The Phillies made a major trade Wednesday when they sent Ken Giles to the Astros. I figured that we would need a thread to discuss the impending Rule 5 Draft and had intended to post this tomorrow, but the Giles trade has accelerated the publishing of this post. I’ll include the draft news as it occurs tomorrow.
The Phillies’ week started off slowly as they outrighted Joely Rodriguez off the 40-man roster on the 7th. They followed that up with the FA signing of right-handed, relief pitcher David Hernandez early on the 9th. And then, the rumors that had buzzed all week around Ken Giles came to fruition when a trade of the closer was announced to Houston for RHP Vincent Velasquez, LHP Brett Oberholtzer, OF Derek Fisher, and RHP Thomas Eshelman. An apparent irregularity in Derek Fisher’s physical led to some additional bargaining until the deal was concluded and announced Saturday. The Astros will receive Giles and minor league SS Jonathan Arauz in exchange for Velasquez, Oberholtzer, Eshelman, Mark Appel, and Harold Arauz. Daniel Otero was designated to create room on the 40-man roster.
Velasquez possess a mid-90s FB and has started and pitched out of the bullpen for the Astros this past season. Oberholtzer has a sub-90s fastball. Fisher hit 22 HRs and posted a .275/.364/.483 across A and A+ ball last season. He also saw some action in the Arizona Fall League this year. He was ranked as their #8 prospect by MLB.
Before the Giles trade, I read on Twitter that Todd Zolecki confirmed that the Phillies will definitely select OF Tyler Goeddel with their first pick in the Rule 5 Draft. If true, I don’t think acquiring Fisher would change that.
The 40-man stands at 39. The addition of the 2 Rule 5 selections will require another move to bring the 40-man roster to 40.
Rule 5 Draft Selections
- Tyler Goeddel – a right-handed 3B/OF from the Rays AA affiliate
- Daniel Stumpf – a LHP, reliever from the Royals AA affiliate
Transactions During the Winter Meetings
- 12/10 – Selected Tyler Goeddel in major league portion of the Rule 5 Draft
- 12/10 – Selected Daniel Stumpf in major league portion of the Rule 5 Draft
- 12/10 – Manaure Martinez selected by the CWS in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 Draft
- 12/9 – Traded Ken Giles to Astros for RHP Vincent Velasquez, LHP Brett Oberholtzer, OF Derek Fisher, and RHP Tom Eshelman.
- 12/9 – Signed free agent RHP David Hernandez.
- 12/7 – Outrighted Joely Rodriguez to LHV.
The following is an update of the Phillies’ offseason roster status, which currently stands at 39 players –
Guaranteed Contracts (6) – contract information from COTS
- Matt Harrison ($13M for 2016 and 2017, $13.5M club option or $2M buyout for 2018
- Charlie Morton
- Carlos Ruiz ($8.5M for 2016, $4.5M club option or $0.5M buyout for 2017)
- Andres Blanco ($1.0M) – reached arbitration agreement for 2016 at $1.45M
- Ryan Howard ($25M for 2016, $23M club option or $10M buyout for 2017)
- Peter Bourjos (1.8M) – reached arbitration agreement for 2016 at $2M
- Miguel Gonzalez ($4M for 2016, and a vesting option for 2017). Not on 40-man, outrighted to LHV back on 4/1/2015.
Arbitration Eligible Players (3) – salary projections from Tim Dierkes of MLBTR
Remaining roster players (31) –
- Elvis Araujo,
- Alec Asher,
- Jesse Biddle,
- David Buchanan,
- Jimmy Cordero,
- Jerad Eickhoff,
- Luis Garcia,
- Severino Gonzalez,
- David Hernandez,
- Dalier Hinojosa,
- Mario Hollands,
- Michael Mariot,
- Adam Morgan,
- Colton Murray,
- Hector Neris,
- Aaron Nola,
- Brett Oberholtzer,
- Edubray Ramos,
- Daniel Stumpf,
- Vincent Valequez,
- Jorge Alfaro,
- Cameron Rupp,
- Maikel Franco,
- Cesar Hernandez,
- Darin Ruf,
- Darnell Sweeney,
- Aaron Altherr,
- Cody Asche,
- Tyler Goeddel,
- Odubel Herrera,
- Roman Quinn,