Lehigh Valley fell 7-1 as Chad Billingsley had a rough outing. He went 5.0 innings and threw 53 strikes on 78 pitches. He allowed 7 runs on 8 hits and 2 walks. Maikel Franco went 2 for 4 and picked up his 10th RBI with his 9th double. Jason Berken pitched 3.0 scoreless innings. Colton Murray pitched a clean ninth inning.
Reading was 2-hit through 7.0 innings by Harrisburg’s Joe Ross, the Washington Nationals #5 prospect. He also struck out 8 Phils. Zach Eflin was ejected in the second inning for alledgedly throwing behind SS Stephen Perez, the player whose hard slide injured Carlos Alonzo the night before. (Another report stated that it was for arguing the strike zone.) Roman Quinn recorded an outfield assist. With Ross out of the game Reading rallied and tied the game in the 8th on a pinch hit double by Brock Stassi, a SF from Casey Serna, and a double by Aaron Altherr. But Elvis Araujo pitched into trouble and Ryan O’Sullivan couldn’t minimize the damage and Reading lost 7-4.
Clearwater lost in Lakeland 4-1. David Whitehead struck out 6 but allowed 2 home runs in 6.2 innings. Chase Harris started in CF and had an RBI single, walk, and stolen base. Willians Astudillo added 2 hits and extended his hit streak to 14 games. Andrew Knapp was ejected in the third inning after arguing a batter’s interference call. Jiwan James homered against his old organization.
Lakewood’s comeback against Hagerstown fell short, 6-5. Carlos Tocci extended his hitting streak to 12 games with an 8th inning RBI single. He was picked off second by the pitcher later to end the inning. Tocci struck out with the bases loaded on a 3-2 pitch to end the game an inning later. Malquin Canelo and Tim Zeir had 2-hit games. The ‘Claws commited 3errors that helped extend Suns’ scoring opportunities and provided them with 2 unearned runs.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
Extra innings –
- J.P. Crawford went 3 for 4 as DH in XST today. Three line drives. Hustle double after the umpire scolded him back into the batter’s box. Double came off a LHP. More here.
- Wide discrepancy on the two teams’ guns today. Sometimes as many as 4 mph. Resolved enough to ascertain that Franklyn Kilome was 95-96 today. He pitched 4.0 strong innings. After the umpire ruled in the Blue Jays’ favor on a close play at the plate, a visibly angry Kilome got the final out of the inning on 3 nasty off-speed pitches. (Controlled rage directed at the batter, I like that.)
- Hoby Milner pitched one inning, high 80’s FB, T90.
- Yacksel Rios pitched 2.0 innings, 93-94 FB.
- Chace Numata crushed a 2-run, game-tying home run to RF.
- Over on the other field, Feliberto Sanchez pitched a rehab inning using the new arm slot the org has him trying. His high 80s FB showed more movement. He had 2 Ks and a ground out in 1.0 inning.
- Reading placed INF Carlos Alonso, who had to be assisted off the field last night after a collision at second, on the 7-Day DL with a left knee strain.
- INF Brodie Greene was assigned to Reading from Clearwater.
- Clearwater placed Lino Martinez, who left the game after pitching to one batter in the 7th inning lasat night, on the 7-Day DL.
- Will Morris was assigned to Clearwater from the GCL Phillies.
- Harold Guerrero was assigned to Clearwater from XST.
- Matt Imhof’s injury has been furter identified as bicep tendonitis. (per Matt Eddy of BA)
- Thursday evening, Dylan Cozens was assesed a strike for stepping out of the batter’s box.