This is the courtesy thread for comments and discussion about the Phillies and other BASEBALL topics. Thank you Matt for having my back. I hope it all amounts to nothing. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
It was a busy week for the Phillies. They hired an Assistant GM, a Special Assistant to the GM, finished second in the NL Cy Young race, won the NL MVP award, claimed a pitcher off waivers, traded 3 low-level prospects for MLB ready depth at catcher and pitcher, added 4 players from within to the 40-man roster, re-signed a FA pitcher, signed another FA pitcher, signed two more international free agents, saw their prospects “jobbed” out of an opportunity to play in the AFL championship game, and won the AFL’s Stetson Award.
Some surprising things this week are that the Phillies are actually announcing things timely, one of the benefits of a new PR guy (?), and Jon Heyman has actually been accurate on some of his posts on Twitter. At least the ones about the Phillies. The keyword is some. But, he hasn’t been as annoying as in recent years. Yet.
The new AGM is Anirudh Kilambi. He’s out of the Rays’ organization. He’ll oversee the Phillies R&D division. He will hopefully be able to correct some of the deficiencies getting the information from the nerds to the coaches in language that will be helpful.
Special Assistant Howie Kendrick will report to Sam Fuld. They also hired Brian Kaplan as assistant pitching coach and director of pitching development and Jason Camilli as assistant hitting coach to recently hired Kevin Long.
Zach Wheeler finished second in the NL CY Young race, Bryce Harper won the NL MVP, and Logan O’Hoppe won the AFL Dernell Stenson Sportsmanship Award.
Additions and subtractions include re-signing RHP Tyler Phillips; claiming LHP Emanuel Kent off waivers; signing FA RHP Bubby Rossman, IFA OF Jerffson Pena, IFA RHP Adilson Peralta; trading for C Garrett Stubbs, C Donny Sands, RHP Nick Nelson for low-level prospects 3B TJ Rumfield, OF Logan Cerny, and DSL LHP Joel Valdez; recalling Simon Muzziotti (last month); releasing DSL RHP Wilberson Liendo (back in August); and selecting the contracts of SS Luis Garcia, RHP James McArthur, and RF Jhailyn Ortiz in preparation for the Rule 5 draft.
The Peoria Javelinas, the team our AFL prospects were on, were told Friday morning that if they won and Surprise beat Glendale, they would qualify for the championship game against Mesa. After the game, they were told a different tie-breaker would be used and Surprise would represent their division. I got this information from one of the Javelinas players. I’m not surprised, The Saguras had the Yankees’ prospects on their team and the game was televised nationally on MLB. $$$
We’re getting close to the end of the current CBA. I’ve been expecting a lockout at the earliest possible date. However, I don’t know if that is as likely to happen as early as I expected. In spite of early reports of a huge gulf between the parties, it appears that negotiations are moving along. One of the best indicators is that the usual water carriers for the owners aren’t reporting negatively as they were during the 2020 COVID/schedule negotiations.
I’ve also seen the impatience in the comments for some action by the Phillies. Rest assured that the wheels are turning. I’m not referring to the minor moves above, but actual offers to real players. The Phillies are in on a lot of the players as reported in social media, not all but a lot. They’ve even made offers to several free agents.
FWIW, I believe that DD would like to avoid losing a draft pick or trading our top prospects. I think that trades will be made to acquire a SS and closer. I think that the rest of the holes will be filled through free agency. If things can’t go according to plan, I believe only then will he dip into prospect capital. Signing a QO guy is still less likely. Not only is there a penalty but that player will likely command a larger contract that DD can afford. Oh, I also believe that he’s not going over the tax threshold as things stand now.
Rosters and Stuff
- organization’s rosters (11/21)
- organization’s injury list (11/21)
- organization’s Rule 5 eligibility (11/21) (includes player info, assignments, …)
Key Dates: Most dates have been confirmed. Some are guesstimates based on previous years. Italics are those dates that will be dependent on the new CBA, dates in BOLD text are confirmed.
- October 5, 2021: Opening Day for the Mexican Pacific League ( thru 12/23)
- October 13, 2021: Opening Day for the Arizona Fall League
- October 23, 2021: Opening Day for the Venezuelan Winter League (thru 12/22)
- October 27, 2021: Opening Day for Dominican Winter League (thru 12/17)
- November 3, 2021: Trading resumes, start of the 5-day “quiet period” before free agency
- November 6, 2021: Opening Day for the Roberto Clemente’ Puerto Rico Professional Baseball League (thru 1/22/22)
- November 7, 2021: Deadline for teams to make qualifying offers (QO) to their eligible former players who became free agents
- November 14, 2021: Opening Day for the Colombian Winter League (ends the penultimate week of January)
- November 17, 2021: Deadline for free agents to accept qualifying offers
- November 8-11, 2021: GM Meetings (Carlsbad, CA)
- November TBA: Owners meetings (Nov. 19-21, Arlington, TX in 2019)
- November 19, 2021: Deadline to submit 40-man rosters before Rule 5 Draft
- November TBA: MLBPA executive board meeting (Nov. 26-29 in Irving, TX in 2018)
- December 1, 2021: CBA expires
- December 2, 2021 – Non-tender Deadline – last day for teams to offer 2022 contracts to unsigned players (pre-arb and arb eligible) on their 40-man rosters. Non-tendered players become free agents.
- December 6-9, 2021: The 2021 Baseball Winter Meetings will take place at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin in Orlando, Florida.
- December 8, 2021: Rule 5 Draft
- December 9, 2021: Opening Day for the Panamanian Baseball League (thru (January)
- December 2021: The 2021-22 Australian Baseball League season was was cancelled in an announcement on October 20th.
- December 15, 2021: Close of the 2020-21 international signing period
- January TBA – Rookie Career Development Program
- January 14, 2022: Deadline for teams and arb eligible players to submit salary figures to the arbiter
- January 15, 2022 – Start of the 2021-22 international signing period (thru 12/15)
- January 28,2022: Start of the Caribbean Series (thru 2/3, with one team from each winter league – Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Panama)
- February 16, 2022 – Voluntary spring training reporting date for pitchers, catchers, and players recovering from injuries
- February 21, 2022 – Voluntary spring training reporting date for position players
- February 23, 2022 – Mandatory spring training reporting date
- February 26, 2022: at New York Yankees (Tampa), Time TBA
- February 27, 2022: v. Minnesota Twins (Clearwater) (SS) 1:05 PM
- March 31, 2022: Opening Day for 2022 season
- March 31, 2022: Phillies season opener at Houston Astros
- April 5, 2022: Lehigh Valley season opener at home v. Columbus
- April 8, 2022: Phillies home opener v. Oakland A’s at 3:05 PM
- April 8, 2022: Clearwater season opener at home v. Fort Myers
- April 8, 2022: Jersey Shore season opener at home v. Aberdeen
- April 8, 2022: Reading season opener at home v. Somerset
- July 2022: Rule 4 Amateur Draft
Transactions (2021 has been archived, 2022 began on October 5th)
11/19/2021 – Houston traded C Garrett Stubbs to Phillies for OF Logan Cerny
11/19/2021 – NYY traded RHP Nick Nelson and C Donny Sands to Phillies for 3B T.J. Rumfield and LHP Joel Valdez
11/19/2021 – Phillies selected the contract of SS Luis Garcia from Jersey Shore
11/19/2021 – Phillies selected the contract of RHP James McArthur from Reading
11/19/2021 – Phillies selected the contract of RF Jhailyn Ortiz from Reading
11/19/2021 – Phillies claimed LHP Kent Emanuel off waivers from Houston
11/16/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Adilson Peralta to a minor league contract
11/16/2021 – RHP Adilson Peralta assigned to DSL Phillies White
11/16/2021 – Phillies signed FA OF Jerffson Pena to a minor league contract
11/16/2021 – OF Jerffson Pena assigned to DSL Red
11/09/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Bubby Rossman to a minor league contract
11/09/2021 – RHP Bubby Rossman assigned to Jersey Shore
11/06/2021 – Phillies signed FA RHP Tyler Phillips to a minor league contract
11/06/2021 – RHP Tyler Phillips assigned to Reading
10/04/2021 – Phillies recalled CF Simon Muzziotti from Lehigh Valley
8/20/2021 – DSL Phillies Red released RHP Wilberson Liendo
8/20/2021 – Phillies released LHP Anton Kuznetsov
8/13-24/2021 – Phillies released RHP Brendan Bell