Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics.
No new transactional housekeeping moves by the Phillies this week. But they did report the earlier signings of some free agents to minor league contracts – RHP Jose Perez, C Ronald Torrealba, and RHP Luis Pacheco. They also announced the assignment of a player to one of the DSL teams who had been signed during the summer, RHP Derwuin Marchan.
None of these signings had an affect on the 40-man roster which still stands at 34. But, the Phillies still have four players on the 60-day DL (Zach Eflin, Matt Harrison, Charlie Morton, and Aaron Nola). Well before the Rule 5 Draft, they will be returned to the 40-man roster.
Reminder, one transaction that cannot take place is the release of Matt Harrison. He is under contract and cannot be released until he has demonstrated that he has rehabilitated from his injury. So, when you contemplate the make up of the Phillies 40-man roster, remember that Harrison will be counted as a member of the 40-man roster at least until the end of spring training when he can be added to the 60-day disabled list, if necessary.
In addition to James Russell and Cedric Hunter declaring free agency, Patrick Schuster, Jimmy Paredes, and Frank Herrmann have declared free agency.
Chace Numata re-signed in September. Miguel Nunez has recently re-signed.
Frank Herrmann, Jimmy Paredes and Patrick Schuster elected free agency. Unless transactions for the three remaining outrighted players post belatedly, it looks like Colton Murray, Dalier Hinojosa, and Emmanuel Burriss have accepted their outright assignments.
Winter league baseball has started. The Venezuelan League began games on October 6th. The Arizona Fall League and the Mexican Pacific League began on Tuesday, October 11th. You can check on the progress of our prospects here.
The Dominican Winter League begins on Thursday, October 20th. The Puerto Rican League begins on October 27th.
The Colombian Baseball League opens on November 4th (3-4 Phillies are headed to Colombia, I heard Tobias, Numata, Laird, and maybe one more) and the Australian Baseball League opens on November 17th ( I heard no Phillies because Australia’s WBC wants to ensure the ABL is used to develop Australian baseball players, therefore there is no longer an agreement with MLB to provide players).
- 10/13 – RHP Frank Herrmann elected free agency.
- 10/10 – RF Jimmy Paredes elected free agency.
- 10/10 – LHP Patrick Schuster elected free agency.
- 10/7 – Outrighted Frank Herrmann, Dalier Hinojosa, Emmanuel Burriss, Patrick Schuster, Jimmy Paredes, and Colton Murray to Lehigh Valley.
- 10/6 – Phillies signed free agent LHP Casey Brown to a minor league contract.
- Signed NDFA RHP Scott Hoffman
- Re-signed FA RHP Miguel Nunez
- 10/6 – RHP Derwuin Marchan assigned to DSL Phillies2 (Signed July 2, 2016).
- 10/3 – RF Cedric Hunter elected free agency.
- 10/3 – LHP James Russell elected free agency.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent RHP Jose Perez to a minor league contract.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent C Ronald Torrealba to a minor league contract.
- 10/3 – Signed free agent RHP Luis Pacheco to a minor league contract.
- Re-signed Chace Numata