Here’s the open discussion thread for Phillies’ talk and other topics. Slow week as we head into the week before Christmas. Or should I say the week before the holiday we aren’t supposed to acknowledge lest we upset somebody. Well, screw that. I would like to wish all visitors to the site a “Merry Christmas!”. You would not believe how much pressure was put on us, when I worked for the government, to refrain from saying that. Not by the government, but by a handful of peers and co-workers. A very small handful.
This week the Phillies sustained a few more additions to and a couple subtractions from their tranaction list. The Phillies:
- invited non-roster players Angelys Nina and Greg Burke spring training .
- signed free agents catcher J.P. Arencibia , RHP Ernesto Frieri , RHP Gregory Infante to minor league contracts with invitations to spring training;
- lost recently acquired A.J. Achter to the Angels to a waiver claim;
- signed free agents RHP Edward Mujica and RHP Andrew Bailey to minor league contracts with invitations to spring training; and
- traded recently acquired Dan Otero to the Cleveland Indians for cash.
The Phillies also announced their 2016 player development staff and minor league coaching staffs in a December 15th article and announced several changes to their 2016 Spring Training schedule back on December 11th.
Around the league, Jonathan Papelbon updated his 2016 no-trade list. The Phillies are among the 12 teams he can be traded to without his permission. Oh, the horror!
Brandon Phillips played chicken with the last place Reds and very likely missed out on a trade to the playoff contending Nationals.
Will Middlebrooks signed a minor league deal with the Brewers. I remember when he was discussed as a trade piece in a potential deal with the Red Sox. Whew!
Sorry this doesn’t have the comprehensive updates as previous issues. Out-of-town company for Christmas, post-surgery restrictions, coming off the pain meds are all contributing to less time at the keyboard. I do have a rather lengthy article on SP written and near completely factually verified. A lot different from the weekly discussion posts. I hope to post it this week, as well as return to the weekly format and start the Reader Top 30 soon.