10 – RHP Jose Perez assigned to DSL Phillies2.
- 11/07 – 3B Carlos Alonso elected free agency.
- 11/07 – LHP Anthony Vasquez elected free agency.
- 11/07 – RHP Gregory Infante elected free agency.
- 11/07 – DH Jake Fox elected free agency.
- 11/07 – C Gabriel Lino elected free agency.
- 11/07 – RF Christian Marrero elected free agency.
- 11/07 – SS KC Serna elected free agency.
- 11/4 – Traded a PTBNL or cash to the Houston Astros for RHP Pat Neshek.
- 11/3 – Philadelphia activated LHP Matt Harrison from the 60-day disabled list.
- 11/3 – Philadelphia activated RHP Zach Eflin from the 60-day disabled list.
- 11/3 – Philadelphia activated RHP Charlie Morton from the 60-day disabled list.
- 11/3 – Philadelphia activated RHP Aaron Nola from the 60-day disabled list.
- 11/3 – C A.J. Ellis elected free agency.
- 11/3 – 2B Andres Blanco elected free agency.
- 11/3 – RHP David Hernandez elected free agency.
- 11/3 – 1B Ryan Howard elected free agency.
- 11/3 – RHP Charlie Morton elected free agency.
- 11/3 – RF Peter Bourjos elected free agency.
- 10/26 – IF Juan Herrera assigned to DSL Phillies2.
- 10/25 – Signed free agent RHP Alexis Araujo to a minor league contract.
- 10/25 – OF Maximo De La Rosa assigned to DSL Phillies.
- 10/25 – RHP Scot Hoffman assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 10/25 – LHP Casey Brown assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters.
- 10/15 – 2B Emmanuel Burriss elected free agency.
- 10/13 – Signed free agent OF Luis Matos to a minor league contract.
- 10/13 – RHP Frank Herrmann elected free agency.
- 10/10 – RF Jimmy Paredes elected free agency.
- 10/10 – LHP Patrick Schuster elected free agency.
- 10/8 – DSL Phillies activated RHP Gregorix Mateo.
- 10/7 – Outrighted Frank Herrmann, Dalier Hinojosa, Emmanuel Burriss, Patrick Schuster, Jimmy Paredes, and Colton Murray to Lehigh Valley.
- 10/6 – Phillies signed free agent LHP Casey Brown to a minor league contract.
- 10/5 – DSL Phillies activated 3B Leonardo Colagrossi from the 60-day disabled list.
- Re-signed FA RHP Miguel Nunez
- 10/6 – RHP Derwuin Marchan assigned to DSL Phillies2 (Signed July 2, 2016).
- 10/4 – Signed NDFA RHP Scot Hoffman
- 10/3 – RF Cedric Hunter elected free agency.
- 10/3 – LHP James Russell elected free agency.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent RHP Jose Perez to a minor league contract.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent C Ronald Torrealba to a minor league contract.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent RHP Luis Pacheco to a minor league contract.
- Re-signed Chace Numata
- The organization rosters are up to date.
Did you guess Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd? He pitched earlier during the tournament, but I didn’t see that game. He played second in this game and lined out to the right side after I took this picture. He is 57 years old and was playing in a 35+ division. Although Boyd pitched in the 1986 World Series, the DH was in effect when he pitched in Boston. He didn’t record his first major league plate appearance until he joined the Montreal Expos in 1990.